Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 17:28   #31

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Truck, Anchors, Fair Fight

Here is some more fun for you guys

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oll-95248.html
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:15   #32

I can say a little about Mantus. I know Greg and Deneen well. I have watched them develop the Mantus Anchor and chain hook over the last couple of years. Although this is a very serious business venture for both Greg and Deneen, it was started from their passion for sailing. They both are very experienced and accomplished sailors. They both also have 'other' careers as stated by Sailorman375, Greg is an ER Physician and Deneen is a top engineer with NASA.
This is not an endeavour that either of them take lightly. They have invested countless hours and lots of $ to bring to market the most secure anchor money can buy. Safety is their number one priority, both of their careers involve making people safe. As you might have read on the Mantus website, Greg hatched the idea for a better anchor when he had drug anchor one night.
I can also say that Greg and Deneen have the highest of integrity. And although Mantus is a business and a profit is expected, that is not the driving force, making a better anchor to keep sailors safe and secure is the passion here. Anyone who has dealt with Greg or Deneen, as evidenced here in some of the posts, gets the feeling right away that they are not trying to sell you an anchor, they are selling safety.
I have no financial interest in Mantus anchors. I have watched various tests conducted and I believe it's the best setting anchor I've ever seen.
ude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 22:42   #33
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet
Re: Another anchor to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Greg (or anyone else that might plan anchor tests). Seems like all the comments and tests on new gen anchors focus in Rocna, Manson, usually Spade and Delta, and now the Mantus. One that does not usually make the lists is the Ultra anchor. I have seen some comments about observations that indicate the Ultra might be an excellent option but they are ridiculously expensive.

So, if anyone plans any new anchor tests how about adding the Ultra to the list?

PS
Disclosure, I do have a Mantus anchor, as well as a Rocna, a Fortress and a couple of old CQRs.
Will do I will though an Ultra in the mix next time!
Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 00:00   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Another anchor to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Will do I will though an Ultra in the mix next time!
Greg
The Ultra anchor looks really good -- it seems to me that the lead-ballasted tip and hollow shank approach to preventing the anchor from landing on its back, a la Spade, is a better if more expensive approach than using a roll bar.

On the other hand, it seems to me that stainless steel, besides being horrendously expensive, must have a negative influence on holding -- considering how slippery it is. It seems to me that your anchor is the last thing you want to be slippery.

The fully knock-down construction of the Mantus and its reasonable price have put it at the top of my list for a storm/spare anchor.

Look forward to seeing more testing. In my opinion, the testing should be done underwater, where the geotechnical characteristics of the soil will be different, and where the balance of anchors will be different, than in air. I am quite skeptical about the validity of these beach pulls.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 00:08   #35

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Nice video but an observation.
The mantus still dragged.

Surely that then means that the mantus may have only had a 1/2 lb advantage of holding power over the others.

Not bagging the anchor, far from it, new gen anchors are all remarkable compared to what we once used.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01   #36
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

This mantas seems to be very good, but I have 4 anchors onboard now, ones a Spade & ones a Manson Supreme, and I won’t be buying a new one unless somehow I lose one of these, But I would be very interested in the Mantas—I did just order the chain hook
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor