Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2009, 20:59   #106
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Hey Steve, are you still getting a commision in "past the expiration date Lion Reds", every time time you make a Manson Supreme sale???
And you're get what from Rocna BS? I'd be thinking Chardonnay

damn wrong button again.

Quote:
For a given boat, Delta will recommend a 20 kg anchor and Rocna will recommend a 25. One has to ask why Delta (and others, of course) would recommend an anchor that won't hold in a blow.
The school of thought is marketing. The bigger you recommend the bigger the price so to look better price wise. That is the common guess around the traps.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 21:12   #107
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I was going to go with the 25kg (and still might) but because of my bowsprit (tubing in a U shape) and my anchor roller being within it, I thought the larger may fit better. The hoop on the Rocna has to come up in front of the bowsprit which works better if the space between the hoop and the crank in the shank is greater.
What has been done on a few boats when coming up through a bowsprit type arrangement which causes the rollbar (in this case very much a BSH, big stupid hoop) hit underneath is to extend or move the bow roller a little forward. As you say and hope Extemp it can get the rollbar coming up in front of the whole shebang.

Some can't always move things that easily but many can so when you do have wiggle room, doing the above can make them fit very very nice and snugly.

Don't go bending or cutting off the rollbars as some have done. 1/4" too much bend and you could hit setting issues. In a soft bottom it is very possible for them to land shank down and stay that way with a fiddled with or removed rollbar. It is important the rollbar stays and stays straight or as close too where it starts.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 22:12   #108

Boat: boat less ATM
Rocna - cheaper than a Manson Supreme in OZ

I bought a Rocna 25 kg for my 47 ft Cat 12 months ago. I did a cash deal and was able to get the Rocna for $50 bucks cheaper than the same size Manson Supreme. I have previously had a 20 kg Delta on a 33 ft cat and the present cat had a 30 kg CQR. The Delta set more reliably than CQR but the Rocna has never failed to set. I anchor in soft mud, sand & coral rubble. To retrieve, it is jsut a matter of shortening scope to vertical then a gentle prod on the motors to unstick the Rocna. EASY AS
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 23:37   #109

Boat: OC 45
Since I had 2 45# CQRs on board (1 primary and 1 backup), I figured I would replace the primary CQR with a new anchor. I was thinking of a Bruce but after a bit of research, I took a leap of faith and bought a Rocna. I've got a 45', 28,000# boat and I figure that an anchor is the cheapest insurance you can get so I purchased the 30KG Rocna. Basically, it's at least 1 size up from the recommended size.

I've got plenty of experience with CQRs and I was constantly having to try multiple times to get the anchor set. Not only does that wear thin on the patience, it's hard on gear and dangerous. I have to admit, I was "seduced" by the claims that a Rocna sets in 3' or less. Up here in British Columbia, the cruising is very much like New Zealand (at least the north island) so I figured if it was originally designed there, tested there and worked there, it should do OK here.

By far and away, the Rocna is the best piece of gear I've ever put on any boat. It just flat out works. Hard sand, mud, kelp, shells - it just sets and holds. My primary rode is 300' of 5/16 HT and with scopes of 2.5 or 7, I never have to worry about setting the thing. I've had other sailors come up and ask what the heck that "thing" after they've tried and re-tried to set with a CQR or Danforth.

The rest of the anchoring gear on my boat is this: 45# CQR, 35# HiTest Danforth, 7# Fortress and 100# Fisherman. Rodes are 250' 3/4 plait, 2x 175' 3/4 plait, 3 chain leads of 2x 50' 5/16 HT and 1x 35' 5/16 HT. I mix and match the rope rodes and chain leads as required.

If you're thinking about a new anchor and the Rocna in particular, it gets my highest recommendation!

Bert
cbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:09   #110
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
30' LOW WINDAGE 300LB CAT. 10 LB r0CNA 1 /12 YEAR SO FAR , SETS RIGHT NOW , HANDLES CUERRENT CHAMGE AND IS RELUCTANT TO COME UP IF THERE HAS BEEN ANY WIND ABOVE 25-30. VERY PLEASED DAVID

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:39   #111

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
30' LOW WINDAGE 300LB CAT. 10 LB r0CNA 1 /12 YEAR SO FAR , SETS RIGHT NOW , HANDLES CUERRENT CHAMGE AND IS RELUCTANT TO COME UP IF THERE HAS BEEN ANY WIND ABOVE 25-30. VERY PLEASED DAVID
I think not

Quote:
Weight (empty):
750 kg
1650 lbs

James Wharram Designs -Home of the self-build Catamaran.
And 10lb? they dont make one, perhaps you mean size 10? (10kg- 22lb)

Rocna Anchors - Sizing Recommendations
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51   #112
Sponsoring Vendor

You're correct. The boat weight is 3000 lbs. Anchor weight is 10 kg. David

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54   #113
Sponsoring Vendor

Wharram's wieghts are very optimistic. The boat took significantly longer to build than 1100 hrs as well. David

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-01-2010, 07:42   #114

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Bringing up the "Rocna" seems to be the #1 complant people have as it sets deep..
After The first anchor I had to cut lose, (a CQR) in shelter cove in California's northern area, Seams the fisherman up in that area use old diesal truck blocks for the base for morring bouys and I happened to hook one in 40 feet of water..
Spent more than 4 hours trying to break it lose so I cut the chain and let Davey Jones have it..
After that incounter, I have always put a "Tag" line off the back of the anchor with a fender tied to it...
If I'm having any trouble at all in pulling it up.. I'll pull forward and pick up the fender with the tag line on it.. The Rocna comes out easy when pulled from the rear..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:43   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Americat 30 Catamaran
If you are looking into Geminis, check this website. Jim is cruising in hull 536 and compares the Manson to the Rocna. He went with the 15Kg for the 105 34'.
Julio
juliohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:47   #116
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Americat 30 Catamaran
Oops, forgot to include the link. lol
Gemini 105 Projects - Jim Faughn
juliohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 13:02   #117

Boat: Sabre 28
Hi,

I am looking for a new anchor for my pocket cruiser and was basically ready to go with the Rocna 10 based on build quality (folded plate steel blade) but then found out they no longer build them like this and use a cast blade instead.

Anyone have build quality comments on the new Rocna's with the cast blades built in China? Esp. if you have compared the cast/Chinese Rocna's compared to the original folded steel NZ/Canadian built versions.

If you have only seen the original folded plate steel version that doesn't really help me as they are no longer built like that.

Thanks,

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 13:23   #118

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a new anchor for my pocket cruiser and was basically ready to go with the Rocna 10 based on build quality (folded plate steel blade) but then found out they no longer build them like this and use a cast blade instead.

Anyone have build quality comments on the new Rocna's with the cast blades built in China? Esp. if you have compared the cast/Chinese Rocna's compared to the original folded steel NZ/Canadian built versions.

If you have only seen the original folded plate steel version that doesn't really help me as they are no longer built like that.

Thanks,

Shawn
Not true.

"Each Rocna begins life in one of our three manufacturing facilities worldwide, located in New Zealand, China, and Canada. Each facility produces anchors to the same stringent specifications and standards, and no compromises or short-cuts are acceptable.

A Rocna consists of three primary components, all formed from modern high quality alloy steels. The fluke (also referred to as the blade) is solid steel throughout, featuring a sharp aggressive toe with a geometry which is folded rather than rolled to form its essential concave shape. This fold reinforces the fluke right the end of the toe, to provide maximum resistance to bending. The roll-bar is pipe, hollow so weight may be allocated elsewhere. The shank is precision cut from top grade high tensile steel plate, which is extremely resistant to the twisting and bending forces present when the anchor is under great load."
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 13:33   #119

Boat: Sabre 28
I know what their website says, I was going to purchase one based on that. However after seeing comments here I emailed Suncoast Marine (NA distributor for Rocna) asking about where they are built and how they are made. Mark Pocock responded:

"Rocna anchors sold through West Marine were originally manufactured in Canada, until we consolidated manufacturing with the New Zealand factory. Recently we have been sourcing product from a new purpose built facility in China, which has been turning out a superb product for us. Country of origin is maked on the bar code of all anchors, and there may still be some product other than from China in the pipeline, but going forward all product will be from the China factory, which has a cast blade."

Rocna's website is apparently out of date.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 17:14   #120

Boat: Trismus 37
Hm, interesting.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna