Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 10:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36cc
Upsizing the Fortress for spare anchor

Hello everyone, new to the forum here but been search and reading through post for a while.

Im looking to buy a Fortress anchor as my spare anchor, my boat is a Beneteau 36cc. Per Fortress recommendation for a 36 feet on their website they state that the FX-16 is good for 33 to 38 feet. Knowing that my boat has more windage due to being a center cockpit and having solar panels to name few things hanging out, Id like to know if I should go with the FX-23.

My main anchor which is already oversized, went from a 15kg Rocna to a 25kg should be enough for most situations. The Fortress would be used as a spare, stern anchoring when required, and or Bahamian mooring.

(For my main anchor the difference between a 15kg and 20kg wasn’t enough to justify an upgrade, but seems much more of a jump from 20kg to 25kg for some reason on Rocna anchors)
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:47   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Upsizing the Fortress for spare anchor

I'd personally go with the FX-23. It certainly doesn't strike me as oversized for that boat, especially if you might want to use it as an alternative anchor for high winds in soft mud. If it's just going to be a stern anchor or a kedge, the FX-16 will do just fine.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Good answer from rslifkin. Having too much anchor is bunches better than not enough.
Old 14-09-2020, 11:45   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The FX-16 is plenty big. If you don't plan on storing it unassembled make sure it will fit where you want it to.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 11:58   #5

Boat: Beneteau 36cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The FX-16 is plenty big. If you don't plan on storing it unassembled make sure it will fit where you want it to.
This anchor would be left assembled for easy access, its a bit why Im hesitating between the 16 and 23, the 16 would be easier to keep ready and out of the way as its smaller
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 11:59   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I also use a 25 kg Rocna as my main bower anchor. I have a Fortress FX-37 as my storm anchor, but I can also use it as an additional kedge anchor or as a secondary anchor if needed. This anchor is stored disassembled.

I chose this size based on the principle that it is the largest one I can manage without herculean effort. But it is quite large. For a simple spare, I'd probably go with the FX-23.
Old 14-09-2020, 12:43   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Well I have an FX16 on my 35' cat. It doesn't even work well a stern anchor, so I can't imagine it on the bow.

I've dragged it up and reset about 5 times now in the bay I'm in. My Rocna 25kg on the bow doesn't budge, but the FX16 can be dragged by hand, that's how bad it is on the sea bed here, which is mud with with some weed growth.

the only 2 times in three years that it has felt like it set as I wanted was 1) in Abeleke where it turned out it was stuck under a fishing net 2) and Port Adriano, where it was stuck under a rock.

My 2kg dinghy anchor works better than the Fortress so far.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 14:45   #8

I have a FX-16 that I used for a while on my Bristol 35.5. (16,000 lbs) Once set it will hold in anything as log as the wind doesn't change direction. It won't set in grass or if the boat is moving too fast when deployed. It won't reliably reset in wind shifts. It fouls easily with sticks, rocks, shells, oysters, etc. Other than that it's great. I use a Rocna 15 kg now. I doubt a bigger Fortress would help.
Old 14-09-2020, 15:23   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I have a FX-16 that I used for a while on my Bristol 35.5. (16,000 lbs) Once set it will hold in anything as log as the wind doesn't change direction. It won't set in grass or if the boat is moving too fast when deployed. It won't reliably reset in wind shifts. It fouls easily with sticks, rocks, shells, oysters, etc. Other than that it's great. I use a Rocna 15 kg now. I doubt a bigger Fortress would help.

A bigger Fortress wouldn't help with the failure to reset unless you manage to bury it deeper than the small one (unlikely). It probably wouldn't do better in grass either. But it would take a bigger stick, rock, etc. to foul the larger anchor to the same degree of impeding function, so you'd gain some advantage there. But those limitations are exactly why most don't use a Fortress as a primary anchor. It's really good at what it does well, but it's not as versatile as many other types.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 16:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
A bigger Fortress wouldn't help with the failure to reset unless you manage to bury it deeper than the small one (unlikely). It probably wouldn't do better in grass either. But it would take a bigger stick, rock, etc. to foul the larger anchor to the same degree of impeding function, so you'd gain some advantage there. But those limitations are exactly why most don't use a Fortress as a primary anchor. It's really good at what it does well, but it's not as versatile as many other types.
Yes, agreed.
Old 14-09-2020, 19:28   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post
The Fortress would be used as a spare, stern anchoring when required, and or Bahamian mooring.

Depends on your which of your goals matter most. As a kedge, stern anchor, and second anchor for those rare occasions when a Bahamian moor is appropriate, the FX-16 will be fine and perhaps an FX-11 would be enough. Most authorities would recommend a rope rode, or a part-chain rode with minimal chain.

As a spare to replace your primary anchor should it be lost, you would want the larger FX-23, or perhaps another Rocna if you have room. Much depends on where you plan to go and how much you plan to anchor; in many places you can buy an anchor if necessary.

You may decide that you need three anchors and rodes, not two; a bower, a kedge, and a spare.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:43   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
As a spare to replace your primary anchor should it be lost, you would want the larger FX-23, or perhaps another Rocna if you have room. Much depends on where you plan to go and how much you plan to anchor; in many places you can buy an anchor if necessary.
Well said. I've tried to respond to the OP's narrow question, but honestly, if I were choosing a new spare anchor I'd probably pick a Mantus, or a Spade (if I could afford one). They both break down so can be stored below. Either would be a better choice as a bower than a Fortress (in my opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
You may decide that you need three anchors and rodes, not two; a bower, a kedge, and a spare.
I carry four anchors, and three independent rodes .
Old 15-09-2020, 09:58   #13

Boat: Pearson

yes the 23
Old 15-09-2020, 10:24   #14

Interesting that most manufacturers merely provide recommendations based on boat length, and not boat type/potential windage. I wonder if there are any validated tests of the linear pull of various sail and powerboat configurations?
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 11:33   #15

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

Usually we use the Fortress as a lunch hook, which has not been much of a test. We keep it on the stern rail ready for quick deployment.

We gained a lot of confidence in our FX 16 this spring when we ducked in to Cedar Keys to escape weather on our way from Dunedin to St. Marks. Strong tides and opposing winds made for a challenge. Our Ultra held great as usual, and we used the Fortress as second Bahama configuration. It set and held fast, came up clean.

If I found a FX 23 a decent pice, we'd upsize; 'cause bigger is better when you need it.

BTW - Just to keep things interesting, the windlass picked this time to go on strike. But we've all had to haul the rode manually.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fortress