Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2022, 17:31   #16

Re: Using dock lines for anchor bridle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
A prusik has two tails right? Did you split them and have one tail go to each hull? How does a prusik hold when only one tail is loaded at a time? I was thinking of trying a prusik on my monohull and tie the prusik in the middle of the line and have each tail go to the port and starboard bow cleats like a bridle, but I couldn't find any info on what happens when the knot is only loaded from one tail.
Now you are going to make me question if I'm calling it the right name.

I form a loop in the middle pass the loop around the rode a couple times and then pull the two tails thru the loop. Then one end to each bow.

Never had it slip and I've attached it to chain and rope rode.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 05:25   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

I form a loop in the middle pass the loop around the rode a couple times and then pull the two tails thru the loop. Then one end to each bow.

Ok, this makes sense. Seems a tad more awkward than rolling hitches. You’ve got to tail 30+ feet X 2 of line (my snubbers are 40’ each), whereas with rolling hitches I just have to manage about 3’ of line. But I get how it works now.
Old 26-08-2022, 06:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ok, this makes sense. Seems a tad more awkward than rolling hitches. You’ve got to tail 30+ feet X 2 of line (my snubbers are 40’ each), whereas with rolling hitches I just have to manage about 3’ of line. But I get how it works now.
Maybe I'm describing it wrong. It takes maybe 10 seconds to tie and with the large deck to work on, it's not awkward. Never tried it on a narrow monohull bow, so it might be more awkward there.

Sort of like this except, I don't tie the tails together:
https://www.animatedknots.com/prusik-knot

The tails only get pulled thru as the final step (not 2-3 times).
Old 26-08-2022, 06:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Sewn climbing slings will be the cheapest, easiest, and hold best for your size boat. Replace when it shows wear. The simplest way to attach them to the bridle is with a pair of wire gate climbing carabiners, gates reversed and opposed. (wire gate carabiners don't corrode up, and they are reversed and opposed because they do not lock).

No thimble needed in this application (no abrasive surfaces and the twin carabiners provide a good bearing surface).
I hate this idea. Wire gate carabiners have the lowest load rating. At least a locking carabiner can hold the carabiner together. On a wire gate, all you have is the wire and carabiner shaped like a C with a load limit of around 3,000 pounds. Even 1/2 line is around 8,600 lbs.

Also, webbing is static.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 07:44   #20

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:

ok so you take the two tails from the prusik (which normally for clmbing would be knotted to getehr to form a closed loop) and tie them to the cleats using a cleat hitch of some sort?

There is also a prusik handcuff knot which renders two loops that could be clipped etc.
Attached Images

Old 26-08-2022, 07:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
ok so you take the two tails from the prusik (which normally for clmbing would be knotted to getehr to form a closed loop) and tie them to the cleats using a cleat hitch of some sort?
Yes, cleat off the tails to the cleats on each bow.
Old 26-08-2022, 14:17   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L
Using dock lines for anchor bridle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I hate this idea. Wire gate carabiners have the lowest load rating. At least a locking carabiner can hold the carabiner together. On a wire gate, all you have is the wire and carabiner shaped like a C with a load limit of around 3,000 pounds. Even 1/2 line is around 8,600 lbs.

Also, webbing is static.

We use this method and parts, except use a soft shackle rather than hard carabiners. But I think you’re making a couple of mistakes.

The wire gate carabiners, like all climbing gear, are rated minimum 20kN - effectively breaking strength. Wire gate, locking, whatever, it doesn’t matter, all are rated at least 20kN and some up to 27kN. Using two non locking carabiners with gates opposed is a standard climbing practice when a locking carabiner isn’t available. And by using two you’ve doubled the strength so it’s more than sufficient.

The webbing loop is just to attach to the chain, the shackle/carabiners then connect the loop to the bridle eyes. We use narrow Dyneema webbing that we buy from climbing shops as it’s cheaper than making loops out of Dyneema ourselves, and fits through chain links much easier than a soft shackle.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 06:50   #23

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Yes, cleat off the tails to the cleats on each bow.
So you've never had an issue with the knot when the tails ate being loaded one at a time instead of simultaneously? Like if the the boat is sailing back and forth? Normally the tails of a prusik ate loaded together, since it is usually a closed loop. I like the idea of a knot based snubber for days when I don't want to deal with my mantus hook, but I still want to tie to both bow cleats, bridle style.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 07:28   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I frequently use dock lines as a snubber. It's surprisingly quick to use the spliced eye for a prusik even with needing to pull 30 feet of line through. If wanting a bridle, I use 2 separate lines attached next to each other on the chain.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 08:30   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Maybe I'm describing it wrong. It takes maybe 10 seconds to tie and with the large deck to work on, it's not awkward. Never tried it on a narrow monohull bow, so it might be more awkward there.

Sort of like this except, I don't tie the tails together:
https://www.animatedknots.com/prusik-knot

The tails only get pulled thru as the final step (not 2-3 times).

Thanks. I appreciate the explanation Val. I think I get it. I would still have to tail 20 to 30 feet of line X 2 wouldn't I? Probably not a big deal, but rolling hitches still seem easier to me, but I can see how it would work. Thanks.
Old 28-08-2022, 18:27   #26

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

It is also caused by wind surge too, in addition to yawing.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 08:32   #27

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Is there a guide anywhere for what size line will hold on various size chains? What's the biggest line diameter that a rolling/camel hitch will hold on 3/8"/10mm chain?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bridle, dock