Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 09:55   #1

Boat: PT-11
Titanium Swivel

At the risk of starting another swivel war, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this swivel. Any comments, including uninformed speculation, are welcome. It seems to deal with the side pull issue and should be quite strong, being made of titanium.

0019405 Titanium Titan Anchor Swivel with Shackle fitting 3/8 inch Chain - Allied Titanium Market
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 10:00   #2

Re: Titanium Swivel

6AL4V Ti is very strong, very tough and very corrosion resistant.. I've never seen Ti polished like that... in fact didnt think it could be polished to any great extent. Ti is not a good bearing surface though, galling between two ti rotating pieces would occur fairly fast. Still.... looks like a good bet! Howe much are those?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 10:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

do they do titanium anchor chain and anchors as well?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:18   #4

26 kg anchor for only
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:19   #5

26 kg anchor for only $5558.13
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
26 kg anchor for only $5558.13
guess i need 2 of them

i wonder what the equivalent to a 45kg bugal would be?
weight or surface area?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Looks like another doodad for those with too much money to burn. Price is conspiculously absent and the polishing is totally a cosmetic addition. The addtional cost of polishing is probably more than most people have in their entire ground tackle. Titanium is a great material for marine use but just the word titanium seems to quadruple the price, not the cost to manufacture, of something made from it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Rover,

While you are correct that parts typically cast (like anchors) are much more expensive than steel comparables, parts that are typically machines (bolts, nuts, chainplates, ect) can be similarly priced to stainless. The issue is that Ti cannot be cast in air because it absorbes oxygen, causing embrittlement (this is the same reason it has to be TIG welded).

However when compared to stainless parts titanium will never corrode. And by never I mean that the navy takes original titanium parts off of decommissioned ships, and reinstalls them on new ships. This is why titanium is quickly gaining ground in the marine industry. Not for every fastener, but for those things that absolutely cannot be allowed to fail. Like chainplates, through hull fittings, mast tangs, ect. The moderately higher price than 316 stainless (depending on the part between 15-30%) as compared to a part that can reasonably be relied upon to last for not just the life of your boat, but the one that replaces it as well.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 13:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...Ti is not a good bearing surface though, galling between two ti rotating pieces would occur fairly fast...
by fairly fast - years - months?
What about scraping against the right angles of a galvanized anchor slot, anchor chain and stuff on the bottom?
Although stronger than ss and will not rust. Will it tear apart?
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 13:45   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

On an anchor swivel the galling would not really be a problem. Its not a constantly rotating device. Those are CAD renderings though. Not pictures of polished parts. Its a bear to machine. Made welding horns for ultrasonics from Ti. Tough stuff and very tough to polish. We only polished the bare minimum contact areas. Cryptonite we called it.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:16   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Besides the missing price, there is no listed SWL nor breaking strength. If this is a legitimate product one would expect those features to be prominently displayed.

Looks like a nice bit of gear, but it makes me wonder...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-06-2012, 18:40   #12

Strong, light , non corrosive... Yes. Can be crack prone if not manufactured with great knowledge. under a microscope, Ti looks a lot like cast material... even when it's not. Rotating or sliding parts together will gall pretty fast... make that REAL fast! Give it any chance to propagate a crack and it will. However, done properly it;s cool! Turns an ugly flat grey pretty fast. I would think casting it for an anchor would be a great use, however, as mentioned, it would have to be cast in an atmosphere of Argon or vacuum... so I guess too expensive.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:06   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

GEE !! why use something like that, on a galvinized chain and anchor or even a ss anchor with Galive chain!! whats wrong with good old galivinized Stuff ?? been working for more years then even I can remember !! I sorta think stuff like this is like most fishing lures, meant to catch fishermen not fish !! make it trick and jack the price up !! LOL Personaly I carry lots of new galive stuff and replace when needed, its much cheaper and lasts just as long as the trick stuff !! and for the price of the fancy stuff I can carry years worth stuff I know works just fine !! Just my 2 cents
Old 05-06-2012, 19:24   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
by fairly fast - years - months?
What about scraping against the right angles of a galvanized anchor slot, anchor chain and stuff on the bottom?
Although stronger than ss and will not rust. Will it tear apart?
Grade 5 Titanium has a yield of 120,000 psi and a tensile of 130,000. That is realtively little range between yield and rupture. You won't bend it around like softer metals. In a straight pull your chain will probably go first. If its levered around something you would increase the stresses.

Just now replacing my chainplates. 1983 installed and they had heavy tea stains and a row of tear-on-the-dotted-line pits at just below deck level. Also looks like a micro crack in the same area. 202.00 each for 1/2 X 2-1/2 X 24. I will finish them in the machine shop where I work. Scotch-Bright wheel will put a nice butler polish on them.
www.titanium.com Make sure you never tell the sales guy its for a boat. Price variation between 4 sources was 2:1
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 21:10   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Kind of a strange time to do this...

I just accepted (about an hour ago) a position as a salesman for Allied Titanium, and wanted to make the thread aware of that. Note that I actually did not have a business relationship with Allied (other than as a customer) at the time I made all previous comments on this thread.

I will need to check the forum rules on manufacturers representatives using the forum, before continuing to add to the conversation, but if I can be of any help, or if you would like more information please feel free to contact me by PM.

Greg Rubin
Allied Titanium
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote