Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 03:24   #1

Boat: South Coast 36
Super Sarca Anchors

Hi

Could anyone provide feed back on the Super Sarca anchors? I have a South Coast 36 ( 11metres) around 10 ton and beleive that I will need a size 6 however, just want some info from real live users as to their performance before shelling out $550.

Cheers

Manni
Mocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:27   #2

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Super Sarca Anchors

I have used a smaller Super Sarca on my boat for many years, and it has always reset after tide turns. I will most probably go with the Excel for the new cat.

They are very common on commercial boats here in Oz, so that tells you something about their performance as the pros don't like taking risks with their livelihood.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:49   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

From what I've seen on here, they get great reviews. Their only catch being, that they don't have the name/brand recognition of say, a Rocna, or Mantus, etc.
But a focused search on here should yield you the info which you're after.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Whatever Anchor Right recommend is the way to go, Rex from there knows your boat type and where you anchor, by and large, he has commercial clients and people like Water Police and Rescue agencies using his product in most parts of Australia and gets feedback from them.

Short story, I have used a number 5 Excel in Botany bay on a 40 foot cat and it worked as usual, quite wonderfully
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:58   #5

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

What ^^^ they said. Phone Rex. Tell him what you have and do what he tells you to do. We sleep soundly on our Super Sarca. I'd love to have an Excel but there's lots of other things I'd love to have too.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 15:43   #6

Hi

thank you for your help on this. I have called Anchor Right this morning and they recommend the EXECEL 5 which is still much lighter than the plough I am currently using. They referred me to Hunts Marine just up the road from me at Blakehurst and I will pick one up today.

Thank you all again.

Regards

Manni
Old 08-10-2015, 18:57   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A few Tassie Cray fishermen I've been talking too recently are very impressed with their super sarca. Much better in their opinion than their old larger plow anchor.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-10-2015, 22:49   #8

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

My Lagoon 410 came with a well worn Super Sarca #7 (25kg). The first two times I anchored the boat, I misjudged the chain length and it dragged in 25 knots. In hindsight, once I measured the chain accurately, I realised nothing would have held with the short scope I had out.

After that it was fine, although I only used it a couple of dozen times. When it held in 40+ knots (Iluka boat harbour) I had confidence in it.

I decided I wanted a decent spare anchor and thought if I'm going to buy another, why not upgrade to the next size. So, based on the postive feeling about Sarca, I bought a Sarca Excel #6 (30kg). This became my primary anchor, with the SS #7 relegated to spare.

The windage on my boat would be far greater than your South Coast 36, so I'm sure one size smaller than mine would be fine (although I like oversize anchors).
Old 09-10-2015, 00:05   #9

Hi Steve

thank you for your feed back. I called Rex as few of the guys suggested and he recommended the SArca EXCEL 5 for the Sth Coast which is pretty much what you have also recommended.
Botany Bay is starting to get busy with all the weekend power boats and the mooring all get snapped up fairly quickly so I can see myself on anchor alot more from now until Autumn.
Still need to to do a weekend up your way I believe that water ways are great as is the fishing.

Regards
Manni
Old 09-10-2015, 00:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
A few Tassie Cray fishermen I've been talking too recently are very impressed with their super sarca. Much better in their opinion than their old larger plow anchor.

Hi Snowpetrel, I guess if it is any one that would need reliable anchors it would be the cray fishermen, some of those seas they are exposed to are frightening.

I ended ordering the EXCEL 5 on Rex's advice, hopefully will be able to install it next weekend,

Cheers

Manni
Old 09-10-2015, 02:40   #11

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Cool, looks like a very good anchor. I was very impressed with the reports of how well the excel worked in Flinders island. That's a place I have really struggled in the past to get anything to hold in.

At the moment I was lucky to score a second-hand supreme at a good price, so I'll se how that goes, but the excel was my first choice.

Old 21-10-2015, 22:59   #12

Thumbs up Re: Super Sarca Anchors

Hi there,
I would like to comment on Sarca Excel anchors.
Some background. My vessel is a 41ft. steel motor sailor. 20 tonnes approx.
Near the beginning of the year I purchased a Sarca Excel No.7 and shortly after used it in earnest riding out a category 5 cyclone in Yeppoon Queensland. Needless to say my boat survived and I am very happy with my choice.
The creek I was anchored in has a hard clay and rubble bottom which a plough anchor does not hold well and does drag at times.
My Sarca however always sets . It seems to be an aggressive anchor and bites in immediately.
Tides here can also be a problem with minimal anchors as spring tides can run at about 4 to 5 knots. No exaggeration.
I will leave it there for now and await any comments.
LG
LG1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 23:20   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We don't really know too much about Sarca anchors. If you've visited noelex's thread "Photos of Anchors Setting", you'll be aware of how some anchors perform n the Med.

So far, no one has posted any Sarca anchoring photos there. If you have a way to do this, it will probably increase Sarca sales, assuming that it buries well.

Ann
Old 21-10-2015, 23:27   #14

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Supposed to be a great anchor. Equal to any and better than most, according to NZ's anchoring guru...
Old 21-10-2015, 23:42   #15

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocking View Post
Hi Snowpetrel, I guess if it is any one that would need reliable anchors it would be the cray fishermen, some of those seas they are exposed to are frightening.

I ended ordering the EXCEL 5 on Rex's advice, hopefully will be able to install it next weekend,

Cheers

Manni
Manni, Rex strongly advocated a #6 for my boat and I am as happy as a pig in with it.
Motored past your mooring the other day, empty, you've been using the boat haven't you, go admit it.
Cheers, a good choice of anchor.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, arc