Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 18:27   #76

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Upgrading to a Smaller Anchor

I love my Fortress 10 pounder. Wish it would reset reliably in wind changes. I dont even weight it down with chain. I might just remove to 10' of 5/16 chain from the Rocna 15 kg and call it good.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 18:28   #77

Boat: Rafiki 37

Anchor manufacturer's sizing charts are a general tool at best. Most offer recommendations based solely on boat length. The better ones incorporate mass, but it's still a generalization.
Old 12-09-2020, 18:29   #78

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
One size too small, not 2 sizes.
If you only plan for 50 kt wind. If you want it loaded for bear, two sizes too small. Some even argue for hurricane size anchors.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 18:33   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This^^^ Thnx Brian.

But too small for what? I used the Rocna charts that came in the packing with the anchor that stated the pounds of pull or whatever the right term is, and, per my link, sized my SYSTEM accordingly.
I think you sized it appropriately for your situation - coastal cruising in waters that are protected for the most part. And seeing as you do not have a windlass it makes more sense.

Every situation is different - whether it be boat, owner/crew, location and even season.

My case is a bit different. 27' boat, displacement 6200 lbs stated but reported heavier. Add what I have aboard and maybe quite a bit heavier.
Rocna 15, 250' of 1/4" G4 chain, and an electric windlass. My plans are to sail south to Mexico next year, and probably beyond. Actually also have a 33lb Bruce, 25 lb Danforth and a 25 lb CQR I've had for years. Probably leave one behind - the CQR. Also a secondary rode of 5/16 chain with nylon in the bow chain locker, ready to go. The 250' of chain resides under the V-berth as the windlass is a few feet aft of the bow.

And no, I wouldn't consider down-sizing.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 07:32   #80

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

After almost 50 years of cruising and weathering more than a few storms, the following advice is offered: Know the bottom and if your anchor will work in it and use enough scope. 2:1 in mud during calm conditions for a lunch stop may be fine but let the wind kick up and you might be in trouble. Is your selected overnight spot susceptible to wind, current, or tidal direction change? If so, be aware that some anchors handle a directional change well while others may tend to release and not reset consistently.

As to going lighter, why would you want to do that? If your boat is rigged for a certain size, what advantage are you seeking? If you frequently stop for a swim, lunch, or just for a break and feel that the main anchor is cumbersome under calm daytime conditions, buy a lightweight lunch hook for those brief stops.
A cheaper, lighter, easier to handle anchor might seem logical until a nasty blow hits at 2 am, the visibility is about zero, and your anchor drag alarm sounds. Then you wish you had kept the old larger anchor, but it's too late. Stay safe with the larger anchor.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 08:01   #81

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
...As to going lighter, why would you want to do that?...
Mr Mathis, certainly a heavier anchor holds better and offers more security than a lighter anchor. How much extra security one needs to feel safe is a personal choice.

But what surprises me is that several commenters, yourself included, just don't even seem to register the OP's reasoning which he gave and which several of us have repeated: Lightness, overall, in a boat, is itself an advantage. That is what he seeks.

You might disagree, and that is fine, but I don't get how people can read that someone seeks to keep their boat light and therefore is considering a smaller anchor then you still ask the question, "why would you want to do that?"
Old 13-09-2020, 08:08   #82

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Lightness makes sense without a windlass. In an absolute sense, I'd rather carry 20 lbs more anchor and find 20 lbs of other stuff to remove / lighten / redistribute unless we're talking about a lightweight race boat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 20:59   #83

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have a confession to make. I downsized this summer. OK, there, I said it. But in my case with Danforths, and probably true of Fortress, they don't drag, once set. OK I know, I know... someone will say they have, but I will bet good money that once set, in sand or mud anyway, with proper scope, and not fouled, a Danforth will break before it drags. I once had a 5lb buried so deep I could not retrieve it. In the process of trying to, it broke. I have a 20H for my boat and I am pretty sure the deck will rip off and the chain will part before that anchor drags. The 12H being a bit easier to manage, I used it all summer (bow and stern) but I keep the 20H at the ready.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 21:10   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I have a confession to make. I downsized this summer. OK, there, I said it. But in my case with Danforths, and probably true of Fortress, they don't drag, once set. OK I know, I know... someone will say they have, but I will bet good money that once set, in sand or mud anyway, with proper scope, and not fouled, a Danforth will break before it drags. I once had a 5lb buried so deep I could not retrieve it. In the process of trying to, it broke. I have a 20H for my boat and I am pretty sure the deck will rip off and the chain will part before that anchor drags. The 12H being a bit easier to manage, I used it all summer (bow and stern) but I keep the 20H at the ready.
OMG Don C L, You are hereby expelled and excommunicated from the cruiser's forum on the basis that you don't accept the common knowledge that only new technology anchors will work and are safe enough to let you sleep at night, and they must be two sizes larger than recommended.

Until you see the error of your ways and show remorse we will all shun you for being an ignorant cretin.
Old 13-09-2020, 21:11   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
OMG Don C L, You are hereby expelled and excommunicated from the cruiser's forum on the basis that you don't accept the common knowledge that only new technology anchors will work and are safe enough to let you sleep at night, and they must be two sizes larger than recommended.

Until you see the error of your ways and show remorse we will all shun you for being an ignorant cretin.
I am ashamed

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-09-2020, 21:18   #86

Quote:

Ah yes... something that exactly no one has said.
Old 13-09-2020, 21:31   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ah yes... something that exactly no one has said.
Oh! My mistake, Don CL. You're back in.
Old 13-09-2020, 21:38   #88

Quote:

There you go .
Old 13-09-2020, 21:41   #89

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Getting back to the initial question, opting to go down a size with a new generation anchor.

That might be fine for normal use. The old timers would recommend carrying a big assed Luke in the bilge for when you really need a serious anchor. I was gifted a big assed stockless anchor a very long time ago and it rides in the bilge of every serious boat I've owned. Only deployed it in anger once, glad to have it.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 21:45   #90

Quote:
Woo hoo!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
anchor