Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 16:49   #136

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Elysium,
The solution, in the future as I vaguely indicated, while others have been plainer, is to leave a dinghy tied up to it, which makes it a mooring and not just a marker for underwater debris. Then,everyone knows you are coming back.

Sure, BUT HAVE IT ATTACHED WITH ACHAIN AND A LOCK or the unrepenting villain might just decide to attach it to teh rear of HIS boat on the way out of the harbor!

And "love your neighbor (or his wife)" but also "do unto others as they do to you." Maybe you could sweeten his boat with a pound of sugar dumped down you know where!

The guy probable believes he has nothing to loose but the sugar will show him otherwise. Now remember, the only intent for sugar is to sweeten----. I knew a guy who once "sweetened a bulldozer! " It never gave him anymore trouble.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:22   #137

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Almost everybody here (NSW, Australia ) feels free to tie to another boat's vacant private mooring. The rule is not to leave your boat, so you can move off if the rightful owner comes along.
We returned to our mooring to find a yacht attached and obviously unattended.
I unhooked it and towed it across to a vacant visitor mooring and then phoned the Waterways officer to fill him in with rego details etc.
It turned out the guy had been offered the loan of a nearby mooring and picked up ours by mistake. We recieved a bottle of wine and an apology.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:33   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Sure, BUT HAVE IT ATTACHED WITH ACHAIN AND A LOCK or the unrepenting villain might just decide to attach it to teh rear of HIS boat on the way out of the harbor!

And "love your neighbor (or his wife)" but also "do unto others as they do to you." Maybe you could sweeten his boat with a pound of sugar dumped down you know where!
I believe the Christian thing to do is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:41   #139

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I believe the Christian thing to do is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
S eems in real world not everyone is a Christian.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:04   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It predates Christian doctrine going back at least to Confucius. I'm not religious but consider it good sense.

I'm never sure if people simply feel a need to express a doctrine of escalated revenge or if it is how they actually act in life. Personally I believe the rule of law means that we all should act in a manner that respects it. However, it is the internet and I suspect the inner Rambo lives a more active life here then it does in real life.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:19   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

This thread has more turns than the Mississippi! All we need to decide is Manson or Ronca, what gun, cat or mono and who wins the next election!
Old 31-01-2012, 18:20   #142
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

I'm never sure if people simply feel a need to express a doctrine of escalated revenge or if it is how they actually act in life.
People are mostly just talk!
Old 31-01-2012, 18:34   #143

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

In their mind, they are living the Hollywood movie version of their life.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:34   #144

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

This is a rough crew! However my faith in the RCMP and Dudley Do-Right has been restored.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:37   #145

Boat: Hunter 25.5

I once had a problem with college students parking in my driveway at night while they partied across street blocking me in, it happened 3 times in one semester. Police stated if they were parked all the way off city property having them towed was my responsibility and cost if they skipped town. Solution, push vehicle into street and call in an abandoned vehicle. Id wait for an offshore breeze and cut it loose and call the coast gaurd with concerns about a boat adrift.
WrenchBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:44   #146

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
People are mostly just talk!

True, but the bulldozer I mentioned earlier was a real event. Most of us strive to be good neighbors. Parking on another's mooring....no, I don't mean tieing up for a few hours or even a few days if your staying on the boat, deserves attention. If everyone was a dogooder, there would be no jails or need for them.

Personally, if I got hit in the cheek, maybe I could turn my other cheek but if I got hit in the cheek with a load of poop, that is a different matter. The creep who left his boat on someone elses property deserves what he gets!

Around here in New England, he would have been long gone.....and it would cost him big $$$$ to get his boat returned. If anybody offers free lunches, he will always have takers..........same is true for free moorings!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:44   #147

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

It is easy, as a spectator, to say "If anybody EVER did that to me I would kill them!" or other similar statements. Having been faced twice in my life with situations that most of you would say you would resolve with a murder, I can tell you that the reality is different than the actuality. I haven't murdered anyone nor have I done anything bad to either of the offending parties. What they did to my family could never be resolved in any way and the damage that they have done dominates our daily lives still.
Sometimes the best thing to do is forgive. Not for them but for you.
Old 31-01-2012, 19:15   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
It is easy, as a spectator, to say "If anybody EVER did that to me I would kill them!" or other similar statements. Having been faced twice in my life with situations that most of you would say you would resolve with a murder, I can tell you that the reality is different than the actuality. I haven't murdered anyone nor have I done anything bad to either of the offending parties. What they did to my family could never be resolved in any way and the damage that they have done dominates our daily lives still.
Sometimes the best thing to do is forgive. Not for them but for you.
if i may be as bold as to paraprapse you. You only have so much emotional energy, why waste it on w@#$ers when you can spend it on those who you love.

And yes there are a few keyboard heros
Old 31-01-2012, 19:25   #149

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting
...And yes there are a few keyboard heros
The question you have to ask yourself is, what would Mark Wahlberg do?
Old 31-01-2012, 19:27   #150

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder

S eems in real world not everyone is a Christian.
Not sure what you mean. In the world I love. Everyone may not be Christian Jew Muslim budhist but that's irrelevant the cool thing is most have some common values. Thank god your not all Christian.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, mooring