Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 05:45   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Using an Anchor Buoy in a Tight Anchorage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
And this is why around here the custom for many years has been for everyone to set a bow and stern hook. Then there's room for more people and no crashing in the night. I really don't understand the hostility to the practice. But that is fodder for another thread perhaps...
If it's local practice and it works, why would anyone be hostile?

It's nearly always right to do what others are doing when anchoring or berthing anywhere.

I don't like being anchored fore and aft in general because I want my boat to swing with the wind and present less cross section to the wind. But if I came into your anchorage and saw all of you anchored like that, I would do it too. Otherwise I would swing differently and interfere with the rest of you.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:29   #77
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I can easily pull it apart by hand but hanks for reminding me. I have to pick up another spool

What is the purpose of the twine/float? Just to mark the anchor? Obviously not for recovery. You would still have to dive, and you could not use it to guide a diver down (it would break).

If it is one rode length in front, they already know the anchor is there. If the winds are light and it is elsewhere, they probably won't associated it with your anchor. It's a crab float.
Old Today, 07:04   #78

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What is the purpose of the twine/float? Just to mark the anchor? Obviously not for recovery. You would still have to dive, and you could not use it to guide a diver down (it would break).

If it is one rode length in front, they already know the anchor is there. If the winds are light and it is elsewhere, they probably won't associated it with your anchor. It's a crab float.

Apart from that not everyone might get what the floating milk can is...
Old Today, 07:18   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

The first part of your question is answered in Posts #50 and #55 and no I don't have to dive, that is answered in post #70

The second part of your question makes no sense, "if it is one length in front" ? ... "IF" ! You have no idea IF it's in front or besides or aft ... see posts #50 and #55 again.
Old Today, 07:33   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
The first part of your question is answered in Posts #50 and #55 and no I don't have to dive, that is answered in post #70

The second part of your question makes no sense, "if it is one length in front" ? ... "IF" ! You have no idea IF it's in front or besides or aft ... see posts #50 and #55 again.
Thinwater can speak for himself, but I would agree with him that from a slight amount of wind, the location of the anchor will be obvious (based on some assumptions about scope). I don't personally need this information from you, as I'm not going to be anchoring so close that plus or minus a boat length or so of anchor chain will make any difference.

If it's crowded and everyone needs to configure for best use of anchorage space, I'll drop my anchor in line with your stern and halfway between you and the next boat, or if it's really crowded -- last time that happened to me was in English Bay, Antigua -- then in line with your bow. So long as I have even very roughly the same amount of scope out that you do, then we will all swing just fine.

Obviously you have more confidence with boats similar to yours and with similar rode. You have to stay further away from power boats, boats on rope rode, etc. But you will see that in crowded anchorages, different boat/rode types flock together. For this reason.

In very light wind if there's no obvious position of your anchor then a floating milk jug will, indeed, look like a crab float, more than an anchor buoy. Maybe if you drew a large anchor on it with a Sharpie. But in very calm conditions you will likely drift over your own anchor at some point and you risk tangling with your own float.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:39   #81

Quote:

I read that, I just don't agree with it.

a. The string does not really help much with the ring idea. Maybe.
b. The ring won't work in many or most cases. You won't agree so we can leave that.

c. The drifting part (you say makes no sense) makes perfect sense to me and most. You just see it differently. The anchor is either where we expect it to be (some boat lengths in front of you, and if we anchored over it, that was intensional) or it is beside you (or some other place) and we're going to assume a milk jug is a trot line float and probably not worry at all about it. Certainly it is not really fishing or anchoring gear. Obviously.

That's OK, it's a forum, and you said what has worked for you.
Old Today, 07:43   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... But in very calm conditions you will likely drift over your own anchor at some point and you risk tangling with your own float.

Heck yes. For cat sailors, it is not unusual to end up anchor backwards, with the rode running between the hulls. Weird, but not that unusual. You drop one leg of the bridle and it swings out. The float line would have to slide right under one of the drives or one of the rudders or both.
Old Today, 09:03   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I read that, I just don't agree with it.

a. The string does not really help much with the ring idea. Maybe.
b. The ring won't work in many or most cases. You won't agree so we can leave that.

c. The drifting part (you say makes no sense) makes perfect sense to me and most. You just see it differently. The anchor is either where we expect it to be (some boat lengths in front of you, and if we anchored over it, that was intensional) or it is beside you (or some other place) and we're going to assume a milk jug is a trot line float and probably not worry at all about it. Certainly it is not really fishing or anchoring gear. Obviously.

That's OK, it's a forum, and you said what has worked for you.
A. The string has nothing to do with the ring. I thought that was obvious.
We attach a heavy line to it. We have successfully used it twice.

B. Assuming where an anchor is a guess at best. as proven by the photos I already posted.I prefer to minimize guess work.

C. I question the intelligence of someone who would drop an anchor on an unknown object.

Do as you will and I will do as I will. This is now getting silly so I'm out. Have a great day.
Old Today, 09:28   #84

Quote:
Heck yes. For cat sailors, it is not unusual to end up anchor backwards, with the rode running between the hulls. Weird, but not that unusual. You drop one leg of the bridle and it swings out. The float line would have to slide right under one of the drives or one of the rudders or both.
I don’t quite get how this actually occurs.

If there is little force acting on the boat the anchor rode will be hanging vertical, between the hulls someplace near the bow until it rests on the bottom. Unless you are planning to get underway it really does not matter in which direction the anchor lies.

If you do plan to get underway, slowly retrieve about a boat length of rode and the boat will likely swing around to face the anchor without the rode moving from it’s vertical orientation.

If there is significant forces acting on the boat the notion that the boat rides steady, stern to the direction of the force with the rode strung out between the hulls just seems absurd. The only instance that I can think of that this backwards anchoring could occur is if you had no forces acting on the boat and a sudden windstorm rolled in directly from astern. Even then, the chances of the boat keeping its stern to the wind long enough to draw the rode tight seems very slim when you consider the shallow draft of a cat.

As all boats are basically subjected to the same conditions this backwards anchoring should also occur to monohulls. I for one have never experienced or even seen it.

Help me learn. What conditions result in this backwards anchoring?
Putt-Putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:43   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
I don’t quite get how this actually occurs.

If there is little force acting on the boat the anchor rode will be hanging vertical, between the hulls someplace near the bow until it rests on the bottom. Unless you are planning to get underway it really does not matter in which direction the anchor lies.

If you do plan to get underway, slowly retrieve about a boat length of rode and the boat will likely swing around to face the anchor without the rode moving from it’s vertical orientation.

If there is significant forces acting on the boat the notion that the boat rides steady, stern to the direction of the force with the rode strung out between the hulls just seems absurd. The only instance that I can think of that this backwards anchoring could occur is if you had no forces acting on the boat and a sudden windstorm rolled in directly from astern. Even then, the chances of the boat keeping its stern to the wind long enough to draw the rode tight seems very slim when you consider the shallow draft of a cat.

As all boats are basically subjected to the same conditions this backwards anchoring should also occur to monohulls. I for one have never experienced or even seen it.

Help me learn. What conditions result in this backwards anchoring?

It happens. Not often, but not very rarely. It's happened to me twice. Tide reversal is the normal culprit.

A cat has widely spaced hulls. If the wind goes to zero (or the tide reverses just right) the boat moves over the anchor and comes up tight on the rode with the bridle between the hulls. Just imagine motoring straight ahead, past the anchor; on a cat, the boat will stop and the position is stable. Yes, a monohull would simply drift past the rode and snub up in the opposite direction. But a cat has a 15-25' wide target where the rode goes between the hulls. I think you will find that is more common than you imagine. No, recovering some rode will not solve the problem. And ...

You can't easily recover rode with the rode between the hulls. The angle of the chain wrapping around the roller is too great. You can't power up to the anchor as you should, without risk of hitting the rode with a prop. It's better to spin the boat, as I explained. It's easy.

This is normally more amusing than troublesome. Once, the winds were light and I didn't even notice until ready to leave. No big deal. It's never happened in a big enough wind for the forces to be large, as long as you catch it early, which you should.
Old Today, 14:55   #86

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
In places prone to wind shifts or wind from different directions on different days it doesn't work as well. Being anchored bow and stern while sideways to the wind is generally a bad situation. It's also more of a pain to set up, especially for larger boats with correspondingly bigger / heavier stern anchors.

In a place with a steady prevailing wind direction where boats will typically face the same direction then anchoring bow and stern becomes more of an option.
True. And I should add the caveat that my stern hook has about 60 feet of chain and then about 300 feet of nylon line. On those nights when I get broadsided by a breeze or tidal current I have to drag myself out of bed and take the stern rode (nylon line) and uncleat and walk it up to the bow and cleat it off up there. The boat swings to whatever in kind of a Bahamian moor and I go back to bed. If some one is near by I may have to take up the bow or stern rode to give myself space.
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor