Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 10:17   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
To the marina or to anchor?

In a way this topic could be a poll, but I am more interested in the process of "why" rather than the end result of "how." When I first started sailing with my buddies, we would go to marinas every night. The purpose of the sail seem to be from pub to pub.

Latter as I did more sailing on my own I started avoiding marinas and instead enjoyed the "gungholing" experience of anchoring and exploring. Sometimes the trip would only be anchoring in sheltered areas and we never left the boat; content to stay on board and do whatever to pass the time away.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with marinas, as I still enjoy them. But I wondering if you moved through a similar process. Do you still mostly moor at marinas, or is the majority of your anchoring in more secluded, unsupported areas?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I think the answer is relationship based. Because the one thing I enjoy is meeting fellow cruisers. I am not a crowd person. I would simply not go to a Pub if I did not know anyone. I would if a few freinds decided lets go up for a meal and a drink. But if I am in a place with no one I know, and no other boats around, I am very happy to just sit at anchor and take in the view, go to the shore and explore, etc etc. The only time I would go to a Marina is to gain access to a town and facilities, if I can't get into it when on anchor.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:10   #3
cruiser

We like to get as far away as possible. Just like you, in my younger days it was all about going out to the different bars. Well, I guess even back then I would gunkhole with my ex-girlfriend. I think when you are out with the guys the bars thing becomes more of a factor.

Now, I like to get as far away from civilization as possible and enjoy unspoiled nature.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 13:39   #4

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Laundry/Showers

My wife and I love to anchor out but she insists on a good shower and a place to do laundry every 3-4 days. We usually spend 2 nights in the marina, then 4 on the hook. This has worked well for the last 3 months cruising around Florida. Not sure what we will do next winter in the Bahamas.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 16:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We travel with friends and members of our yacht club. When calm we do big raft ups. We can party or some times we just fine a quiet creek to drop the hook in. Chesapeake has loads of these places. Some have towns and others have nothing. My wife needs to get on land every 3 - 4 days too. We ca take a decent shower on the boat so that helps a lot.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 17:46   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
We travel with friends and members of our yacht club. When calm we do big raft ups.
Now THAT is a lot of fun. I haven't had as many people to do that with lately. I look forward to some fun raft-ups again in the future.

Gotta say... I got lucky again. The wife is happy being away from land as long as I am. In fact, even during our delivery of this boat from Wisconsin to Long Island (by water), we went ashore only to provision and eat 1 meal out. It was something like a 2000 mile trip.
Old 12-04-2006, 18:15   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
How about 12 boats! We do some big rafts in the Seaford Yacht Club. It helps to have some big boats to hold the anchor. A 48 ft Crogan and a 55 ft Fleming are pretty nice anchors. Power boats are good for a few things. Add to that a pot luck and you get a nice evening.

The trick is knowing when the raft has to break up. When mother nature calls you best answer the phone.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 16:30   #8

I have never liked spending even a night in a marina for many reasons. Little privacy... the wind is usually less and does not blow thru the boat unless it is lying exactly into the wind... noisy... smelly... light pollution...

I love to anchor off and enjoy the play of the boat in the wind... it's one of the sweetest parts of sailing.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 16:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
We keep our boat anchored all the time. I do not have a slip and when we travel we don't go to marinas. In this area a slip for our boat is at least $75. per night.
Old 13-04-2006, 17:00   #10

Quote:
defjef once whispered in the wind

Little privacy... the wind is usually less and does not blow thru the boat unless it is lying exactly into the wind... noisy... smelly... light pollution...
defjef.

If you're referring to NYC? The city that you have mentioned on your biography. Then it's no wonder you're complaining. Overcrowded marinas and the pollution from the city will be very evident around you. In this case!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 17:05   #11

CaptainK

We live in lower westchester but have a mooring in delightful Shelter Island 100 east. My comment refers to ANY marina that I have been around for the past 20 yrs... How about Newport RI.. ICK.... we prefer even the crowded anchorage new Ida Lewis.

When I lived aboard in the Caribbean, I did like the Dockyard in English Harbor, but this is hardly a marina by US standards. Even there, I anchored off...

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 18:28   #12

Alrighty then.

So "any" marina. Are you referring "just" along the east coast & the gulf coast? Or just anywhere in the world?

I just had to ask that. Cause you didn't really specify that, in your original "question" post!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 13-04-2006, 18:42   #13
cruiser

Marinas

In the last 22 years that I've owned my current boat,I've never paid to tie to a dock. I can cruise full time for what many people pay to tie to a dock , people who complain about the cost of cruising.I have cruised 10 or 11 months a year since I was 26 years old. Cutting costs is the easiest way to accomplish that.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 14:17   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois Riel
In the last 22 years that I've owned my current boat,I've never paid to tie to a dock. I can cruise full time for what many people pay to tie to a dock , people who complain about the cost of cruising.I have cruised 10 or 11 months a year since I was 26 years old. Cutting costs is the easiest way to accomplish that.
Brent
Wow... that is one impressive record! What do you do (or does everyone do) when they have to leave the boat for a couple weeks at a time?

I had never thought of leaving it at anchor... don't know why... but it hadn't entered my mind. Any tricks?

PS: I have a trick actually... I am writing a little piece of software to allow my computer to send me a text message if my anchor drags.
Old 14-04-2006, 14:28   #15

Hey Sean.

If you could actually come up with some kind of computer program. Designed to moniter the anchor. Along with some kind of gadget that goes with the program. I'll buy it!!

Tags
anchor