Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 14:21   #16

Boat: Fuji 35 ketch
Re: Supply of Poly Anchor Line

Bill could you explain what you mean by the warp of your anchoring rode?
JON REISWIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 15:12   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON REISWIG View Post
Bill could you explain what you mean by the warp of your anchoring rode?

He's referring to the rope portion of a mixed rode.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 15:19   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That's an interesting thought! I'd been wondering about using that stuff (or maybe 12 strand regatta braid polyester) to replace my 5/8" 8 plait nylon when the time comes. The Tenex is definitely the cheapest option and a significant strength boost without going larger.

Are you using the two strand per carrier version (Tenex-Tec) or the single strand per carrier (regular Tenex)? Also, are you using anything to mark the rode? My nylon is marked with spray on fabric dye/paint, but I don't know if that would work on the coated rode (even with the clear coating).
I should mention that we have 200ft sections of Tenex warp spliced to our 360 ft primary chain rode [and 300 ft spliced to our secondary 190 ft chain rode...] Neither length of Tenex is deployed often unless anchoring in 100+ feet and expecting sporty Wx...

We also use Tenex for robust winter docklines, emergency kedging warp, etc.

We are using the single strand Tenex. I was told the Tec version is better for longevity if consistently worked around smaller diameter sheaves under high strain. [More conforming surface area on the radius.] But this needs to be confirmed.

We also use Tenex on a short chain on our back-up Fortress [FX-37] and it also has worn well, although not often used...

I have had success marking Tenex using two techniques [to see which might be best...]

The easiest is to weave a foot or two of a bright color small diameter line into the [off-white] Tenex every X feet or fathoms. [I use bright orange reflective tent guy line for this, and I think I prefer it as it will also show up by headlamp in the dark if kept somewhat clean...] This works weaving through the chain portion of the rode as well... tie off one end if it tries to work loose...

I have for years done something similar in chain and warp rodes using a similar line as described above, only knotted to a single strand of rope [or chain link] with the two ~6 inch tails knoted once for every x feet or fathoms of length represented. But this requires counting the knots, which means stopping for a close look if you lost count... but can be read by braile...

I now prefer the 1st method as it is easier to see during rapid gravity deployment, and is easier to read by headlamp...

In hopes this is helpful...

Cheers! Bill
Old 05-12-2020, 17:40   #19

Try this place. It might take a couple of phone call and an email, but he had the best price I could find on nylon 8 plait. He might have what you need.

https://www.cajunrope.com/
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 20:45   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
With a long anchor line, nylon can end up being too stretchy in some cases. Polyester is also a bit more chafe resistant when wet. So in some cases, it makes sense to use the more durable, less stretchy rode and then add stretch with a nylon snubber or bridle, same as you'd do with chain.

I figure it the other way round.

Nylon rode with a polyester snubber.
The poly snubber doesn’t chafe due to stretch between the cleat/bit and the roller/chock.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

The poly snubber doesn’t chafe due to stretch between the cleat/bit and the roller/chock.

That method has its benefits as well. Although on my setup, I seem to get more chafe from the nylon feeding through the windlass over time than I do from where it goes over the roller (with a chafe sleeve attached).
Old 06-12-2020, 05:55   #22

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

Cat
Nylon Snubber is on padeyes on front of hull.

Primary rode is 10mm chain

Secondary rode is to be 600ft of 8/12 Str Polyester with Dyneema leader (no chain to anchor)
Also can be used with Parachute Sea Anchor
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Cat
Nylon Snubber is on padeyes on front of hull.

Primary rode is 10mm chain

Secondary rode is to be 600ft of 8/12 Str Polyester with Dyneema leader (no chain to anchor)
Also can be used with Parachute Sea Anchor
Based on that usage, I'd probably take the suggestion of Samson Tenex. It's one of the stronger polyester lines I've seen (by spec), it's coated, and it's really cheap. In 5/8", I've seen it as low as just under $1/foot for a full 600ft spool.

As an experiment, I just ordered a 3 foot piece of white (clear coating) Tenex. It'll take a few weeks to get it (couldn't find anywhere that had white in stock and would sell by the foot rather than full spools).

Once it arrives, I'll do some testing with the fabric dye/paint spray I've been using to mark my nylon rodes and see how it works with the coating. Against white rope, the bright orange and bright green markings I've been using are great for visibility and fairly visible even at night. And after a full season of use on nylon, so far the markings haven't worn at all.
Old 21-01-2021, 07:44   #24

To follow up, my test piece of Tenex came in. The fabric dye/paint stuff went on just fine, it's drying now. Once it's had enough dry time I'll do some testing in water to see if the stuff holds up as well as it does on nylon line.

My initial impression is that the Tenex handles nicely. It's almost as floppy as the 8 plait nylon I currently have. It should flake into a locker nicely even though it's slightly stiffer, and it's squishy enough that chain dumped on top should pack it down nicely, so it won't use any more locker space even if it doesn't fall quite as compactly.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:55   #25

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
To follow up, my test piece of Tenex came in. The fabric dye/paint stuff went on just fine, it's drying now. Once it's had enough dry time I'll do some testing in water to see if the stuff holds up as well as it does on nylon line.

My initial impression is that the Tenex handles nicely. It's almost as floppy as the 8 plait nylon I currently have. It should flake into a locker nicely even though it's slightly stiffer, and it's squishy enough that chain dumped on top should pack it down nicely, so it won't use any more locker space even if it doesn't fall quite as compactly.
If the dye marking on Tenex is successful, please let us know what you are using...

If I can obtain it, I will test on our used Tenex as well.

Thanks, Bill
Old 21-01-2021, 09:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
If the dye marking on Tenex is successful, please let us know what you are using...

If I can obtain it, I will test on our used Tenex as well.

Thanks, Bill

The stuff I've been using is "Tulip ColorShot Instant Fabric Color". Ordered from Amazon. I did test sprays with both the neon orange and neon green colors on the Tenex. I have some in black as well.

My marking scheme using the stuff (and matching spray paint for the chain) has been orange marks to count 25 foot increments (1 for 25, 2 for 50, 3 for 75) and green marks to count hundreds. Then black marks starting 15 feet before the end as a "stop the windlass" marker. So a green and 2 orange would be 150 feet.
Old 21-01-2021, 09:57   #27

Quote:
The stuff I've been using is "Tulip ColorShot Instant Fabric Color". Ordered from Amazon. I did test sprays with both the neon orange and neon green colors on the Tenex. I have some in black as well.
Thank you. I see it is available as an aerosol or liquid pump spray.

It looks like I can get the liquid version shipped to me... [No ground shipping for Hazmat available here... barge or boating friend are the usual options— or a 1400 mile round trip to the store... by boat ]

Cheers! Bill
Old 21-01-2021, 10:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Thank you. I see it is available as an aerosol or liquid pump spray.

It looks like I can get the liquid version shipped to me... [No ground shipping for Hazmat available here... barge or boating friend are the usual options— or a 1400 mile round trip to the store... by boat ]

Cheers! Bill

I haven't tried the liquid version, but the aerosol comes out pretty liquid (and I spray it very close to saturate the rope well and minimize overspray). So I expect the liquid version should work about the same.
Old 21-01-2021, 18:49   #29

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

I ended up buying 600ft of Tenex from RiggingSupply.com in orange. The orange does rub off by the way.
3/4 Tenex was the same strength rating as 1" Dacron / Polyester from most other suppliers.
Handles very nicely. Flakes wonderfully. Soft, flexible.
Plan is for this to be secondary anchor rode, and para anchor rode if ever needed.
Dyneema leader to Anchor. Minimal chain, or maybe no chain (will see).
Anchor choice is TBA. Rocna or Sarca Excel Aluminium.
We'll use this in sand / seagrass anchorages that rub galvanising off chains badly.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor