Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2022, 17:25   #181

Re: Upsizing anchor - suggestions?

Old School. 32ft Steel Pugh. 8.3ton on crane scales, loaded. 17yrs,ish.
If I'm just dropping the pick for "whatever" and awake. Just drop a 35lb CQR,Swivel 50mtrs of 5/16th short link, then 120m of 1-1/4 Nylon 8 plait on end.. That holds in 94% of ground around Australia/Tassie.
I pour extra lead in tips of CQR types too. Helps them dig in.
Going to sleep.. I drop a 82lb Admiralty Pick with oversized tips. swivel. 40ft 3/8 short. swivel, Dig it in. then set the prev pick behind it. Sleep comfortably.
I carry another CQR Copy/swivel/Chain/rope on Port side bow to Deck winch too.
ALso. as a "brake" I carry a 30lb Danforth,swivel, 50ft 5/16th short link on a sternrail mounted spool of 100mtrs of Nylon for it's stretch, After snapping Silver rope twice over the yrs.
My last 40ish yrs of sailing have been mainly Coastal Aust/Tassie/N.Z.
Lots of shipping lanes and river run offs (Flooding. ='s Shipping containers and big trees mainly just below surface. Single Hander. When sleeping Furuno Radar always on Standby Alert plus Sounder. I love these modern electronics. I was brought up on a slide rule. sextant and good watch, Iffy at best. Then Calculators with programs WOW. Sat,Nav. Double wow. (When they were turned on)and GPS.
You lot don't know how lucky you are. I learned to Navigate on a North Sea Trawler at 13 yrs of age with Mates dad (skipper, me Deckie) in the mid '50's.

All these modern fancy anchors. Always set up a back up system on deck and have a doubler Admiralty on short chain to clip on head of current use pick if weather not to your liking. It's a lot easier to pull up and separate a double pick rig. Than to get a tow off the rocks or beach.
NEVER.... RELY ON ONLY ONE PICK/TYPE OR CHAIN..ALWAYS have a backup.

IF anything untowards ever happens near the coast or ANY hard stuff. Sails/Motor
/Steering.
First thing to do is drop ALL your anchoring gear shackled firmly to stemhead/Capstan Post. If you drifting etc towards any nasty. That "should" pull you up and hold you be4 you connect, while you fix or radio. Shallow water different.
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor