Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 05:43   #1

Thoughts on mantus snap shackle for snubber

What are your guys' thoughts on using the mantus snap shackle https://www.mantusmarine.com/mooring-snap-shackle/ for attaching my snubber while at anchor? One the one hand it doesn't seem as strong as a straight hook, but on the other there is no chance of it ever getting unhooked

Or is this a better option https://www.kong.it/en/product/chain-gripper/

Also is there any benefit to using a soft shackle between the snap shackle and my anchor chain? seems redundant to me but I see it done a lot
nuru05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:05   #2

Re: Thoughts on mantus snap shackle for snubber

I have long since given up on traditional chain hooks. We use long snubbers, and it is not unusual for the junction of chain and snubber to touch bottom. Every version of the “claw” type chain hook then instantly falls off the chain.

We simply tie on the snubber with a rolling hitch. It has worked flawlessly for us over 15 years of full time cruising. It takes 10 seconds to tie, and no additional parts (like the dyneema gasket) are needed.

The reason for the dyneema loop (it’s not a “soft shackle”) is because any metal shackle that is small enough to fit inside the chain links is going to be far and away the weak link in the system.

Just a hypothetical for you: It’s 02:00 and a squall comes through, your anchor starts to drag. First thing to try, is let out more scope. The only way to do this is to attach a new snubber, cast off the first one and then let out the additional scope. How are you going to attach the new snubber?

We are big fans of Mantus products, but this one just doesn’t fit into our systems.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07   #3

I must be dumb I can't really see how the Kong one actually attaches, the drawings look to have been done by Escher for all the use they are. ��
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
I must be dumb I can't really see how the Kong one actually attaches, the drawings look to have been done by Escher for all the use they are. ��
it's attached to the snubber with a shackle and you take the pin out and slide it around the chain
Old Today, 06:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I have long since given up on traditional chain hooks. We use long snubbers, and it is not unusual for the junction of chain and snubber to touch bottom. Every version of the “claw” type chain hook then instantly falls off the chain.

We simply tie on the snubber with a rolling hitch. It has worked flawlessly for us over 15 years of full time cruising. It takes 10 seconds to tie, and no additional parts (like the dyneema gasket) are needed.

The reason for the dyneema loop (it’s not a “soft shackle”) is because any metal shackle that is small enough to fit inside the chain links is going to be far and away the weak link in the system.

Just a hypothetical for you: It’s 02:00 and a squall comes through, your anchor starts to drag. First thing to try, is let out more scope. The only way to do this is to attach a new snubber, cast off the first one and then let out the additional scope. How are you going to attach the new snubber?

We are big fans of Mantus products, but this one just doesn’t fit into our systems.
I suppose I would just tie on the 2nd one, having the shackle just makes things quicker and easier to attach under ideal conditions.
Old Today, 07:49   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
Also is there any benefit to using a soft shackle between the snap shackle and my anchor chain? seems redundant to me but I see it done a lot
Skip the snap shackle and just use a soft shackle. With no metal there is nothing to bend or jam and it is kinder on the galvanising.
Old Today, 08:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Skip the snap shackle and just use a soft shackle. With no metal there is nothing to bend or jam and it is kinder on the galvanising.

is a soft shackle reliable for this kind of application (where it might be dragged in the mud/sand and tension is applied and released over and over?

Tags
Mantus