Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:40   #1

Thinking about an electric windlass. Couple questions

All -

After 12 seasons of back breaking hauling of 50' of chain out of the water I am taking a look at an electric windlass setup. I have a 35' Beneteau with a manual vertical windlass below deck. Its great but electric seems greater...

Currently I have 50' of 3B chain with maybe 100' of rope. Most of my anchoring is during the day in sand in very mild waters in about 15' of depth. Or overnight at an island with a sandy bottom. Typically a protected cove where depths may vary from 12-30'.

Questions:
1. Do I need to change out the chain I have if I switch to an electric windlass?
2. Battery up front or battery in back?
3. If I do not need to replace the current chain/rope setup - any estimate on costs to install?

Thank yoU!
jpeac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:16   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Thinking about an electric windlass. Couple questions

I would put the batt FWD with as big power a wire as you can afford. It makes such a difference.
The rope chain splice and the rope itself don't always work so well in some makes of windlass. I would get recomendations on which do. You should be able to stick with BBB chain.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 13:22   #3

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21
Re: Thinking about an electric windlass. Couple questions

Agree windlass battery up front. Size all cables as big as you can to reduce voltage drop. (This is usually at least one size more than you had planned). Have a qualified msrine sparkie check your charging system and follow his recommendations..
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, wind, windlass