Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 11:33   #226

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Re: The Rocna Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I just had a new roof installed at home. It works great I love it no water inside. Found out it's made of burlap instead of asphalt. Same design just slightly different material. Love it wouldn't have any other roof.
Thanks for helping me decide to unsubscribe from this thread.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:47   #227

Boat: PETERSON 44
Testy ehh if you buy something it should made of what the seller says it is. No less. Saying something works fine is okay. When I buy sunbrella I expect it to be subrelka with all it's uv protection. It might work well keeping the sun off if it's made of cotton. But I bought sunbrella. Any way sorry if I pissed you off. I use an old pos Bruce that everyone says is crap. I know it works and has for years when I can I'll buy a newer design. I'd be pretty pissedif I bought a rocna and found out it's not the same grade that was advertised.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:07   #228

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
I just had a new roof installed at home. It works great I love it no water inside. Found out it's made of burlap instead of asphalt. Same design just slightly different material. Love it wouldn't have any other roof.
It kind of sounds like you're okay with it as long as "the product" performs??
Quote:
Testy ehh if you buy something it should made of what the seller says it is. No less. Saying something works fine is okay. When I buy sunbrella I expect it to be subrelka with all it's uv protection. It might work well keeping the sun off if it's made of cotton. But I bought sunbrella. Any way sorry if I pissed you off. I use an old pos Bruce that everyone says is crap. I know it works and has for years when I can I'll buy a newer design. I'd be pretty pissedif I bought a rocna and found out it's not the same grade that was advertised.
But in your next post it sounds like you taking the opposite position??

Anyway..... to me it's about DECEIT!! And clearly that is what this is, plain and simple.
And if their argument is that "it" performs as specified.... It may very well but it's still DECEIT!!

And Companies that take these sorts of Liberties deserve to PAY!

Extemp.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09   #229

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I have a ROCNA and would like to say I would Never buy another one because of this, but I'll stop short of this because I'm not sure which is the next Company (Anchor in this case) to Bold Face Lie!!.
I agree. I'm not sure what I would buy today. Rocna is not credible anymore, Manson has questionable IP practices, Raya is gone, and Spade doesn't seem to be available in the US at reasonable prices anymore. As WM stated, it's a bummer.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:16   #230

Boat: Maine Cat 41

It just never ceases to amaze me how people use distortions, innuendoes, misdirections and lies to make their point and take unnecessary potshots.

There are gobs (technical term, btw) of products sold that come with a disclaimer along the lines of, "pricing and specifications may change at any time without notice." (Rocna does NOT say this, btw)

In this particular case, the retailer has said they will refund/exchange the product if the end user is unhappy. The manufacturer, while hiding behind corporate-speak, has nevertheless reiterated that their product meets and exceeds the RINA standards for performance, and has provided data beyond the corporate-speak to back that up.

So the end-result facts are:
  • There is NOT a recall
  • The product meets RINA standards
  • The retailer and manufacturer have apologized for their actions (or lack thereof)
  • They are backing it with a money-back, no questions asked policy

Glad you are happy with your Bruce, hope it always works and you can use your new anchor money for something more enjoyable/better for mankind/beer.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:40   #231

So your offended by s comparison. I like the design of rocna but... I'm not offended by people who suggest my Bruce is a pos. I know exactly what I bought.if you buy a roof with s 10 year warranty it should be 10 years not 9. It's okay if you trash all other anchors except the one you bought. I have a fortress I know that anchor is light holds like a beast and I night bend the stock.I know exactly what that anchor will do. My old cqr held rel well in some bottoms so well I bent the stock in a vertical pull not sideways . It was a very good anchor and I knew that when it was set I had good gear in the ground. My snatch blocks have a working load of 1900 lbs. The pins are 316 stainless I know this because that's what the manufacturer said. If they are something else I would be ticked off.so you own a rocna best anchor made.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:44   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
It just never ceases to amaze me how people use distortions, innuendoes, misdirections and lies to make their point and take unnecessary potshots.
Never?
Being bothered by someone LYING is a "potshot"?
Quote:
There are gobs (technical term, btw) of products sold that come with a disclaimer along the lines of, "pricing and specifications may change at any time without notice." (Rocna does NOT say this, btw)

In this particular case, the retailer has said they will refund/exchange the product if the end user is unhappy. The manufacturer, while hiding behind corporate-speak, has nevertheless reiterated that their product meets and exceeds the RINA standards for performance, and has provided data beyond the corporate-speak to back that up.
I'm not sure of your point.... but their are lots of folks that may be influenced by a technical specification. Oh ya...... and it's not like ROCNA fessed up (technical term) on their own. They were FORCE to by West Marine!
Quote:
  • There is NOT a recall
  • The product meets RINA standards
  • The retailer and manufacturer have apologized for their actions (or lack thereof)
  • They are backing it with a money-back, no questions asked policy
You forgot one.
THEY LIED!! and MISREPRESENTED!!
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have forgone some of the most basic fundamental principles in life and are willing to look past individual events ignoring the real problem, acceptability of LYING or being LIED to.

It IS this lack of holding others accountable that has put us exactly where we are and where we deserve to be I guess.

Cheers,
Extemp.
Old 06-08-2011, 13:04   #233

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The inventor and designer of the anchor in question published on his Web site that the strength of the material was critical to meet the design characteristics, and yet after he sold the company the strength of the material used was changed while the statement still remained on the site. And, now the company says the strength of the material is adequate. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of the original designer, but I suspect he may be prevented from speaking due to a contract.
Old 06-08-2011, 13:27   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO

[*]There is NOT a recall[*]The product meets RINA standards[*]The retailer and manufacturer have apologized for their actions (or lack thereof)[*]They are backing it with a money-back, no questions asked policy

Glad you are happy with your Bruce, hope it always works and you can use your new anchor money for something more enjoyable/better for mankind/beer.
Could you clarify who you are calling a liar?
Old 06-08-2011, 13:53   #235

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Could you clarify who you are calling a liar?
I'm pretty sure he is referring to the manufacturer. After all, they did lie, got caught, and doing the worst attempt at PR one has ever seen.

Not only will they get a bunch of anchors back, but the vast majority of people aware of the situation will never buy one, even if the specs went back to normal.

Now, if a credible company were to buy this POS manufacturer who is so economical with the truth, and ensure original specs, that may be a salvation.

Too bad, as the design is good, but the ethics aren't.
Old 06-08-2011, 15:46   #236
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
You make roofs out of roads? wow?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:31   #237

Many US homes use asphalt shingles and modified bit roofs are very common. The point was if I bought something that was made to a specification it nerds to meet the specification. To say that it works is not good enough.it needs to meet the specification. Maybe I build a school that wants abuse resistant drywall. I bid as if it's the spec.but I build using regular drywall. Maybe the school is happy.the walls work. If your happy paying for things that work but are less then what you paid for then argue away.a burke roof will work if you bought a asphalt shingle roof you should have that. If I buy 316 stainless anchor it should be 316. Where is the dead horse paddle thing. I'm happy with my rocna even though I paid for quality steel and it's not what I got. Great how would you like 20 pounds if propane in a 10 lb bottle. It's almost the same.
Old 06-08-2011, 16:40   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I agree. I'm not sure what I would buy today. Rocna is not credible anymore, Manson has questionable IP practices, Raya is gone, and Spade doesn't seem to be available in the US at reasonable prices anymore. As WM stated, it's a bummer.
I wouldn't say Manson had intellectual property problems. If you follow the threads it is clear that they developed the Supreme independently from Rocna.
The only people who questioned them were the Rocna, and their credibility is now in tatters.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:48   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I'm pretty sure he is referring to the manufacturer.
If you're right, I may owe YOGAO an apology.
But..... unfortunately I don't think you are.

That said perhaps YOGAO can clarify.

Cheers,
Extemp.
Old 06-08-2011, 19:06   #240
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

I love my 2007 Canadian-made Rocna. We just returned from 3 weeks in Desolation Sound, where the anchoring can be difficult at times, with the water depths such that an ideal scope is sometimes just not possible, the tidal ranges are large, and the currents can be fast. I never had a concern. The Rocna set great, first time, every time. No issues at all.

However, I am always concerned when a company makes what apparently looks like significant changes to something and don't explain it up front. Makes me suspicious, at the least.

Of course, with all the hype about anchors in general, I think it pays to be cautious about all of them.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna