Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2020, 16:32   #1

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran
Stern anchor recommendation

Just wondering what experiences people have had with stern anchors? Looking for any recommendations for a stern anchor for our 15mtr Multihull, love to hear your experiences.

Cheers Rod.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 16:41   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Stern anchor recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
Just wondering what experiences people have had with stern anchors? Looking for any recommendations for a stern anchor for our 15mtr Multihull, love to hear your experiences.

Cheers Rod.
Stern anchor? For what purpose? The only time we use that is when there is no palm tree on the beach to tie to. Use a Fortress in ankle deep water instead.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 16:52   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Have a Fortress and its rode in the lazaret, but don't want to have to use it. But it is there.
Old 23-08-2020, 16:53   #4

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

As we don't have one, for the use of anchoring in rivers, close to beaches, the other thought was in unlikely event we had to get into a cyclone bolt hole and huk down.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 16:59   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
As we don't have one, for the use of anchoring in rivers, close to beaches, the other thought was in unlikely event we had to get into a cyclone bolt hole and huk down.
In thise cases, the 2nd anchor should be attached to the bow (Bahamian Mooring) not the stern.

Old 23-08-2020, 17:04   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
In thise cases, the 2nd anchor should be attached to the bow (Bahamian Mooring) not the stern.

In the case of the multihull which I believe this thread was referring to, the use of a bow and stern anchor is a good choice.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 17:38   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
In the case of the multihull which I believe this thread was referring to, the use of a bow and stern anchor is a good choice.
No. A multihull has just the same, if not more, windage from the sides, so benefits just as much from turning bow into the wind instead of risking beam to the wind which can quickly overload both anchors.

Old 23-08-2020, 17:57   #8
smj

Stern anchor recommendation

Quote:
No. A multihull has just the same, if not more, windage from the sides, so benefits just as much from turning bow into the wind instead of risking beam to the wind which can quickly overload both anchors.

I agree, but the Bahamian moor is used to deal with currents more so than winds. So in a wind situation the Bahamian moor would work, in a wind over current situation bow and stern may be better for a multi
Old 23-08-2020, 18:07   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is pretty cumbersome to set up Bahamian moorings for every time you're in a wind against the tide sitiuation.

I would think doublebubble could use a Fortress (or an old Danforth HT, if available) for those occasions when he wants to use a stern anchor. We have used one off the quarter to keep from swinging into coral heads, for instance, and also to avoid beam to the swell situations. For anchoring in VERY strong winds, I've seen other catamarans use a sort of "V" formation, with one anchor off each hull. For that, he'd want the proper weight Fortress for the windage of his particular vessel.

Ann
Old 23-08-2020, 18:29   #10

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Agreed. Forces are huge on bow and stern anchored boat with wind on the beam. If the anchors hold , and the rode doesn't break the cleats will pull out or break. Only anchor that way in calm weather.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 18:48   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Very common in Scandinavia, where you rest between the rock and the anchor.

I have seen many styles used, very often a Danforth. But people with winches use Bruce often as they self-stow easily.

Unless there are any special concerns with the boat, you will take an anchor that is best for the bottom. I like Danforths as I found them trustworthy in mud / mud / sand.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 19:26   #12
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Agreed. Forces are huge on bow and stern anchored boat with wind on the beam. If the anchors hold , and the rode doesn't break the cleats will pull out or break. Only anchor that way in calm weather.

If that’s the case I would recommend you beef up both your anchor rode and make sure your cleats have better backing plates as your boat isn’t fit to leave the slip.
What’s the difference in forces between a boat anchored with a wind on the beam verses a boat docked with a wind on the beam? Except the obvious difference between the length of a dockline and the length of an anchor rode and the more give that the anchor rode will have verses the dock line meaning less stress?
Old 23-08-2020, 19:38   #13

Boat: Riva 48

I did a quick visual calculation for my boat (31 x 11 ft x 7 ft) and I think the wind area on the beam vs the bow will be 4x. Then you add the shape of the areas and the fact the at the force goes up as the square, I would say at least 15x stronger forces on the beam vs the bow in a good blow.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 20:46   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have used a small Fortress FX-11 with (IIRC) 10 or 15 feet of 1/4" chain as the stern anchor on our Cabo Rico 38 for years. Since it doesn't switch directions and experiences mostly straight line pull it does an amazing job holding the boat even beam to the wind. It digs in so deep we have to really work at getting it out. We use it in tight anchoring situations along the ICW.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 21:19   #15

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi I have three bollards in the stern. One, just off center, I could lift the boat with it. I have very rarely used it for stern anchoring. I have twin keels so I can sit flat at low tide if it’s a nice flat sand bottom. In the Netherlands some set a stern anchor ONLY when there is no chance of any wind direction change. Just for sitting out fully aground on the sand flats till the tide returns. You do not ever want the wind on your beam with bow and stern anchored separately. You can set a stern as follows. Fasten the stern anchor first, at the bow and then bring the line back on the windward side to the stern quarter. Tie it off, not directly, but with something small that you can cut if you become broadside to the wind or current. Don’t fall asleep. If there is any change in the wind or current direction ( yes, this can happen ) cut the small stuff holding the stern anchor line to the stern quarter. The boat will swing to leward. If there is a situation which even remotely looks like the boat might swing the wrong way, attach a buoy and let the line go. You do not want it around the prop, rudder or keel. If things turn nasty you might have to do this quickly so plan ahead.
I have two different size fortress anchors for this, but they are not used a lot
Two big ones apart for hurricanes. Hope this answers your question.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a sand flat beached manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, men