Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 17:17   #31

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Steadying a monohull in a pen.

Boy Gilow this is starting to turn into a real roasting. Maybe you could start another thread about how you can get from your yacht to your car without messing up your hair and getting cold or wet?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 18:24   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Steadying a monohull in a pen.

There is a kind of irony that just yesterday I suggested to one CF member that they be a little more polite and not complain about the posts by other CF members having a somewhat patronising tone.

I have now made a mental note that turning to CF for any topic that suggests I am less hairy chested than King Kong may be unwise.

So, in response to the thoughts here, in no particular order....

Yes, I have port and starboard water tanks, around 350 litres each, however irony would have it that I have not yet commissioned the starboard tank and so the problem of leaning to port is actually being exacerbated by the water tank. The final design does incorporate the ability to transfer water from one tank to the other for long passages on the one tack. (And to manage the fresh water more generally)

Thankfully there is no swell in this pen, but if there were, I would welcome it just for the CHANGE of boat angle it would produce. I’m just getting sick of falling face first into the kitchen sink.

Finally, I have very little hair left to be disturbed or otherwise ruffled, however I shall take care not to mess up what I have left when I post on the results of carrying my boat on my shoulders up to the car park for a bit of metro-careening.
Old 30-05-2020, 19:15   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, I have a secret weapon for handling uncomfortable motion. It is a large, shouldn't ever belong on a boat, but is here anyway, king size goose down pillow. And it is warm (because of the loft), and it can be put wherever it needs to be, so that it is easier for my body to sleep. Miraculously, it has never been soaked. But it can be evoked so that my bod is more comfortable.

El Ping's Ghandi quote is also true, but what I was trying to write about, in my clumsy way, is that you can intentionally get both your conscious mind and unconscious mind to work together for various ends. [Like Kekule, the German chemist, who had the snake dream that he recognized as the benzene ring.] If you find yourself sandfly bait, you can encourage your body to handle its reaction to the bites less vigorously, and itch less. You can teach your body to pretty much accept that sometimes it will have to cope with unusual motion conditions. But, you gotta get it working together.

See if you can get a pillow to help accommodate to the heel angle. By the time you've done it, the wind will probably change, because no one ever promised us rose gardens of sleep, and Murphy is alive and well and perched on your spreader. Another arrow for the quiver.

Cheers, mate.

Ann

PS. @ El Pinguino, Sorry you can't reasonably get to your boat this season. That must be very difficult.

A.
Old 30-05-2020, 21:15   #34

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Good point aboit the chafe problem though I could get aroubd that by using the asym halyard.

But it's the dynamic loads that are bothering me. There are just enough negative reactions to the idea here to keep me worried too.

Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete
It's hard for me to see a downside to the OP's plan, except maybe chafe of the line at masthead sheave with the un-fair lead, but a wire halyard should mitigate that. And the force at the masthead shouldn't be more than about 50# assuming a mast height of 60', for a righting force of 3000 ft-lbs - about the same as 600# of meat on the windward rail.

I didn't allow for the downward angle of the masthead line in the above. If you belay the line, eg., 60' off the beam for a 45 deg. angle, then the righting force needed on the line is doubled relative to 90 deg., and there will be a similar downward force on the mast - both trivial IMO relative to normal sail forces. With no swell in the pen I can't see any harmful dynamics going on. The boat will be free, to extent of dock lines, to move about a bit as usual - but without heeling to a steady or gusting wind.

Why not just give it a try with a long line to a masthead halyard to the other side of the pen and see how much force it takes to right the boat in the breeze?
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 22:10   #35

Steadying a monohull in a pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post

Why not just give it a try with a long line to a masthead halyard to the other side of the pen and see how much force it takes to right the boat in the breeze?

I may well do so, but only if I am sure nobody will find out. Can’t risk being seen as softer than I already am.

Actually, I’ve been thinking of putting a weight on the line, half way along. The physics of that are good, exponentially increasing force just as the boat’s keel starts to come into play.
Old 30-05-2020, 22:19   #36

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Actually, I have a secret weapon for handling uncomfortable motion. It is a large, shouldn't ever belong on a boat, but is here anyway, king size goose down pillow. And it is warm (because of the loft), and it can be put wherever it needs to be, so that it is easier for my body to sleep. Miraculously, it has never been soaked. But it can be evoked so that my bod is more comfortable.

El Ping's Ghandi quote is also true, but what I was trying to write about, in my clumsy way, is that you can intentionally get both your conscious mind and unconscious mind to work together for various ends. [Like Kekule, the German chemist, who had the snake dream that he recognized as the benzene ring.] If you find yourself sandfly bait, you can encourage your body to handle its reaction to the bites less vigorously, and itch less. You can teach your body to pretty much accept that sometimes it will have to cope with unusual motion conditions. But, you gotta get it working together.

See if you can get a pillow to help accommodate to the heel angle. By the time you've done it, the wind will probably change, because no one ever promised us rose gardens of sleep, and Murphy is alive and well and perched on your spreader. Another arrow for the quiver.

Cheers, mate.

Ann

PS. @ El Pinguino, Sorry you can't reasonably get to your boat this season. That must be very difficult.

A.
The Ghandi quote was neither here nor there... watch the longer vid to see what happens when you swallow the little book of calm.... Black Books is excellent

This season? This year more like it and I'm not too sure of next either... sigh

I see the wind in Adelaide is meant to back SW and moderate in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
Old 30-05-2020, 22:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I see the wind in Adelaide is meant to back SW and moderate in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Yep, not bad at the moment, getting snotty around dinner time tho.

Can’t have my rum sliding off the table.
Old 30-05-2020, 22:39   #38

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have a solution.

Wind generator on the jetty connected to one wired as a motor on top of the mast. The harder the wind blows the greater the current sent to the one on the top of the mast. Generator sized for line losses it should work perfectly to pull you back upright from any direction.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 22:45   #39

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Can’t have my rum sliding off the table.
Ah... we have a solution for that problem....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020_20.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	216244  
Old 30-05-2020, 22:54   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Being serious for a moment, how much was the boat heeling over (in degrees)?

Is all hull/cabin and rigging windage or are there some other items creating the windage e.g. dinghy, davits, solar panel, lee clothes, soft dodger etc??????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 23:42   #41

Cheerful lot eh? Zilch compassion here.
But my humble solution is ..... wait for it .... a hammock. No! Don't align it across the cabin!!! Fore and aft ------ as in the old sailing ships that may have brought your convict antecedents to Australia. Patent pending.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 00:07   #42

Very W Heath Robinson! I like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have a solution.

Wind generator on the jetty connected to one wired as a motor on top of the mast. The harder the wind blows the greater the current sent to the one on the top of the mast. Generator sized for line losses it should work perfectly to pull you back upright from any direction.
Old 31-05-2020, 00:11   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Being serious for a moment, how much was the boat heeling over (in degrees)?

Is all hull/cabin and rigging windage or are there some other items creating the windage e.g. dinghy, davits, solar panel, lee clothes, soft dodger etc??????
Only a few degrees, but enough to be annoying after a while. I've stripped the boat best I can, dink and sit-on-top are off the davits. Nothing spare on deck.

But there's no doubt about it. The recent weight loss has made the boat a LOT more tender for the first few degrees. She actually shifts in the water when I walk around on deck, and she never did that when she was heavier.

Or I've put on weight...
Old 31-05-2020, 00:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Cheerful lot eh? Zilch compassion here.
But my humble solution is ..... wait for it .... a hammock. No! Don't align it across the cabin!!! Fore and aft ------ as in the old sailing ships that may have brought your convict antecedents to Australia. Patent pending.
Hammock patent duly noted. I've got two on board, but leveraging out the teenagers is the hard part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1590909447135.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	216256  
Old 31-05-2020, 00:58   #45

Quote:
Hammock patent duly noted. I've got two on board, but leveraging out the teenagers is the hard part.
You are a bloody genius.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull