Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 16:41   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Tying To The Shore - mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
So why is there a ring around the rocks? Did someone leave the bathtub plug out?

Just curious.
Do not know - probably from being permanently awash.
The tide amplitude in Aegean (Crete included) is lowest in the (generally non-tidal) Mediterranean - less than two inches.

Cheers

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 16:46   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Theres times to use full throttle. and it was when he was first coming out. I think he needed to scrape that port side rock wall at full speed.

there but for the grace of god go us all.

There must have been a really bad reason they had to go then, I can't imagine anything making me have a go at such a narrow pass in anything but flat seas and little or no wind
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 16:52   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There must have been a really bad reason they had to go then, I can't imagine anything making me have a go at such a narrow pass in anything but flat seas and little or no wind

It was a gulet so probably the reasons were: schedule, impatient charter guests and overconfidence...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 17:10   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

It was a gulet so it was a hairy chested captain trying to impress some girl.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 17:32   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

OK, then... heres a video of a boat tying to 'shore'. I don't think this guy would be on a Gulet.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 18:05   #21

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Because the book I read before coming out for my week's charter said that was what you do in Greece.

It's a few years ago now, enough that I can't remember the islands name, but it was a tiny little island somewhere near the Evia Channel, other than a small fishing village and a huge hotel/holiday resort there was nothing to see/do. By far the best anchorage was off the hotel, but during 'the season' there were swimming-buoys way out and you could barely get into the bay; we however turned up very late one afternoon at the end of September, to find that not only were the swimming buoys gone, the whole hotel had closed for the winter. We motored so far into the bay before we dropped the hook it was almost embarrassing, we were perhaps 50m from the beach in 3m of crystal clear water, over clean sand when we finally dug in the anchor. The water was like glass, the afternoon breeze long gone and the forecast was for a calm night.

Half an hour later a charter yacht motored past the bays entrance, then returned, did a couple of circles out there, went away again, then returned for a second time motored down to where we were and asked the question: "Are we allowed to anchor here? The Pilot Book says the hotel don't permit it." I explained that I'd no idea if it were 'allowed' but pointed out that since the hotel was clearly closed, there was nobody there to complain. They moved away, did a few more circles of the bay - I guess you could've comfortably got fifty yachts in the anchorage (100+ if they were all French) but there was just our 27-footer and this 38-foot Jeanneau.

They were brilliant and gave us almost an hour's entertainment as we sat with some chilled wine in the cockpit: They got the anchor to hold on the third or fourth try - the sand bottom was perfect! - about 150 -200m astern of us, then took two lines back to the rocks - all strung with fenders then they could be seen - though having anchored almost in the middle of the bay, they ran out of lines so had to strip off the genoa sheets to get enough rope to finish the task. As I said, it took them close to an hour's good drinking time to get themselves secured and there wasn't a breath of wind all night.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 00:51   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Because the book I read before coming out for my week's charter said that was what you do in Greece.
Yep, that's our feeling too. Both the Greek and Turkish Imray pilot books advise tying to the shore in most bays.
Old 27-08-2014, 00:57   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
So why is there a ring around the rocks? Did someone leave the bathtub plug out?
Water height difference seems to be caused by changes in atmospheric pressure, high pressure = lower water level, low pressure = higher level. We've spent four winters anchored in the lagoon at Spinalonga, Crete, and have seen this effect frequently with changes of weather. Some days we'd get the dinghy alongside the water tap and other says we wouldn't. We've seen a variation of up to 18 inches.
Old 28-08-2014, 23:01   #24

Boat: Many

Convention is to anchor the way everyone else is anchored. He was in the wrong. I suppose you could yell at him but that might not work. Assault rifles or grenades might be in order. Seriously, you made the right choices.

In small anchorages running a line to shore is not a bad idea. I used that method in Kythiria or Anti Kythiria. Forget which. Worked well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 23:25   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Theres times to use full throttle. and it was when he was first coming out. I think he needed to scrape that port side rock wall at full speed.

there but for the grace of god go us all.
Not much of a channel there is there? Why would he not be more aggressive in coming out of there? Bet he's done that cut numerous times, and got complacent.
Old 28-08-2014, 23:40   #26

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A**holes are the same everywhere. Sorry to hear about your experience. If you're being overrun by them, I have a Sweet rigging knife... what (animate or non) that you use it on's your business and will remain such ;-) Ditto with my other tools.

JK... well, mostly.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote