Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 22:47   #31

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: splicing anchor line to chain without thimble.

When I said weave the 3 strand rope thru two feet of chain I didn't mean to separate the strands. Put the rope thru the chain links in alternating fashion. In top of link and then in bottom of next link. Do that for a few feet of chain and put figure 8 in end of rope. I would guess it's near 100% of rope strength.
kmacdonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 01:05   #32

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

The best chain splice strength for which you can hope is 80%. Most are less than that. I would use a better thimble--that will give you a better option than having a looped back splice.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 05:00   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
When I said weave the 3 strand rope thru two feet of chain I didn't mean to separate the strands. Put the rope thru the chain links in alternating fashion. In top of link and then in bottom of next link. Do that for a few feet of chain and put figure 8 in end of rope. I would guess it's near 100% of rope strength.
For 5/16 chain that won't work for any rope over 1/2 inch.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 09:23   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Here's a link to the way the folks above are discussing: https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-ma...20the%20anchor.

However, there is also another way, where you just weave your way down the chain, alternating strands, for at least 6 iterations per strand. Should be over a foot long, depending on your link size.

Ann
Ann,
That looks like a butt splice in the link. It even simplifies which strand starts out backwards.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 12:28   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
The best chain splice strength for which you can hope is 80%. Most are less than that. I would use a better thimble--that will give you a better option than having a looped back splice.

Boat US ran a bunch of tests (google it) that averaged 88%. Eye splices with thimbles averaged about 90%.
Old 13-03-2022, 12:31   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For 5/16 chain that won't work for any rope over 1/2 inch.

And the OP is looking for something less bulky A figure 8 and tail in 5-8" rope sticking out will snag for certain. And there is no reason to believe this is as strong as splices where the rope has been unlaid.
Old 13-03-2022, 20:20   #37

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

In any of the above scenarios won't the anchor drag ( unless you hook a rock or cable) before the breaking strength of the rode can be approached?
Old 13-03-2022, 20:27   #38

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Currently I am using a thimble and shackle, but it does catch a bit on the roller.

I am wondering how to splice a line to an anchor chain without this while preserving the full strength. Obviously a eye splice around the last link is a weak point. I recall some method of weaving the 3 strands through multiple links of the chain, but I am unsure of the details. Does anyone know more about this?
5/8 3 strand, back-spliced onto a 5/16 chain works just fine. My boat is probably heavier than yours, and I've weathered a few Alaskan gales over the past 4 years.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 21:02   #39

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Boat US ran a bunch of tests (google it) that averaged 88%. Eye splices with thimbles averaged about 90%.
From my research, the strength of the line is defined from pull tests with eye splices and thimbles on each end, and the rope breaks somewhere in the middle, not the splice... so the eye splice with a thimble should therefore be 100%.

The back splice to chain always breaks right where the rope goes around the link, but this can be as high as 88% which is basically very good and usable, much better than I would have expected.

Now maybe.. just maybe, a smaller thimble (less turn radius) would still be sufficient to preserve 100% strength and be less bulky but the issue is really the end of the shackle that sticks out, and no way to seize shackles without this bit?

Or as some mentioned, a connecting a quick link or something to the end of the chain to give a slightly larger radius for the splice to go around could get back to 100%... but this is probably just not worthwhile, as at 88% strength, the anchor generally will not hold anyway... my anchor for example maximum holding strength is only 40% of the breaking strength of 5/8th line... so the anchor would have to be jammed in or chain wrapped around boulders or something for this to be the point of failure.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 19:32   #40

Boat: beneteau 11.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Here's a link to the way the folks above are discussing: https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-ma...20the%20anchor.

However, there is also another way, where you just weave your way down the chain, alternating strands, for at least 6 iterations per strand. Should be over a foot long, depending on your link size.

Ann
This is what I have done, iI never liked it. Do what you can.
parado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 06:55   #41

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
BTW, I've seen thimbles shift and cut the rope (nylon stretches and the eye gets loose). Just sayin'.
Agree with this 100%. I was talking with a rigger a couple days ago about the new anchor bridle I was putting together. He suggested using chafe guards and no thimble precisely because thimbles start to shift/slip and begin chafing the line.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 08:06   #42

Boat: Leopard 40

Use the smallest stainless D shackle you can get away with through the last link of chain, then put a soft eye splice through the round half of the shackle. Remember to secure the pin of the shackle with stainless wire or a cable tie or even a small tack with the welder. If you use good quality nylon ripe or similar it will last pretty long before you see any chafe. Its easy just to cut off and splice a new eye when you do.

This is simple, uncomplicated. It will also be smaller than a thimble plus shackle.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 08:43   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Currently I am using a thimble and shackle, but it does catch a bit on the roller.

I am wondering how to splice a line to an anchor chain without this while preserving the full strength. Obviously a eye splice around the last link is a weak point. I recall some method of weaving the 3 strands through multiple links of the chain, but I am unsure of the details. Does anyone know more about this?
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 09:26   #44

Change the bow roller to a wider and larger diameter. In fact you could change it to a two roller bowsprit for anchoring with two anchors (which prevents "sailing back and forth at ancor) and is much more reassuring when you go off in the dingy exploring.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 11:27   #45

What I have done that works quite well is to take the 3 main strands, unwind about a foot and a half. Then splay out the individual strands of the 3 main ones.
Divide them up into 4 even parts. You are making 4 out of three. Take the 4 new main strands and weave them thru the chain, 2 one axis, 2 the other. A you get toward the last few inches of the ends you can cut a few individual strands to taper the ends so there is no clump. Whip or tape the last inches of the whole circumference for security.

Now you have the smallest and most passable, strongest and most chafe proof rope to chain splice! Ps a small whipping or shrink tape right on the joint where chain and rope first meet is an option. I didn’t do this and never had a problem.

This is the best!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor