Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2024, 09:00   #31

Re: Using an Anchor Buoy in a Tight Anchorage?

I wonder if this will catch on: https://www.visionanchor.net/

I doubt many will want a $1K anchor alarm that has all the problems already mentioned.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 09:14   #32

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Maybe in the future we can create a virtual AIS ATON to mark our anchor location.

Obviously that would require people to actually use it correctly. From what I've seen on AIS today I'm not sure that's possible. 30-foot boats showing as 30 meters, cargo ships steaming along at 20 knots with their AIS signals showing "at anchor," etc.

Still, an interesting concept. Wouldn't it be great if we could see other vessels' anchor location, and while we're at it, swing circle, on the chart?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 09:36   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Still, an interesting concept. Wouldn't it be great if we could see other vessels' anchor location, and while we're at it, swing circle, on the chart?
You can already see the swing circle of any boat that leaves its AIS on at anchor. It is one of the useful tools that shows if a boat is dragging.

From the swing circle you can also reasonably reliably deduce the position of the anchor.
Old 12-07-2024, 09:59   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390

Hi from Greece: With all the respect to the opinions seen before, the anchor buoy is particulary useful in tight and crowded anchorages, like here in Greece. Here are the resaons:
+ Give to newcomers and idea of where is your anchor and the scope. That is particulary useful in the usual windchanging conditions, when your bow dont show your anchor direction so far.
+ Reflecting tape in tge buoy solves the "darkness problem". Just with the navigation lights will be perfectly clear the positions
+ In the middle of the night, one of those when you have to leave asap the place because the unspected 40kn, is helpfull have a clear idea where is your anchor and who is close to it.
+ If everyone use it, everything would be much more clear.
+ And, finally, whoever consider this practice "rude" has two problems, consider it and make the digestion of it.

Be good out there...
RafaCorfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 14:20   #35

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Funny story... I usually do not put down an anchor buoy. when in Portsmouth, VA for July 4th fireworks, I put one down when I arrived a few days in advance. I expected the anchorage to get crowded and I wanted some room. No issues until about 30 min to show time when a roaming Police boat ties up to my buoy, as if it was a mooring! I walked to the bow and politely yelled over "Excuse me sir. You have tied up to my anchor buoy." After a few "what's".. He dropped it and motored away. What was he thinking tying up to something when he had no idea what was on the other end! could have been a crab trap. haha

One time I wish I had a buoyed trip line was in the Acklin Islands, Bahamas. where the flamingos are. Fluke got stuck under a ledge and we ended up bending the shank really good and in the middle of nowhere.. ugh
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 15:05   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaCorfu View Post
Hi from Greece: With all the respect to the opinions seen before, the anchor buoy is particulary useful in tight and crowded anchorages, like here in Greece. Here are the resaons:
+ Give to newcomers and idea of where is your anchor and the scope. That is particulary useful in the usual windchanging conditions, when your bow dont show your anchor direction so far.
+ Reflecting tape in tge buoy solves the "darkness problem". Just with the navigation lights will be perfectly clear the positions
+ In the middle of the night, one of those when you have to leave asap the place because the unspected 40kn, is helpfull have a clear idea where is your anchor and who is close to it.
+ If everyone use it, everything would be much more clear.
+ And, finally, whoever consider this practice "rude" has two problems, consider it and make the digestion of it.

Be good out there...

Disagree entirely, for all of the reasons well stated in different posts above.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 15:53   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Disagree entirely, for all of the reasons well stated in different posts above.
Old 12-07-2024, 15:57   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have been living on ancho in the Caribbean for eight years. There is zero justification for an anchor marker anywhere we have been. They effectively cut in half the available anchor space if everyone used one. The cannot be seen at night. Therefore, dinghy’s and yachts hit or tangle in them. When I swing into one set after we are anchored I will cut them off. I had one tangle on my prop and rudder 2 AM. It banged on the hull and we dragged the dope’s anchor all around the lagoon, Deshaise. A guy anchored in Deep Bay, Antigua for a day hop so his people could swim. He drove over the marker. His shaft wound up the marker and anchor line so the anchor was tight to the hull. He was then freely drifting all through the anchorage while ten of us controlled him with dinghies and a diver went below to cut rope.

Here is yet another dimwit with his marker against his hull.

Use one maybe epwhen alone in a messy area, deep, with trash and rocks. Don’t ever use one near other boats or in easy anchoring harbors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6909.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	292001  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 16:09   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

To me, the use of an anchor buoy in a crowded anchorage is a sign of inexperience. As I've (and most others) have said, there ARE good reasons to deploy an anchor buoy, but not for routine anchoring in established anchorages.
Old 12-07-2024, 17:22   #40

This device, though expensive, may extricate a fouled anchor without need of a buoy tied to anchor crown to be able to pull from crown rather than shank . Basically, there's a slider over your chain that can be sent down to reverse the pull direction at the anchor!

Also, If this is fitted, it is less critical to announce to other boaters, WHERE your anchor is placed, as there is a much higher chance that you can back your anchor out from most any tangle

https://www.scanmarinternational.com/anchor-rescue-store
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 17:24   #41

Pretty helpful if anchoring over old logging sites in Alaska, where bottom of bays are filled with equipment and cables to entrap anchor flukes!
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 18:34   #42

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilham View Post
This device, though expensive, may extricate a fouled anchor without need of a buoy tied to anchor crown to be able to pull from crown rather than shank . Basically, there's a slider over your chain that can be sent down to reverse the pull direction at the anchor!

Also, If this is fitted, it is less critical to announce to other boaters, WHERE your anchor is placed, as there is a much higher chance that you can back your anchor out from most any tangle

https://www.scanmarinternational.com...r-rescue-store
I'd have to see it in action on a jammed anchor. I have my doubts since there is no guarantee the slider will slide over the chain, shackle and anchor shank. Even then it is not pulling straight back on the flukes, which is probably what is needed to get out of a jam. Maybe Steve on Panope has some videos of these inaction?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 20:58   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
... Some jurisdictions prohibit it which is fine with me.

Bump.

Is this true in any jurisdiction? Posted reg?

Not sayin' good or bad, just trying to learn.
Old 12-07-2024, 22:53   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390

Great, I am at anchor, with my buoy, you arrive and drop the iron INTO my circle, and the problem is mine...? The rude one is myself...??? If you dont respect the distance is ok, but dont cry. If I need to go, and you are on top of my anchor, without buoy of course, what...???
RafaCorfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 03:29   #45

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

just to elaborate on my story further up the thread. This occurred on UA Pou in Polynesia. The anchorage there is tight and everyone has to use a stern anchor. Local custom says you mark your stern anchor, so no one else crosses your stern anchor line with their stern anchor line.
Since everyone is using bow and stern anchors - no one is swinging

Other than there, we've never used an anchor buoy and we see no reason to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor