Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2022, 09:26   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Using a ball weight on the anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Of course there is a wide range of conditions where these are beneficial, incl. 30+ kts of wind conditions. But even then, setting 10kg more in chain scope is better than adding a 10kg kellet.
Actually that's the best time to use one, as it helps dampen the sudden tugs which could possibly pop the anchor out if not set properly. Unless you dive your's and other anchors a lot you'll see that most aren't dug in properly.

2 instances where I found the pellet to be real beneficial is in big swings of the wind and in cramped anchoring locations. It really helps in allowing the anchor to turn when the wind does 180's etc. just before a change in weather and blows. In limited space anchoring it really helps. Of course in real heavy blows the more the chain the better, or better yet another anchor.
The OP stated heavy winds, but how heavy? Why not put it out, can't hurt!
When you let out more chain, at equal weight to the kellet, you not only equal the weight but you also increase the scope and catenary, providing more benefit than the kellet I think.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 10:33   #17

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

I haven’t had the chance to try it out yet but we’ve been having 45+ gusts the last two days, sustained in the upper 30s. So far, thing seem to be holding up alright. Coming from a 3.5 ton boat, the jerking of the 13T boat is minimal, interesting to experience.
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 12:05   #18

Boat: Caliber 40

Just my personal experience!

Anchored in 12' of water over sandy bottom in Sea of Cortez with all chain attached to Spade 66 anchor. Wind offshore at 25-knots gusting to 40 or so (the infamous Elephante wind that blows hot and strong down out of the mountains in the central Baja Mexico penniusula).

I had 75' of chain out with a 30-pound weight attached 30' feet from the anchor shank.

Swam out to the kellet with my snorkel and fins - the water was crystal clear so could easily watch the chain. As the big gusts hit - the boat (Caliber 40 cutter) would surge astern and the chain start to lift off the bottom. A few times the chain between the kellet and the bow lifted but the kellet never came off the bottom. It seemed to really hold the chain down and prevented the anchor from ever feeling the surge caused by the big gusts.

On the other hand - I anchored in similar situations with much stronger elephante winds (one day it went from calm and 95°F to 55-knot gusts and 108°F in 30-minutes) with no anchor chain weight. I just increased the scope from 6:1 to 10:1 and had no problem with the anchor feeling the surge.

My opinion is that a kellet is only useful in situations where increasing the scope is not practical or safe. I have used a kellett many times but mainly out of curiosity rather than necessity.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 15:58   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Good analyisis:
https://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/kellets.php
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 19:19   #20

Boat: C&C

"When you let out more chain, at equal weight to the kellet, you not only equal the weight but you also increase the scope and catenary, providing more benefit than the kellet I think."

__________________Ah yes, the "catenary" of the chain, exactly the word I was looking for as that is what the kellet increases and therefor can be effective in helping hold an anchor. Thanks for finally agreeing with those of us that know and understand it's use. May the "force of the kellet" be with you and the increased catenary of your rode.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 19:49   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
__________________Ah yes, the "catenary" of the chain, exactly the word I was looking for as that is what the kellet increases and therefor can be effective in helping hold an anchor. Thanks for finally agreeing with those of us that know and understand it's use. May the "force of the kellet" be with you and the increased catenary of your rode.
No a kellet does not "increase the catenary of a chain", it just changes the shape.

By definition, when you distort the shape of a hanging chain by hanging a weight at a point on it, you no longer have a catenary at all .

"Catenary: The curve a hanging flexible wire or chain assumes when supported at its ends and acted upon by a uniform gravitational force."
Old 15-07-2022, 20:02   #22

Set the Kellet at half the depth for maximum performance. If there is a blow coming, put out all your chain and the Kellet. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 20:27   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
Set the Kellet at half the depth for maximum performance. If there is a blow coming, put out all your chain and the Kellet. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

All your chain? Even if you have 200m of chain in 10m of water? The other boats in the anchorage will love you
Old 15-07-2022, 20:48   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

Why carry around a big chunk of metal of limited use when you can carry a second (or third or fourth) anchor and seventy five yards of nylon rode to provide the security of redundancy?
Old 15-07-2022, 20:53   #25

It's not going to do much good sitting in the locker. No mention of being anchored in close proximity to other boats but as a competent captain I am sure you would take that into consideration and act accordingly.
Old 15-07-2022, 20:59   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's possibly worth noting that the OP's 10kg ball is the same weight as a bit less than 5 metres of 3/8" (10mm) chain or 3 metres of 1/2" (13mm) chain and if you do the math, it will do no more than letting out that much additional chain.
Old 15-07-2022, 21:00   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's not going to do much good sitting in the locker.
So sell it to a scrap merchant and get some real value out of it
Old 15-07-2022, 21:11   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Set the Kellet at half the depth for maximum performance.

Interesting, I'll take Peter Smith's ( link above) advice were I to actually bother with one, since he has actually done the testing. He totally disagrees with you

To achieve the supposed increased anchor performance already dismissed, the kellet should be placed as close to the anchor as possible. This is so its weight exerts the maximum leverage on the rode. It pays to note that a kellet is not a point on a graph, but a physical object which hangs below the rode. Therefore, it cannot be placed directly next to the anchor, otherwise it will simply rest on the bottom and its weight will have no effect.
To provide the best shock absorption, the kellet should be placed halfway along the rode. (Shock absorption is a point not elaborated on above, as it is closely related to the idea of increasing anchor performance). Since one may wish to both increase one’s holding power and benefit from shock absorption, one could compromise and place the kellet one quarter along the rode from the anchor. Neither is ideal, as, like the lowered pull angle, this quasi “spring” disappears in bad conditions when it is most needed.
To minimize swinging radius, the kellet should be positioned down the rode from the boat a distance equal to that of the vertical distance to the seabed (depth plus height to bow-roller). This allows the kellet to remove as much slack from the rode as possible in light conditions. (Nb. while effective in light conditions, this technique is questionable in any case; if the anchorage is empty, swing radius is unlikely to be important, whereas if it is crowded, it is desirable to swing similarly with the other boats).
Old 15-07-2022, 21:29   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I am convinced my method saved me a couple of times.
I only use this in extreme conditions.

Tandem anchor - the second anchor is my kellet.
I also use snubbers on each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	261063  
Old 15-07-2022, 23:58   #30

Also a very system when used on cyclone mooring although the Kellet is quite a bit heavier. Don't underestimate the benefit of the shock absorbing capacity.

Tags
anchor