Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2010, 23:25   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Stern Anchor and Sugar Scoops ?

Hi All

New 42' cruising yacht under construction with a sugar scoop. I'm toying with the idea of mounting the Number 2 anchor on a roller at the stern. It has to go somewhere, so why not have it where it can be deployed quickly. The trouble is I haven't seen any on yachts with sugar scoops. Haven't found any ideas on CF. Does anyone have any ideas or photos of some that actually look reasonable ?

Regards
Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 23:53   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi Greg

Congratulations on having a new build! It must be a very exciting time for you! What sort of boat?

We have our kedge anchor neatly stowed in the aft lazarette (under an outboard) and there its chioce is to stay except for remarkable circumstances... twice in the last 2 years. Once in the Marquesas, once in Oman.

Our Sugar Scoop is the sacrosanct pleasure area of the floating palace. We have nothing to impinge on its expanse... Not even small palm trees! Its our spot for swimming, sitting and enjoying.
Stuff on the aft rail also impinges on the space in the cockipt and that space too is at a premium!
The back of the boat already has 2 solar panels, one outboard (yes we have 2! One is for sale [9.9 Merc]), 1 fishing rod, 1 hand line, 1 BBQ, 1 life ring, 1 flashing light attached to life ring.... and 1 dinghy on a long leash!

Where the hell would we stuff the kedge?

My thoughts are that you could start with your kedge in a lazarrette and if after 12 months you have found you use it a lot, and have a spare space, then put it on a fitting down the back

or if you really want one now, have it on a dismountable thing

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 00:25   #3

Hi Mark

Thanks for your thoughts. Demountable maybe the best option. If I can't make it look good, it will definately go in lazarette with demountable roller. I like the idea of some sort of roller to keep chain off the gelcoat. The boat is by Bluewater Cruising Yachts at Newcastle.

Greg
Old 22-04-2010, 00:51   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
What Mark said. Clutter and windage, are two strong arguments against a stern roller and permanently mounted kedge. Our kedge, like Mark's, lives in the laz.

It's an aluminum Fortress on a rope rode, not chain, so there are no gelcoat conflicts. You don't want chain on your kedge because you might need to row it out in the dinghy to kedge off, and that simply won't work with a chain rode.

It can be thrown off the after deck, with the rode belayed on a deck cleat. It can be retrieved with a sheet winch. You don't need a roller, in my opinion, at all, unless you are planning to anchor systematically with a stern anchor --

that would be, for example, if you Med moor, bows to.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 01:00   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Hi Mark

I like the idea of some sort of roller to keep chain off the gelcoat. Greg
Yes, thats the problem, the chain hitting the gelcoat. We put a towel down.
We have 15 meters of chain with it and if we used the thing at all we would cut the chain off, except for just a few meters.

There is also another thing that is good.. the swim platform does mean there is a space to put the anchor beofre dropping it.

It would be a bit of a big roller if it were to have chain on it.

One thing I did see recently was a roller of 1 inch webbing tape for taking a line ashore. that could quite easily have an anchor shackled to the end of it.

Have you often used a kedge anchor on your current boat?

The designs look great on the builders website!

Old 22-04-2010, 08:48   #6

The current boat doesn't even carry a kedge. I've had it 3 years and only used it local on Lake Macquarie and coastal hops to Newcastle, Port Stephens and Pittwater. It's been my learner boat. If I can't come up with a workable solution then I'm not going to wreck the sugar scoop trying. As you've said the benefits of a good sugar scoop far outweigh the odd time when I might deploy a stern anchor.
Old 22-04-2010, 10:30   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Whats you plans for the new boat? - apart from sailing around showing off to everyone!!

Mark

Old 22-04-2010, 12:22   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
we quickly became dissatisfied with the kedge-in-the-lazarette option because it led to mud and mildew in the lazarette. The best alternative we could come up with was to mount the kedge on the second bow roller. I usually deploy it into the dink and then use the dink to set the stern anchor. When weighing anchor we will weigh the bow anchor first, and then use the windlass to spin the boat and bring up the stern anchor. This system works well enough that I've given up on any ideas I originally had to mount a roller on the sugar scoop.
Old 22-04-2010, 13:50   #9

Initial plan is to do a couple of years on East Coast of OZ, Vanuatu etc getting to know boat, probably working & cruising 50% each. Long range plan is actually Gallipoli by April 25 2015 (100years) so I'll be interested in your account of Gallipoli this year.

Greg

Tags
anchor