Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 09:24   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Tight Anchorage Spacing?

It is important that boats in the anchorage are on a similar scope.

If however, everyone is at 8:1 the amount of room taken up is much the same as when everyone is at 4:1. In fact it is light variable winds, when the shorter scopes are likely to used, there is greater risk of collision.

The concept that someone should not anchor in your swinging circle is generally totally unnecessary and unrealistic in the crowded anchorages of the world.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 09:55   #62

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
growly--i am OLD....youth aint goin there..lol.....

rodlmao
How old is old? You under 90? I been 29 now for 24 years and I sure don't feel old. Not even a little bit. You are adventuring around in Mexico in a sailboat... that doesn't sound exactly like you are ready for the rocking chair, shawl, and knitting needles.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:46   #63

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Topic Drift…. {With apologies.)

Grand’pappy said:

If the anchor is big enough, all ya’ need is a fat chunk of line long enough to reach anchor to bow cleat at high tide. ‘Course, being that heavy an anchor you’ll probably pull the bow below water a’for you get that thing off the bottom.

Then again, if you lay out a long enough chain ya’ don’t need an anchor at the end of it. ‘Course, if the wind shifts or the tide turns ya’ might have a bit of trouble. And where ya’ gonna store 15 or 20 cable lengths of chain?

The trick here, sonny, is to get a decent anchor of just the right shape and weight, and use just enough chain, or maybe chain and line, so that your boat stays where you want it.

He then told me to listen to other sailors and use their collected wisdom as to how to rig my boat and how to sail and anchor her. ‘Cause other sailors who’d been there and done that would agree on how best that somebody else should do things. Then he grinned and walked away.

So one day I joined CF.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:55   #64
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
He then told me to listen to other sailors and use their collected wisdom as to how to rig my boat and how to sail and anchor her. ‘Cause other sailors who’d been there and done that would agree on how best that somebody else should do things. Then he grinned and walked away.

So one day I joined CF.
so how is that working out for you in getting the clear winning answers?
Old 29-01-2013, 16:20   #65

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
so how is that working out for you in getting the clear winning answers?
Excuse me while I laugh.....
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 17:28   #66

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Sooner or later your boat will be kissed by your neighbor's. Buy the biggest fenders you can afford to stave off that unwanted kiss! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 06:32   #67

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Tight Anchorage spacing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
In popular anchorages in the Bahamas it is not uncommon to be a boatlenghth or so from your neighbour. In these circumstances I usually ask my neighbour how much he/she has out before I anchor. After I have anchored I ask my neighbour if he/she is comfortable with where I'm at. Ninety percent of the time they say it's fine, if it's not I'll move. It's just common courtesy.

In anchorages where there is a strong tidal current and wind and tide can oppose I always inform new boats anchoring close by what the situation is and that extra separation is required.
This ^^^, coupled with "It depends"

Assumption is the mother of catastrophe, and as people have noted you cannot reliably assume what the boats around you are doing in terms of the length of their rode and the security of their anchor. Always consult a weather report and be aware of what the current is going to do in your area before setting the hook. Asking those around you how they are anchored is always good practice.

About 30 years ago when I was around 20 we anchored in a harbor on the last day of a charter in the Grenadines. I forget which island it was but the anchorage was tight and lay between the main island and a smaller island maybe a mile long. It was me, my older brother and sister and some friends of ours, my parents having left us on the second day of the trip due to an unexpected medical issue. We dropped anchor went ashore, had dinner, came back, went to bed, everything was good. In the middle of the night we were awoken by an impact that knocked yours truly right out of his berth and heeled the boat. Scrambling to the deck we found ourselves, in our 50' sloop, pinned hard against the side of a similar size boat by strong current. In short, the current had changed in the night and everyone in the tight part of the anchorage was anchored bow and stern. We had swung into our neighbor and it took quite a bit of effort and scrambling to get ourselves off. Fortunately there was minimal damage to both boats but it was a lesson in the prudence of educating yourself about how everyone around you is anchored if the quarters are tight.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 06:37   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i advise folks of my anchor's location and of location of my chain, and i am discussed by others as a bitch...lovin it, as no one anchors near me.

i really dislike having to save my boat sola when someone drags up my anchor without regard f or others welfare.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:48   #69

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i advise folks of my anchor's location and of location of my chain, and i am discussed by others as a bitch...lovin it, as no one anchors near me.

i really dislike having to save my boat sola when someone drags up my anchor without regard f or others welfare.
You can anchor next to me any day !!

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 04:53   #70
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor