Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 19:53   #31

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Tight Anchorage spacing?

When we were anchored in Bahia Magdalena, some doof came and started to anchor within 40' of me. There were 6 boats there plus him and 12 miles (12 MILES!) of good anchorage. I yelled over to him that I had 300' of rode out. No need to be rude, just providing good information. He moved and it blew 30 that night.
Old 23-01-2013, 05:46   #32

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

When I am drinking with sailors and the conversation turns boring, I just throw out a zinger about anchoring or better yet that one anchor is better than another and the conversation takes off...

I think the orginal question was what is a comfortable distance between anchored boats and as demonstrated by the above answers, everyone hs there own comfort level, which I am sure is based on their own training, experiences andmost importantly their individual type of ground tackle and of course bottom conditions.

I found it interesting how people were throwing out SCOPE ratios... They were all over the board, without regard or mentioning their ground tackle, which would effect what SCOPE ratios to use, not to mention the weather and bottom conditions.

Every situation is different.... To use a hard number for SCOPE for every anchoring situation is silly in my opinion.

Anyway my answer to you orginal question is in a crowded anchorage, with no significant weather or tides anticipanted and a good holding bottom, I am comfortable with two boat lengths or about 100 feet between anchors vessels, regardless of SCOPE.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 12:29   #33

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

Every situation is different.... To use a hard number for SCOPE for every anchoring situation is silly in my opinion.

Anyway my answer to you orginal question is in a crowded anchorage, with no significant weather or tides anticipanted and a good holding bottom, I am comfortable with two boat lengths or about 100 feet between anchors vessels, regardless of SCOPE.
Hypothetical: Two fifty foot boats. You've anchored and deployed 6:1 scope (because that's what you believe the situation calls for), and then your new neighbor anchors upwind ending up two boat lengths away with 3:1 scope (because that's what He believes the situation calls for) and you've both deployed 3/8 inch chain attached to a 30 thousand kilo block of steel as an anchor. Then the wind clocks around, an insignificant little wind shift of, say, onshore to offshore breeze around sunset. You really think that scope won't ever become a factor in playing bumper-boats?

Iv'e sketched out that scenario (and variations) on graph paper trying to understand your reasoning. I keep seeing the boats bumping if there are significant differences in scope deployed. Maybe my drawing/measuring skills aren't up to the task....

Or maybe I'm too accustomed to observing even slight changes in breeze and tides causing boats with different keels/ rudders/ topsides to perform uncoordinated waltzes 'round the anchorage.

Anyway, the original question wanted opinions on what others feel "comfortable" with and opinions will vary. That's life.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 12:51   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Hypothetical: Two fifty foot boats. You've anchored and deployed 6:1 scope (because that's what you believe the situation calls for), and then your new neighbor anchors upwind ending up two boat lengths away with 3:1 scope (because that's what He believes the situation calls for) and you've both deployed 3/8 inch chain attached to a 30 thousand kilo block of steel as an anchor. Then the wind clocks around, an insignificant little wind shift of, say, onshore to offshore breeze around sunset. You really think that scope won't ever become a factor in playing bumper-boats?

Iv'e sketched out that scenario (and variations) on graph paper trying to understand your reasoning. I keep seeing the boats bumping if there are significant differences in scope deployed. Maybe my drawing/measuring skills aren't up to the task....

Or maybe I'm too accustomed to observing even slight changes in breeze and tides causing boats with different keels/ rudders/ topsides to perform uncoordinated waltzes 'round the anchorage.

Anyway, the original question wanted opinions on what others feel "comfortable" with and opinions will vary. That's life.
Different scopes do cause problems in anchorages, but in light winds the bow of the boat will move very little. The stern will rotate to align to the wind direction.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 13:09   #35

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I never said anything about 10:1 but I do anchor at 8:1. I do it so if weather were to come in I would not have to worry about adjusting my scope past 4:1 because its not possible with others right up my ass. If my safe anchoring somehow gets your panties in a bunch, thats your tough luck. I wont be demonized for 8:1, not gonna happen.

Good luck when you get down to Bequi in the Caribbean pal!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 13:38   #36

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We usually turn on the radar when we're approaching a crowded anchorage. The lets us know our exact distance to other boats. When our radar is set to the 1/8th mile range, the smallest ring is about 180 feet and we always try to anchor so no boats are inside that ring but its not always possible.

With an all chain rode, we try to anchor with at least a 4:1 scope. If we take the 20' depth as an example, our bow roller is 5' off the water and if we anchor at low tide, 80' of chain (4:1 at 20' depth) is suddenly less than 3:1 (20' depth + 5' to the bow roller and from 20' depth to 25') which would make me uncomfortable, assuming there was a 5' tidal range. Therefore, I would put out about 125' of chain to make sure I had my 4:1 scope, regardless of the tide.

All that being said, on New Year's Eve, anchored in Athol Bay in Sydney Harbour a few weeks ago, we could almost walk from boat to boat yet we didn't have any problems. Kept things interesting, though.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 08:28   #37

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61;1136486
[FONT=Comic Sans MS
Where I sail on my boats 180's are a way of life mate.. I just make sure I'm never downwind of powerboats.... this is the UK and Europe..[/FONT]

OHHhh, I did not understand you were only in Europe, mate
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 08:47   #38

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Since you can't anchor your neighbor's boat

That is, you can't be certain as to what they have or don't have have regarding anchor size, type or scope . . . and often you can't rely on what they tell you, isn't the best thing to do is to have an anchor marker and some of those BIG blow-up fenders?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 13:34   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
While I enjoy seeing other boats laying at anchor as the sun sets, I'd rather not hear their conversations. Voices travel. Especially some after a few drinky-poo's.

The ICW takes its toll after a long day and I've heard couples vent on each other frequently. Sorta makes me glad I'm a singlehander.

I also believe the 'pack mentality' comes with some. But when there's plenty of room and someone pulls up and sets close, that's just as the British say "bad form".
Old 28-01-2013, 13:59   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tight Anchorage spacing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
OHHhh, I did not understand you were only in Europe, mate

LOL... sorry bout that one...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:03   #41

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

This is a GREAT thread to sort out who ACTUALLY cruisers a boat, and who cruises a keyboard. 10:1? 8:1? Really? where, how often?

Let's say you are on a smaller boat, 30'. You find 10' of water, add 4' for the height of the bow and you are looking at 170 swing radius and 340' of swing circle (+10-20% if you allow for anchor resetting on a current / wind shift). In most cases you are going to be on the beach in a shift with that, or at least going to foul half a doZen other boats as you claim your "share" of the anchorage.

I am raising the BS flag. Maybe in a hurricane, or the rare circumstance... Otherwise I say set down Chapman's and get off the couch and go sailing and see how that works out.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:04   #42

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

The great thing about the Bahamas is anchoring in less than 6 ft of water (MLW) with a 5 ft draft

I am on a mooring with a boat 30 ft away. I better get off this Thread!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:22   #43

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
The great thing about the Bahamas is anchoring in less than 6 ft of water (MLW) with a 5 ft draft

I am on a mooring with a boat 30 ft away. I better get off this Thread!
Exactly! How about this;

42' boat, right now anchored in 34' of water. Just went out and confirmed 6' height of bow above water. So, the mythical 10:1 crowd would have me on.... Get this, 400' of chain? Giving me 502,400' of anchorage to claim as "mine" not to be infringed by others... Unless they set the same as me.... R U kidding me?

Oh, I forgot to add some to allow for the anchor to reset.....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:23   #44
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

@s/v Faith, 8:1, 8 months a year, canadian border to key west, headed to bahamas, never at dock or on mooring. I never anchor near anyone, its how I roll. You're post makes you sound as if you have all the answers. You do not.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 14:34   #45
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

s/v Faith, the only BS here is coming right from you, I take offense at your keyboard cruiser comments, But you're the BS guy so I guess its all in fun. And I never said anything about 10:1, I follow 8:1 as max storm scope, as per good ole pete smith clearly says is pointless to try to reduce the angle of pull less then 7° or 8° at 8:1.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor