Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2024, 12:29   #1

Boat: Hunter 41
Using an Anchor Buoy in a Tight Anchorage?

I know many (most?) boaters do NOT use an anchor buoy. I rarely have.

However, several times, in a tight anchorage, I have had people anchor seemingly where their boat sits right over where my anchor lies. In case of emergency, I would not be able to pull anchor without the other boat moving.

Of course, this is judged by appearance only, since its hard to know exactly where your anchor is without a buoy.

Once, when I knew I would be pulling anchor in the morning, I approached a large boat that appeared to be right over my anchor. The owner was polite, and said he'd be leaving before me in the morning--did I really need him ro re-anchor? I let him be, he was gone in the morning, no problem.

My hesitancy to use an anchor buoy in a tight anchorage is the possibliity of somone catching the buoy in their prop, creating a problem for both of us. People sometimes don't see a crab pot, and may not see an anchor buoy, particularly if anchoring after dark.

So, what's the consensus of the forum? Is it bad form to use an anchor buoy in a tight anchorage (assume a popular but small anchorage on the ICW) because it is an additional hazard for tangling?

Or is it a polite and safe thing to do, because it lets other boaters know where your anchor is, and helps them avoid crossing your anchor chain, for example?
Dave_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 12:42   #2

Re: Using an Anchor Buoy in a Tight Anchorage?

I normally wouldn't. If I need to leave every time the boat has not been over my anchor. The thing is, the offending boat has 360 degrees of possible locations in it's swing, and your anchor is at only 5 degrees of that swing.
Of course it's not that simple because of prevailing winds. But it's pretty easy to get someone to nudge over to leave and even if he's close to the spot, boats most often swing a bit. Put a fender on your bow his side. It's harder for you to leave with your anchor bouy line around his prop shaft ......
A tight anchorage with a multitude of anchor bouys could be an issue with boats swinging.

Nothing I dislike more than going into an anchorage and one of eight boats has his anchor bouy obstructing boats from anchoring when room is tight.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 14:02   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post

Or is it a polite and safe thing to do, because it lets other boaters know where your anchor is, and helps them avoid crossing your anchor chain, for example?
the other boaters will HATE you (at least I would)

now they have to worry about getting tangled in your damn anchor buoy and you have claimed more space
Old 05-07-2024, 14:14   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The way I see it, anchoring in crowded places is like going to a party. If you are not ready for noise and a new set of rules, don't go. I don't like crowds, but if I chose to anchor there, I understand I need to accept the compromises.

• Someone will swing over my anchor. No markers unless you want your anchor dragged off. Hope no one else does.
  • Multiple boats will overlap my swing circle. Some will have very long scope.
  • I will likely need to hang fenders. Just in case.
  • If storms are predicted you may need to leave fast or even slip your anchor. Someone may drag. Make sure you know how to leave without stress, if you can in the dark. Or is it safer to take your licks?
  • And keep your motor down at the dinghy dock.
In theory first-in has rights. In practice, you are likely to bump shoulders.
Old 05-07-2024, 15:00   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Is there something to discuss?? Don’t
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 15:07   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

When deploying an anchor buoy, you restrict the area available for other boats and create a hazard for boats entering, particularly after dark. Therefore, deploying an anchor buoy, especially in a crowded anchorage, is often considered "rude" or "inconsiderate".

There are some conditions where an anchor buoy is sensible and therefore acceptable. Mostly these centre around conditions where the anchor has a high chance of becoming fouled, such as areas with old abandoned mooring chains.

Reserve anchor buoys for unusual conditions and you will have few objections from fellow yachts.
Old 05-07-2024, 15:35   #7

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I understand that it's annoying to some, but if anchoring in a rocky place and deeper than what I can freedive, I do deploy a buoy. A new anchor and chain is far to expensive not to.

Might be selfish, but it's not worth the risk not to.
Old 05-07-2024, 17:32   #8

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Last year I anchored in False Creek, Vancouver BC, had another boat set his anchor where he was basicly right over the top of mine, I could not pull anchor without hitting him.

There is a permitting system in there where you get a 2 week free but non extendable permit to anchor.

I needed to leave, I called the office and informed them of the issue, they called the man, he explained that he would not be able to come move the boat until the next evening when he got off work.

The next evening came and went, the following morning I called the office and asked them to pass on the message that if he was not there by 10am to move the boat I was going to pull anchor and if his boat was in the way I was simply going to ram it out of mine.

He was there within 15 minutes.

Some people have no courtesy for others.

I think a buoy is a good idea, I think I am going to get one to rig up and have a vinyl shop put the boat name on it making it clear who it belongs to.
Old 05-07-2024, 18:27   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I have used buoys in the past but not for this purpose. If someone is on top of my anchor and they are not aboard and I have to go, I'll get out the fenders and push them out of the way. BUT if my anchor is ahead of the other I have an added complication. But a buoy would not have been the solution IMO. Communication with the other boater is. I think buoys probably cause more problems than they solve. THAT being said, I have entered anchorages where a boat had an anchor buoy deployed (and the owner was not aboard) and I was glad he did. It helped me plan and anchor knowing exactly where he was. By the way, if you are going to use one, you need to have a set-up to keep the buoy over the anchor and not trailing any loose or floating line. I have a line that goes through a block that hangs from the buoy and goes to a weight so the line is always over the anchor and the line is held straight down. In my own case I only used this for a trip line when I thought I was in a place where the anchor may get fouled. Now I run a trip line back to the boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 19:26   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

As most others have said, just don’t. It’s trying to solve a problem that mostly only exists in the overly-anxious minded. And it creates a whole lot of additional REAL problems for everyone around, as well as for the person who deploys the marker.

There are good reasons to use a marker, but this is not one of them.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 19:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I understand that it's annoying to some, but if anchoring in a rocky place and deeper than what I can freedive, I do deploy a buoy. A new anchor and chain is far to expensive not to.

Might be selfish, but it's not worth the risk not to.
This is a different situation and a valid use, especially in areas where your anchor could easily lodge under a ledge. But still not in a tight anchorage.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 22:11   #12

Boat: Custom 55

Agree with the others, not a good thing to do. On a couple of occasions, I've rigged a trip line in a rocky anchorage, and to do that, you can take some small line to lash the line at intervals to the chain on the way out, that way, you can still trip your anchor, and everything's all on one rode.

All the best.
Old 05-07-2024, 22:49   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Agree with the others, not a good thing to do. On a couple of occasions, I've rigged a trip line in a rocky anchorage, and to do that, you can take some small line to lash the line at intervals to the chain on the way out, that way, you can still trip your anchor, and everything's all on one rode.

All the best.

That's a good idea, with a chance of working if it does not get twisted around the chain.

Fun fact is that it comes from SV rocket science.
Old 06-07-2024, 00:09   #14

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah I have used buoys in the past but not for this purpose. If someone is on top of my anchor and they are not aboard and I have to go, I'll get out the fenders and push them out of the way. BUT if my anchor is ahead of the other I have an added complication. But a buoy would not have been the solution IMO. Communication with the other boater is. I think buoys probably cause more problems than they solve. THAT being said, I have entered anchorages where a boat had an anchor buoy deployed (and the owner was not aboard) and I was glad he did. It helped me plan and anchor knowing exactly where he was. By the way, if you are going to use one, you need to have a set-up to keep the buoy over the anchor and not trailing any loose or floating line. I have a line that goes through a block that hangs from the buoy and goes to a weight so the line is always over the anchor and the line is held straight down. In my own case I only used this for a trip line when I thought I was in a place where the anchor may get fouled. Now I run a trip line back to the boat.

I like the trip line idea, Lost my anchor in northern BC last year, a trip line might have saved it.
Old 06-07-2024, 03:29   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

With 100' of rode out and a 40' boat, ones anchor can be anywhere within a 280' circle.
I have seen the tangled anchor mess... Seems wise to know where it is.

Tags
anchor