Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 10:16   #16

Re: Stainless Steel Anchor Chain

100' plus super yachts seem to use SS chain. I've seen one hauled up on a slipway with yard workers water blasting the chain that was completely spread out on the ground. I hate to think of the chain cost. Looked like $100 / link?

Needing to replace galvanised chain every few years is a good thing. With the cost of SS chain you would want to keep it forever and SS can get crevice corrosion that might go undetected. There is of course debate about re galvanising chain. I simply replace mine when it starts to rust and take the old to the scrap merchants.

Out of curiosity I did price SS chain once but quickly forgot the amount.

I use sufficient galvanised chain for the depths I usually anchor in plus around 150' of multi strand anchor warp spliced into the chain links. You may need to anchor somewhere deep in an emergency (and we fish in deep places) so why carry around chain that is not used often. Whatever length of chain you decide on, you can make even longer using warp without much weight penalty.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:21   #17

You don't need all chain especially on a multihull where weight is important. From F6 and above catenary is non existent and chain will snatch causing shock loads.Better to have plenty of stretchy nylon.
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:39   #18

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoebyrne View Post
Thank you all for the information. I won't be purchasing stainless steel chain as I had no idea that it cost so much. How do I verify that the chain is the correct size for the windlass? Is it marked on the gypsy or the windlass?
Did anyone notice about half way through the thread the OP decided not o go with SS and asked another question????

You originally had 3/8" chain... Did that work with your windless?

If not then it might be marked in the windless manual or on the windless itself...

I never had such luck and would either remove the chain gypsy and take it to the chain store or get some lengths of chain and slide them threw the gypsy to size it.

Good Luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:46   #19

Another thought re. anchor chain. I stretched my "proof coil" galvanized anchor chain (another harrowing story) and replaced 300 feet in Panama. I shared a 600 ft off-the-shelf barrel with another cruiser. I believe the advantage of proof coil is that it's generally readily available in other countries. btw 6 other boats had to cut their chains at that time.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 13:51   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

We anchor in heavy mud most times in our area. Great to sink the pick into but a real problem cleaning up especially if solo as I often am. After lots of research between gal and stainless we went for 100 mts (330') 10mm short link stainless with 100 mts of rope attached. Absolutely worth the $s. I know we'll never need that much rode but it's there in case we cant retrieve and have to cut off a chunk. Note we carry a small angle grinder with stainless cutting discs as I cant see me cutting off with a hack saw! Stainless comes up spotless every time then we just drag the anchor till it's clean. We do tip a bucket of fresh water into the locker to wash off the salt residue. As for chain vrs rope for holding power in a big blow give me all chain any day. I'll happily carry the extra weight. We recently got hit with 40 - 50 knot northerly. Only 15 mts water and already had 40 mts out. dropped another 20 mts and never moved all night. There were three yachts dragged one pulling the pick right out. Lucky it was still daylight and he was on deck when it happened or they would have been on the rocks. Talking next day turns out all were running between 15 - 20 mts chain then rope to keep the weight down. As for the argument stainless doesn't absorb the shock as well as gal you should never have any chain snubbed off without some good quality rope to absorb the shock. With a 6.5 mt beam we run a 18 mt bridle off front cleats with a snap hook for easy hook up / release.
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 16:51   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have to agree on using good galvanized chain. Also, be sure you get chain that fits your wildcat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:06   #22

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCat View Post
We anchor in heavy mud most times in our area. Great to sink the pick into but a real problem cleaning up especially if solo as I often am. After lots of research between gal and stainless we went for 100 mts (330') 10mm short link stainless with 100 mts of rope attached. .

What brand and quality of SS is your chain, and what is the longest you've stayed on anchor?

I've been doing a fair bit of research on this, as we need to replace our chain this winter and: 1) I want more (only have 80 meters of 12mm now, and 2) we have a real problem with chain piling up in the locker. My research tells me that duplex is the only way to go, which would let us get away with about an extra 30 or so meters at the same weight (we are a cat as well and want to watch our weight) But even with Duplex, SS is not recommended if staying anchored too long. SS needs air to stop it from corroding! I just can't seem to find out how long too long is!!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See Section 8 (Identification) for American specs for identifying chain grade (embossing) ➥ http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM_Welded.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:57   #24

After the research I did, the only SS chain I would use is DUPLEX 1.4462, and only from a very reputable manufacturer like Walder: Stainless steel anchor chain DIN 766, Marine INOX anchor chain, Duplex anchor chain, tested anchor chain, anchor chains for leisure boats and yachts, and there is an Italian manufacturer as well, cant recall their name off hand....

And apparently (I have not found any testimonial evidence yet) it should be cost effective over it's lifetime - provided you plan on keeping your boat, or it long enough!

And BTW - we have 80 meters or about 260 feet - and I consider it to be not enough!
Old 06-11-2015, 05:31   #25

Boat: Celestial 48

Buying SS chain seems kind of like burning money to me. Just my opinion however.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:41   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Buying SS chain seems kind of like burning money to me. Just my opinion however.
It is. So is buying a Celestial 48, or a Manta 40. Or a watermaker/genset/reefer/put anything here.

People pay a wide range of money for a wide range of different wants/needs, while thinking the other ways are either burning money or scrimping at camping.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:22   #27

For us it's a need, not a want. One that I would dearly like to avoid!

The only reason I am looking at ss is because our chain locker is not big enough to handle the pile that galvanized chain creates!

I have to knock it down every 10 or 15 meters, which under normal circumstances is no problem, but in a quick get-away situation it's downright dangerous! It has already destroyed the gypsy and gotten jammed several times - and that is no fun at all!!

Does anyone have experience with how 12mm G40 compares to 10mm G70 from a piling standpoint? It seems to me that the smaller G70 should settle in the locker much better!??
Old 06-11-2015, 13:48   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jeremiahson got it right,

take off the gypsy and take it with you to the chain store, and try the links in it! It's the only way I know of to be sure it fits properly, i.e., matches the gypsy.
Old 07-11-2015, 22:17   #29

Not sure if this is the right thread...

We are seriously considering stainless chain (would only consider German or Italian made Duplex), but only because we have a serious anchor locker constraint issue and our existing 12mm chain needs to be physically knocked down every 10 meters or so (access is not great), and failing to do so can, and has damaged our windlass, and on another occasion it jammed it so bad that it took over an hour to clear - motoring in circles with 10meeters of chain and a 100lb anchor dangling, at 4am is not fun - to say the least!

Does anyone know how much better (if at all) 10 mm G70 piles vs 12mm G30 or 40? I would really like to stick with galvanized if possible.

Thx
Old 08-11-2015, 05:12   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
For us it's a need, not a want. One that I would dearly like to avoid!

The only reason I am looking at ss is because our chain locker is not big enough to handle the pile that galvanized chain creates!

I have to knock it down every 10 or 15 meters, which under normal circumstances is no problem, but in a quick get-away situation it's downright dangerous! It has already destroyed the gypsy and gotten jammed several times - and that is no fun at all!!
Cookiesn, I don't mean to re-direct this thread but it sounds like you might look into re-locating your chain locker. It is not uncommon to install a vertical pipe of suitable size to store the chain. Do this near the mast with a roller on the top edge. Move the windlass aft too and the weight is relocated aft and down while your locker size increases.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, steel