Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 07:45   #31

Re: Total anchor length to carry in the Med

We've been sailing in the Med for years. 50m chain + 50m rope is fine - we rarely need the rope; just use a 10m bungee on the chain.
IanTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:53   #32

Boat: Bavaria 36'

It depends where you plan to sail, in many places there is deep water right up to the rocks. If you look on your anchor as a piece of emergency kit then you need a good bit of chain and then a lot of rope in reserve.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:56   #33

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTrail View Post
We've been sailing in the Med for years. 50m chain + 50m rope is fine - we rarely need the rope; just use a 10m bungee on the chain.
I was concerned I'd overdone it with the extra 45m of 16mm Octoplait on our 60m of 8mm chain. Did I really need 105m of rode?

Well we moored up in Kalamos harbour this year with a bit of a breeze expected and George the "harbourmaster" asked us to lay out "lots and lots". So we did, we dropped the hook 2/3rd of the way across the harbour and laid out 85m. In 4m of water!! Did seem excessive at the time but when the wind picked up later everyone was grateful they had a lot of rode out.

We've even had 80m out when reversing back into Preveza Town and we were in the more sheltered northern end of the wall.

You really never know when you might be really for those extra meters.

I'm not so sure about a 10m bungee but we do have a double leg 15m snubber that secures to the aft cleats for those days when the wind is due to pick up. I go back to the aft to help reduce the swinging my boat does on anchor. In lighter winds I use the 2x10m snubber to the midships or even the 2x5m off the bow cleats.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:25   #34

Don’t forget to check/ask about the windlass power (watts) and breaker size for your chosen weight of chain, should you ever need to haul in the whole length/weight?
We have chartered a few boats that trip all to easily due to low specs....even when motoring in the slack chain
Trevorgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:41   #35

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
SS is stronger than galvanized? I don't think so!
I can prove it is stronger. Look how much heavier a wallet it can carry away.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:08   #36

It's a tough call. A 30ft boat has to be very careful about weight in her ends - especially if she has fine ends. A huge load of chain in the forepeak can increase hobby horsing - hurting speed, comfort, tracking, and make the boat wetter.

I would tend towards going up one size in anchor. 10lbs in the anchor will beat 10lbs of chain anyday. And us one of the "new-gen" anchors. Use G4 chain.

Assume that when using all your chain the water will be deep enough that the the catenary will allow you to have a 4:1 scope.

Whatever length of chain you decide on, splice 150ft of 8 plait rope to it for the occasional very deep spot. The 8 plait packs into a very small space in the bottom of the anchor locker compared to 3 strand.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:52   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernviking View Post
Morning all! (or afternoon depend on where you're)
I'm about to fit a proper windlass and some chain with it, but how much is enough chain to store?
The facts:
The boat is a 30 feet long keel, with a draft of 1.4m, she weights around 3.400kg when The anchor's on board an' the cable's all stored.
At the moment i sail in Scandinavia but preparing to go for the Mediterranean with her.
Looking forward to hear from you all!
ModernViking
Hi,
I guess 80 mt will be enough for your weight and draft.
yusuftugce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:21   #38

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean

We are currently sailing in the Mediterranean and have 70 m.
So far all good length wise.
Old 01-02-2021, 13:22   #39

Boat: Privilege 37

[QUOTE originally posted by Scorpius]
SS is stronger than galvanized? I don't think so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
I can prove it is stronger. Look how much heavier a wallet it can carry away.
SS is great on the deck and in the anchor locker. It is not so good underwater where it can deteriorate whilst still looking good, up until it breaks.

If you are only going to use it once a year, you can probably get away with SS. If you anchor all the time, you might want to check your insurance.
Old 01-02-2021, 22:37   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I have a Beneteau 473 - 47 ft and now carry 60 meters of galvanized chain . I have ridden out 30 knot winds ( gusting 40 ) on 40 meters of chain with 15 x meters of rode , before I increased to 60 x meters . I now intend to increase again to 90 x meters just more comfortable . I do a very large chain locker - the minute the locker is too small , one has to flake the chain , both in and out , this is really dangerous ( fingers and arms ) . The chain also doesn't always run free , which usually happens at the worst time .

The length must be governed by locker size etc. The weight of chain in the bow - is also in the worst possible place .

40 x m for a boat of your size should be more than enough - you can also carry a additional rode to lengthen when needed . I have separated my rode , as a rode spliced into the chain , creates rust on the chain very quickly .

I hope this helps - good luck .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:12   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
Also keep in mind you will be "med" mooring most of the time with anchor set out front and backing into a slip or land. You should bring at least 300' of stout line (150' for each side of your transom) for backing into the landing you will med moor in.
I don't understand this. When med mooring I've always backed up close enough to pick up lines already there or to throw stern lines to someone on dock or even step ashore with my stern lines. How would you get 150' lines to dock?

Sorry, I realise this is off topic.
les22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:27   #42

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

Having sailed the Med for 40 years, anchoring for a month at a time, this is my suggestion: 30 m of 10 mm chain + 100 m good rope, and you can take whatever (almost) weather. If you go up that size with the chain, you'll improve the holding a lot and it will be enough for "normal" weather in depths up to 5-6 m without deploying the rope. In deep settings, you'll have enough rope. I would also add a stern anchor, possibly a Fortress with weighted rope (easy to deploy bow on such in many Greek islands, easy and fast to retrieve). Not my gear, with a heavy almost 40' with high freeboard I use a 36 kg anchor with 60 m 10 mm chain. !00 m of rope ready to be added).
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:47   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Total anchor length to carry in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by les22 View Post
I don't understand this. When med mooring I've always backed up close enough to pick up lines already there or to throw stern lines to someone on dock or even step ashore with my stern lines. How would you get 150' lines to dock?

Well you need to carry a 150ft passarelle for a start..
Mind.. If you anchor in a Cala you'd need a fair length to hook your stern to a tree or big rock to stop your swing.
I would settle for 3.5 times your boat length + 20 metres.. and if you want to play safe splice 25 metres of anchor plait to the chain.
Deepest I have ever anchored in the Med has been 10 metres from Gib to Samos.. average has been around 6 metres.
I suppose if scuba is on your agenda 20 metre depths may arise but for the average cruiser no..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:56   #44

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by les22 View Post

That's correct when med mooring to a quay but often you tie stern lines to shore when anchoring in a bay. Long floating lines helps when you swim or dinghy your lines ashore.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote