Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 14:14   #16

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: stern anchor

We used an Aluminum Fortress FX37 as the stern anchor while we were cruising on our Catalina 470 (37,000 lbs).

We had 25 feet of 5/16" chain and 150 feet of 5/8" anchor line.

Stored the anchor on the rail with the fortress anchor hanger and the rode went into a west marine anchor bag in the cockpit lazerette. An used an anchor shackle to connect them when we used it.

Worked great in sand and mud, which I expect will be mostly the bottom type on the ICW.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 14:39   #17

I wouldn't use a mushroom. Get a Danforth style or Fortress. They make brackets so you can hang it on your stern pulpit ready to use. Most people just motor in circles awaiting a bridge opening. I can see some potential problems with anchoring near a bridge for sure. I don't think I ever waited more than 20 mins for an opening from South Carolina to Ft Lauderdale.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:10   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

If you are going to use a stern anchor, you can use this system to neatly store the rode and chain.

Reels
divezonescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:24   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Can you hover? Avoid anchoring and instead turn lazy circles or move back and forth not worrying about which way you are facing, just staying in the same place? Getting an anchor up when the bridge suddenly opens is an opportunity to do all sorts of embarrassing things, such as running over your anchor rode or not being able to retrieve the anchor fast enough when it fouls on the bottom.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:36   #20

To the original OP question, a stern anchor is not going to see much use on the ICW.

You can time your arrival at bridges by matching speed to arrive close to the opening

The bottom is sticky grey mud that can coat the anchor and fill the links of the chain. You aren't going to want to raise an anchor anywhere near the clean cockpit. A powerful salt water washdown at the bow is a real luxury on this trip.

Because next-gen anchors like the Rocna, Manson Supreme, Ultra, Spade and Mantus reset so well after a wind or current change, you see much less anchoring for the night on the ICW with two anchors -- especially since the shallow depths mean a short rode with little swinging room. If your main anchor is a CQR, Bruce or Delta think about switching before the trip. You'll sleep better when there's a 180 degree current switch.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:47   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

I was thinking same way as the OP, of having a stern anchor ready to launch for the ICW and Bahamas. Never once did I use it. Now it seems so different, I was in the Bahamas 35 years for two winters with my parents and we used two anchors all the time. Don't miss it, but it gets started when one boat drops two, then everyone needs to or stay clear. Also there are moorings in some of the tricky areas like Warderick Wells Cay and we have better anchors.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 14:46   #22
Dean

Community Sponsor

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We have an FX-23 on the stern of our 42' Hunter and we store it on the rail for quick deployment. The mount we use if our Mantus Anchor Stern Bracket. It works with all kinds of anchors out their. I added a link so you can check it out.
Mantus Anchors | Mantus Anchor Bracket - Mantus Anchors
Mantus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 15:09   #23

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus 1 View Post
We have an FX-23 on the stern of our 42' Hunter and we store it on the rail for quick deployment. The mount we use if our Mantus Anchor Stern Bracket. It works with all kinds of anchors out their. I added a link so you can check it out.
Mantus Anchors | Mantus Anchor Bracket - Mantus Anchors
Curious as to how you run the rode through that mount. It seems the chain would have to double back up through the mount in order to be free once you pull the anchor up and out, is there room for that?

TIA
goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 15:29   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Stern Anchor

Waiting for bridge openings on the ICW is most often a 15 t 20 minute wait unless you miss a North Carolina bridge that only opens on the hour. Even then, it easier to "hover" as said in an earlier post than to anchor.

This wait time can be a great time for maneuvering practice. I like to play with backing to a designated point in the current or maintaining a fixed position.

The only times I anchor are when waiting for the longer interval at the Deep Creek Locks, but anchoring is easy here, especially southbound.

If I do anchor I keep it simple with one on the bow.
Old 15-06-2016, 16:20   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We almost never wait for a bridge on the ICW... At most maybe 5 or 10 minutes when we screw up. Use our chart plotter to figure out what speed I need to be at to get to the needed bridge opening.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 04:26   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We almost never wait for a bridge on the ICW... At most maybe 5 or 10 minutes when we screw up. Use our chart plotter to figure out what speed I need to be at to get to the needed bridge opening.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
'great advice from Zboss! We often time our approaches too, but then we also listen for activity of commercial traffic in the area. ICW bridge restrictions do not apply for commercial traffic and it's a nice bonus to slip through along with one of the working guys.
Old 16-06-2016, 06:03   #27

Boat: Cornado 25

Carry a 20# Danforth clone with 50' chain and 100' rode (stowed in a 5 gal bucket) in my cockpit locker all the time. Never used at bridges, but all the time for following:

Fast access "emergency brake"

Double hook fore and aft in narrow anchorage with high tidal current (Half the creeks on the ICW)

Quick kedge off an unexpected sandbar

The Solitaire sails on the ground tackle like a drunken ballerina due to her configuration. In a windy but otherwise protected anchorage riding off a stern anchor rather than the bow, quiets her right down. Riding sail in a sea-way or exposed anchorage but otherwise fast and easy. Also easy recovery for single hand, no windlass vessel.

Mushroom anchor makes a good weight for your charts in the cockpit
Old 16-06-2016, 09:04   #28
Dean

Community Sponsor

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

goat Yes some do run the rode down thru the bracket. With the wing nuts holding the rollers you can quickly pull the rollers back to free the anchor and make room for the rode to come out also.
Mantus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 18:38   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Waiting for bridge openings on the ICW is most often a 15 t 20 minute wait unless you miss a North Carolina bridge that only opens on the hour. Even then, it easier to "hover" as said in an earlier post than to anchor.

No need to anchor while waiting on a bridge in the ICW, but a stern anchor (and bow) is needed for anchoring in narrow bayous, with no swing room, like can be found along the Gulf coast ICW.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 19:20   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus 1 View Post
goat Yes some do run the rode down thru the bracket. With the wing nuts holding the rollers you can quickly pull the rollers back to free the anchor and make room for the rode to come out also.
Would a chain rode fit?

Assuming a chain rode, which would be quicker: free the rollers as you say, or pull the anchor out and shackle the chain on to it? I would think hanging onto the anchor outside the rail while putting a shackle on would be problematic.

In my case, talking about a Fortress FX37.

Interested in your views.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor