Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2022, 08:07   #1

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Trying to understand current at anchor in Echo Bay

We anchored yesterday on the SW side of Echo Bay, Sucia, in the San Juan Islands and this trip we're trying to find a good spot that protected from prevailing winds, swells, and current action.

Our first visit to Echo Bay we picked up a ball on the NE side of the bay and the even with little wind the current and swell action was so severe we moved ASAP to a ball near the SE shore which was more comfortable but prone to lots of spinning with the tidal action and bounce back eddies. From observing boats in the anchorage it seemed like the center of the bay was the steadiest location (but most exposed) and the SE the most protected from prevailing winds and had consistent current action (no spinning from eddies). This is our third visit to Sucia, second visit to Echo Bay.

Echo Bay has two long finger islands and on a map it looks like a hand open to the SE. We are anchored between a finger island and the SW shore of the island in a slot @ a half mile long.

I think I've figured out that when the tide is incoming the bounce-back current is most severe near shore (logical) and eddies to the sides so that anchoring where we are the current is opposite and we face the shore while the boats in the middle face the bay entrance as expected.

This morning we wake up to no wind and an outgoing tide (mid-cycle) and all the boats in the bay (on balls and anchored) are facing the entrance (opposite what I would expect) except for ours and another boat anchored on the SW side, we are both facing the inside of the bay.

OK, facing opposite tide direction is expected for us, but why are all the other boats facing the other way?

Can anyone help me understand the current action here in Echo Bay?

I'm sure understanding this location will help me understand current action at other anchorages and will help us choose a comfy spot. TIA!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 08:38   #2

Re: Trying to understand current at anchor in Echo Bay

There are current charts of much of Puget Sound etc. I'm not sure how much they show for outlying places and details inside bays like Sucia. We used to use them when racing. They are divided by tidal times.

I can't help much other than that though. The currents and reverse currents can certainly be hard to understand up here in the PNW. But a long narrow bay like that would have current running in (or out) and the water has to go back out somehow, so it likely hits the end and pushes back out along the side shore... making that area a reverse flow direction....

But if you are on a ball... why is it an issue? You aren't rocking and rolling there I don't imagine...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sucia.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	259553  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, current