Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 13:01   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Untangling Anchor Rodes

Point of correction. Those of us on two anchors take up a lot less room than those on single anchors, and the idea that everyone has to be on one anchor or boats will collide is silly--even if every boat is on one rode they all have different swinging circles, even if they use the identical length--unless all the boats are the same length and they've evenly spaced their anchors. Never happens! With two rodes I can adjust my position so as to not interfere with others, and to prevent problems when the wind shifts. Sure, you can plop down two anchors without thinking about these things and have a mess, just like you can have a mess with one down if you don't do it right. Two anchors, at the appropriate time, can give you more options.

But, I will say the single huge anchor on massive chain with lots of scope is the modern way, which is fine with me because I find that some tight little anchorages are less crowded than they used to be now that all these modern cruisers are anchored way out where nobody anchored before--too uncomfortable, but the only safe place to do the single anchor set.
Old 12-03-2013, 13:25   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Point of correction. Those of us on two anchors take up a lot less room than those on single anchors, and the idea that everyone has to be on one anchor or boats will collide is silly--even if every boat is on one rode they all have different swinging circles, even if they use the identical length--unless all the boats are the same length and they've evenly spaced their anchors..
Boats anchored in a similar fashion, with similar design will generally swing in union. An anchorage can be very densly packed with similar boats lying to similar ground tackle.

Once you deviate from this principal you need to allow more anchoring room. Boats anchored to multiple anchors will swing less, but paridodaxically will therefore take up more room in an anchorage ocupied boats lying on a single anchor.

It is encumbant on any boat anchoring later to ensure that will not interfere with an existing boat already anchored, but given the preponderance of lying at a single anchor a boat lying on two anchors does create some headaches for subsequent boats in locations where lying to single anchor is the norm.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:21   #33

Quote:
Boats anchored in a similar fashion, with similar design will generally swing in union. An anchorage can be very densly packed with similar boats lying to similar ground tackle.
Great idea on paper, but it isn't that way in the real world, at least where I anchor. There's a mix of big and small, power and sail, fin and full, cat, mono, and tri, and they all swing differently, are laying on different types of rodes (a lot of boats over here are on mainly rope), ride differently to any current, have different lengths out, etc. Even in the Caribbean it is a mixed bag in most cruising anchorages. Cats often swing very differently than monos--I used to own a cat. In any case, I often use two anchors to adjust things in places like that--pull my boat one way or another, or limit my swing, or stop my boat from yawing, etc.

Unfortunately, the two anchor set is not as used and practiced as it once was. I've noticed this in some current-swept anchorages of the ICW. In places where people used to use two anchors they now use a single one, meaning when the wind gets up you have to spread out a lot more, and/or there are more collisions as boats react wildly differently with wind against current. In the past, the use of the Bahamian moor kept things under control. Sure, the anchors aren't dragging, but there are other problems.
Old 12-03-2013, 16:02   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
To answer the OP's question the best way to untangle them is to get into your dink and push the big boat round and round. Make sure you are pushing it the right way or you will just add another twist in the rodes. You should do this every morning so as to not get too many twists in the lines. This is from the olden days when we often used two anchors.
  1. Way too embarassing. Or was this an inside joke I missed?
  2. Not much fun when the breeze has come up in an exposed anchorage.
  3. Even less fun when dragging.
If this will work, you didn't need 2 anchors. Sorry if this seems harsh, but I'm not seeing the logic.
Old 13-03-2013, 03:33   #35

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
  1. Way too embarassing. Or was this an inside joke I missed?
  2. Not much fun when the breeze has come up in an exposed anchorage.
  3. Even less fun when dragging.
If this will work, you didn't need 2 anchors. Sorry if this seems harsh, but I'm not seeing the logic.

Not a joke. Many cruisers used to use this technique in the days when using two anchors was common practice. If you read the post you would see it should be done every morning, eliminating the twists and if it's blowing enough for dragging you should not have any twists in the rode. As for being embarrassing, anyone who has cruised would not be embarrassed, having done many other sillier things while wearing even sillier clothes and being stared at by well dressed folks walking along the promenade.
Old 14-03-2013, 14:35   #36

One thing I have thought about a bit, but have never tried, is to create a two-anchor set under the water. It might be useful in clear and warm tropical areas with depths where you could easily snorkel down to hook it up, like in the Bahamas or parts of Florida. You'd have your main anchor's chain end maybe 50 feet from the anchor with a shackle, that connects to a big swivel, that in turn connects to the rest of the chain with a shackle. You'd have to be able to get that section over the windlass, which would rule it out on some boats. When you wanted a second anchor, either out in a V or in a Bahamian moor configuration. You would dump over your second anchor that might be something light like a Fortress with only a short bit of chain and maybe 50 feet of rode and some sort of shackle you could do easily underwater. Clip it to the big swivel already down there, and then set the anchor by hand. Since I dive on my anchor anyway when in warm and clear water, it would be pretty easy and quick to set up, and I don't think it could tangle. You might also be able to do this by just using a rolling hitch to tie the second anchor onto the main chain.

Obviously, this system would only work in some areas.
Old 14-03-2013, 15:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
As for being embarrassing, anyone who has cruised would not be embarrassed, having done many other sillier things while wearing even sillier clothes and being stared at by well dressed folks walking along the promenade.
Too true. Though I haven't cruised the world, the truth is evident .

I remember my first cruising experience, tent on deck and clothes pined to the rigging, with a 125-foot super yacht tied up behind me. Cruisers should never embarrass easily!
Old 14-03-2013, 15:20   #38

Quote:
One thing I have thought about a bit, but have never tried, is to create a two-anchor set under the water. It might be useful in clear and warm tropical areas with depths where you could easily snorkel down to hook it up, like in the Bahamas or parts of Florida. You'd have your main anchor's chain end maybe 50 feet from the anchor with a shackle, that connects to a big swivel, that in turn connects to the rest of the chain with a shackle. You'd have to be able to get that section over the windlass, which would rule it out on some boats. When you wanted a second anchor, either out in a V or in a Bahamian moor configuration. You would dump over your second anchor that might be something light like a Fortress with only a short bit of chain and maybe 50 feet of rode and some sort of shackle you could do easily underwater. Clip it to the big swivel already down there, and then set the anchor by hand. Since I dive on my anchor anyway when in warm and clear water, it would be pretty easy and quick to set up, and I don't think it could tangle. You might also be able to do this by just using a rolling hitch to tie the second anchor onto the main chain.

Exactly. However, a swivle isn't really needed; if staying only a few days, simply attaching the 2 a few feet down does the trick, the chain absorbing the twist.

Many variations.
Old 14-03-2013, 15:36   #39

Quote:
One thing I have thought about a bit, but have never tried, is to create a two-anchor set under the water. ...
If going to that much trouble, I think it would often be worth going for three ... as in post #4

Three anchors definitely offers attractions for a long-term stay.

With two anchors, if they're in opposition, you might overload them with a wind blowing across their axis; if they're in a Vee, you have the problem of them resetting with a reversal of wind direction
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 13:30   #40

Boat: Seafarer36c

This thing with using 3 anchors sounds secure but if 1 anchor drags you are probably worse off than using 1 or 2. In a perfect world you could have 3 anchors that were the same, set the same etc.. but not likely. More so probably, 3 completly different anchors
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 13:41   #41

As I have written earlier, better to anchor your boat so that you don't drag in the first place than to worry about what might happen if you do drag. I have used two anchor sets a lot, and I don't believe I have ever dragged when on two. I have used three for tropical storms and hurricanes, and have not dragged. So I suppose one could speculate there is a chance for them to tangle, but if you are dragging two or more anchors I doubt one would be holding you anyway and in that much wind getting any anchor up and getting underway would be extremely difficult and dangerous. The idea of putting one massive anchor out on a lot of rode is great in theory, but that requires a very large area without other boats, docks, etc. around for you to swing into. Chances are such a large area would not have as much shelter as if you were up some tight little creek or river.
Old 15-03-2013, 13:46   #42

Guy

That's a good point, but given that you can set and test each anchor against two others, it should be possible to preapply a higher load to each anchor than they are likely to see from wind loads. (And to rinse and repeat, if necessary moving individual anchors and/or changing the type until you get three good sets.)

And given that each anchor can only receive load from one direction, it seems to me that the resulting 'freedom from surprises' is probably about as good as it's possible to get from any solution based on anchors.

That's a lot of work, for sure, but so is building a replacement boat ....
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor