Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2009, 05:32   #61

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I'm with Markpj23, this argument is rehashed crap. He asked for real world experience, and ended up with a legal battle. Why dont we try it again? This time only the posters who ACTUALLY own and USE these anchors for CRUISING post their experience. No posers please...

EDIT; Sorry HUD, you beat me to it...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 05:34   #62
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Thanks for the support, Christian!
Old 18-05-2009, 06:52   #63

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
use

I bought a Rocna a few months ago. The size recomended for my boat was 10kg. I bought the 15kg for margin of safety, I have dropped the hook about 20 times in the last few months and the anchor has set first time every time. I have anchored in mostly sand bottom with max wind at 30kt and wind shifts. I will admit that I never had much problem with other anchors used (Delta, CQR, Fortress, Bruce), the only anchor that ever dragged on me was the Bruce (twice in 200+ sets). I keep the Delta and Fortress onboard as backup. My guess is that I will not likely use them.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 08:22   #64
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've just deleted a further post that continued the off-topic discussion of various anchors and their characteristics, posted after the request to stay on topic. There'll be no more warnings about this.

p.s. thanks for posting on topic, Liam!
Old 18-05-2009, 09:15   #65

Boat: Any time now!
I am just posting off-topic to apologize..sorry markpj! There have been enough threads on this..

As far as the performance of the Rocna, I have done quite a bit of reading and the reviews are essentially universally glowing and it does seem that the rocna/manson type anchor is pretty much as good of an anchor you can buy and the best one to trust for a good night sleep.

This is second hand information coming from review though, because I am one of the 'posers' who has not used it yet.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 12:04   #66

Boat: Stevens 47
I have a 33kg Rocna on my Stevens 47 and I LOVE IT!!! As someone earlier said be very careful of backing down too hard on it as it will feel like snagging a rock. We have started calling that swing around onto the chain and the little dip in the bow as the anchor bites as the "Rocna Courtsey" (feel free to use that Craig!)
It is an outstanding anchor and one I have complete (but prudent) confidence in.

Michael
S.V. Arielle
Old 18-05-2009, 17:06   #67

Rangiroo, how would you feel about lying to just one Rocna in a cut with current that reverses several times a day? Do you think the anchor pops and resets or just slowly drags around? Thanks, Chris

Old 18-05-2009, 23:26   #68
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Rangiroo, how would you feel about lying to just one Rocna in a cut with current that reverses several times a day? Do you think the anchor pops and resets or just slowly drags around? Thanks, Chris
It comes a little up towards the seabed surface until the rollbar is 1/2 (approx) exposed and then drags around. It'll then try to bury deeper again. I say try as if the bottom is sticky and clumpy sometimes a big ball of the bed will get stuck and unable to push out through under the rollbar. If the bed is not sticky that won't happen and it'll dive in a lot better.

Never seen one come completely free of the seabed but I would say that if it did it would reset again pretty quick.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 13:46   #69

Boat: Trismus 37
C v H, I have anchored in several strong tidal stream situations for up to 24 tidal changes and have not had a moments concern. The only difficulty was untwisting the snubber when we eventually raised the anchor the first time, we now untwist the snubber every day if possible. In one of these Harbours I had previously dragged some 100 metres onto a mud bank when using my old CQR (25kg French copy) I had then laid a second anchor (also a 25kg French CQR copy) in the classic 40 to 50 degree pattern and had a major job untwisting the chains before being able to raise either anchor. The Rocna and snubber were childs play in comparison. In my experience Rocna = Manson supreme = Rocna.
1st equal in the new generation of anchors.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 16:41   #70

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Just received mine today! I went with the 15kg, for a 35ft 12000lbs Hughes. I'll be anchoring in mostly deep water around the BC coast.

Can't wait to finally have a good nights sleep and not worry about dragging my CQR.

Oh, and it looks badass!
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 17:54   #71
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Got a 20KG Rocna 2 years ago.

So far I am quite pleased with it, but have not had any big or bad storms or anchorages yet.

It seem to set better and hold more than the 25KG Delta it replaced.

Headed to the Bahamas in a few days and will learn more about this anchor as we plan to anchor "only"..No wimpy marinas for us..

Pretty tight fit on the bow-roller, but fit it does..(CSY 33)

Old 19-05-2009, 18:42   #72

CSY, that thing looks like a weapon! This thread really took a turn for the better. Real world info beats legal debate hands down!

Old 19-05-2009, 23:35   #73

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
20 KG Rocna

I have used my Rocna for just over 2 seasons now. We have 150 feet of chain and 150 feet of 5/8 inch 3 stand rode. It has always set first time, but you do have to back down carefully as others have stated because when it sets, IT SETS. My boat is 37 feet and about 15,000 lbs. This anchor has never dragged at all (so far) and I have been in up to 25 knot winds overnight. Last summer, we anchored most nights of our 5 week cruise to Desolation Sound. Two nights we anchored in very deep water (backing up on a sloping bottom) where we could only get about 3.5 to 1 scope. We also used a stern shore tie. Wind on one night blew about 10 to 12 knots, and we didn't move an inch.

One minor complaint. When anchoring in "sticky mud", the anchor brings up a lot of it! Just shows how deeply it was actually set I guess. I am really happy with this anchor. Mine is Canadian made.
Hope this helps,
Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 01:19   #74
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehoser75 View Post
This anchor has never dragged at all (so far) and I have been in up to 25 knot winds overnight. ...........

Wind on one night blew about 10 to 12 knots, and we didn't move an inch.
In no why do I want to come across as rude but in 10-12 knots you shouldn't need an anchor, the chain alone should hold you.

Sorry I just have a little giggle when I see comments like that. Here we often wait for the wind to get above 10kts before we even consider going out. 8 year old kids were Optimist racing last weekend in 25-30kts without dramas. Here 25kts is nothing much and common place. Get 40kts here and it might generate some comments the next morning.

Don't you find it interesting to see the differences in the varying places around the world? Isn't that a wonderful thing.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 05:18   #75

From my research, merely OWNING a Rocna or Manson and having it aboard apparently drops the wind to at or below 25 knots. This is truly wonderful news! Word has it that the next generation will make everything a beam reach too!

Tags
rocna