Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2022, 14:21   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Ultra Anchor Testing

I've finally gotten a new anchor chain, and got a 100 pound Ultra anchor on board to replace my worn out and rusty Spade of the same size.

I've anchored twice with it so far -- once in a familiar anchorage in the Kalmarsund of Sweden, and another time in another familiar anchorage at the tip of Öland island.

The first time, in soft mud, it didn't seem to dig in quite as sharply as the Spade, but held fine in the light conditions.

The second time, night before last, we weathered an overnight gale, and it didn't budge. I didn't sleep much.

It sure is pretty and shiny. Definite eye candy on the bow. 100 pounds of stainless steel.

The same shininess means it's easy to clean after being buried in the mud. The mud just slips off it.

Another big plus -- it seems, if anything, even better balanced than the Spade was. I don't use swivels. This anchor just flips right around and shoots straight into the roller. Even if it's been turned the wrong way around by the water flow, by motoring ahead, to clean it off.

More as experience accumulates.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 14:31   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Ultra Anchor Testing

On the recommendation of friends who had an Ultra for several years on their Moody 44, we replaced our Bruce 66 with a 35kg (76 lb) Ultra in the Spring of '21. Since then, it has drug exactly once - on a bottom labeled "hard" on the NOAA chart. There it drug until suddenly digging in, and it didn't move after that. Outside of that experience, we've anchored perhaps 80 - 90 nights from the Chesapeake to Maine (and back) with zero movement after setting. I use a Mantus swivel (which worked on the Bruce and I like it) instead of the Ultra swivel, but the anchor sits in our roller just fine.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 15:53   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've finally gotten a new anchor chain, and got a 100 pound Ultra anchor on board to replace my worn out and rusty Spade of the same size.

I've anchored twice with it so far -- once in a familiar anchorage in the Kalmarsund of Sweden, and another time in another familiar anchorage at the tip of Öland island.

The first time, in soft mud, it didn't seem to dig in quite as sharply as the Spade, but held fine in the light conditions.

The second time, night before last, we weathered an overnight gale, and it didn't budge. I didn't sleep much.

It sure is pretty and shiny. Definite eye candy on the bow. 100 pounds of stainless steel.

The same shininess means it's easy to clean after being buried in the mud. The mud just slips off it.

Another big plus -- it seems, if anything, even better balanced than the Spade was. I don't use swivels. This anchor just flips right around and shoots straight into the roller. Even if it's been turned the wrong way around by the water flow, by motoring ahead, to clean it off.

More as experience accumulates.
Just out of curiosity, did you contact spade to see if they will do anything about the worn and rusty anchor? I was told , when I bought mine, they carry a lifetime warranty.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 16:09   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Replaced our spade with an Ultra two years ago, very happy with change. Probably set it 300 times and dragged once.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 02:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you contact spade to see if they will do anything about the worn and rusty anchor? I was told , when I bought mine, they carry a lifetime warranty.

I will do so, as we retain the Spade as a spare in any case. I've used Spades since the late 90's and love them. Used Rocna and a few others at various times but always came back to Spade. We'll see if the Ultra breaks that trend.

The biggest disadvantage of Spade (maybe the only disadvantage?) is the poor galvanizing and the difficulty of regalvanizing it. From an early stage, it looks scruffy unless you are anchoring very frequently (which keeps the rust off it).

The Ultra is very similar to the Spade, but is not a direct copy. It has a somewhat thinner shank so fits a little better in the roller. It has an even sharper tip than the Spade, which might have an effect on setting behavior. It seems to be even better balanced, which is really important (and good balance is one of the key advantages of the Spade). And it sure looks great in the bow roller -- I hadn't realized how visible the anchor is and how much it affects the overall appearance of the boat.

If it's even almost as effective as the Spade, I think it may be a keeper. I will be using it over the course of the summer before I draw any conclusions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 16-07-2022, 02:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
On the recommendation of friends who had an Ultra for several years on their Moody 44, we replaced our Bruce 66 with a 35kg (76 lb) Ultra in the Spring of '21. Since then, it has drug exactly once - on a bottom labeled "hard" on the NOAA chart. There it drug until suddenly digging in, and it didn't move after that. Outside of that experience, we've anchored perhaps 80 - 90 nights from the Chesapeake to Maine (and back) with zero movement after setting. I use a Mantus swivel (which worked on the Bruce and I like it) instead of the Ultra swivel, but the anchor sits in our roller just fine.

Hartley
S/V Atsa

You might want to try it without a swivel. It's really well balanced and shouldn't need one.
Walt Whitman
Old 16-07-2022, 03:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
The Spade anchor carries a Limited* Lifetime Craftsmanship Warranty, and 6 Month Performance Warranty.
* - Damage by deformation or bending is not covered by the guarantee
- The galvanisation of the steel version must be kept in right order
- + more limitations

https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/refun...nty-policy.php

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 09:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've been anchoring almost every night for the last couple of weeks.

Still haven't formed a firm opinion.

So far definitely none of the firm jerk of the Spade when it sets. Seems to take more time and gentleness to set it even in clean sand.

Consistently fantastic balance, even better than the Spade. Today I pulled it up after being at anchor and spinning around for three days, and as soon as the anchor was out of the water, the anchor spun right around several times and stopped in the perfect position. I don't use a swivel, which would be completely superfluous with this anchor
Walt Whitman
Old 22-07-2022, 07:20   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Noted yet again today the same pattern - doesn't set aggressively, but sets with some patience. Goes extremely well into the bow roller. Seems to almost jump in all by itself.
Walt Whitman

Tags
anchor