Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 14:17   #181

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thanks a lot SnowP,

I am more likely to do my critical engineering calculations with a hammer but in this case, the calculator was more appropriate. Your conclusion matches my gut feeling: the 9/16" nylon would probably survive the 5 knot test, but would be pushing it a bit. If I proceed with a 5 knot test, I'll use my 5/8" rode.

Steve
Running the numbers on this, assuming my working is correct, and that's a big assumption, I get

Break load 16mm nylon 5500kg. Same stretch characteristics. Gives me approx 1700kg for 12.5% stretch with 24meters that's 3m of stretch at that load.

So we get something like

0.5*9.8*1700*3=24990 joules

Should work, but it's going to give you a potential peak load higher than the 14mm somewhere around 1.7 tonnes. Even using 50 meters of 16mm is not as good, peak load wise, as the 50 meters of 14 mm. But it is does give a better safety factor rope breaking wise.

What size and grade of chain are you running? If it's g3 10mm then WLL is about 1 tonne good to keep inside this limit if possible.
Old 23-02-2016, 16:03   #182

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I made a similar computation (was at work while Snowpetrel typed) and arrived at a similar result: 18m of 9/16" rode for 3.6kts initial speed and 34m for 5kts, neglecting the braking effect of hydrodynamic drag and assuming no thrust from the propeller, considering a linear stretch for Nylon and maximum admissible stress 30% of breaking.

If admissible stress 25% of breaking, I find 23.3m for 3.6kts.

Alain
Thanks Alain. Nice to know my crude calcs look ok. Cheers
Old 23-02-2016, 17:53   #183

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Chris,

No, its not, but let's also not forget about having a disassembled, stored below deck, at-the-ready, over-sized Fortress for deployment as the "ultimate storm anchor" when severe storm conditions are threatening!

Be safe,
Brian
Haha! Good point! That is another time that I think a Danforth style (and I think Fortress makes the ultimate Danforth syle anchor) makes sense. You have amazing ultimate holding, and are typically in a situation where you know exactly which way the wind is going to be coming from. You aren't looking at the risk of a reversal (and by the time you get a reversal, you'll be buried so deep, there's no risk of fouling).

So I think you're saying that every boat should have two Fortresses: One smaller one assembled on the rail as a kedge and stern anchor (fast deployment, easy to carry in the dinghy or even swim out being held up by a fender), and a monster one hidden disassembled in the bilge.
Old 23-02-2016, 18:56   #184

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

Running the numbers on this, assuming my working is correct, and that's a big assumption, I get

Break load 16mm nylon 5500kg. Same stretch characteristics. Gives me approx 1700kg for 12.5% stretch with 24meters that's 3m of stretch at that load.

So we get something like

0.5*9.8*1700*3=24990 joules

Should work, but it's going to give you a potential peak load higher than the 14mm somewhere around 1.7 tonnes. Even using 50 meters of 16mm is not as good, peak load wise, as the 50 meters of 14 mm. But it is does give a better safety factor rope breaking wise.

What size and grade of chain are you running? If it's g3 10mm then WLL is about 1 tonne good to keep inside this limit if possible.
Thanks again, Ben

I am using either 5/16" G4 or 3/8 BBB so we should be safe there.

I have a 3/8" "Crosby" shackle (WLL 2 ton) that fits the Fortress and the 5/16" chain perfectly, no pounding required.

Hey Brian, (Fortress Anchor Brian) if you are following this, what do you think? Will I break the FX-16 if I follow through with a 5 knot emergency stop test? Will you warranty the anchor if I do break or bend it?

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 18:59   #185

Here is the Fortress FX-16 undergoing the "Reducing Scope" test.

Steve

Video #51
Old 23-02-2016, 20:49   #186

The big Forfjord (65 pounds) with the "Deep Set" test. Except for the last moment of the test, it appeared that the anchor was going to stay put - and it probably would have had the anchor not rolled over.

Note: The pull of the anchor rode remained almost perfectly aligned with the initial setting of the anchor.

Steve

Video #52
Old 24-02-2016, 13:25   #187

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Other tests have shown that stockless pivoting-fluke anchors fail in the same way as the Forfjord: under very strong traction, they become instable and begin to roll. Then, one fluke pulls out of the bottom and the resistance falls sharply.

This was the reason for adding a stabilising fluke to the Danforth design.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 13:37   #188
Marine Service Provider

How about a test of anchors using little to no chain? Since chaffing would not be an issue as it is a short deployment , no chain on short scope would be a great test.

It would show what anchors depend on the weight of the chain to hold it in place, and what anchors use design to hold in place.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 13:42   #189
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks again, Ben

I am using either 5/16" G4 or 3/8 BBB so we should be safe there.

I have a 3/8" "Crosby" shackle (WLL 2 ton) that fits the Fortress and the 5/16" chain perfectly, no pounding required.

Hey Brian, (Fortress Anchor Brian) if you are following this, what do you think? Will I break the FX-16 if I follow through with a 5 knot emergency stop test? Will you warranty the anchor if I do break or bend it?

Steve
Give ours a shot, bent shanks are covered under the lifetime warranty. Just don't drill a hole in the shank.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 13:57   #190
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
So I think you're saying that every boat should have two Fortresses: One smaller one assembled on the rail as a kedge and stern anchor (fast deployment, easy to carry in the dinghy or even swim out being held up by a fender), and a monster one hidden disassembled in the bilge.
Chris, that is absolutely correct sir!

Quote:

Steve
Steve, interesting first question about the anchor breaking with a 5 knot emergency test. Quick story: Awhile back we were contacted by the US Navy when they were developing their Port Security Barrier System, which was basically a floating fence that could be deployed around a ship to prevent a USS Cole type of terrorist / suicide attack.

The US Navy wanted to know if the Fortress could be "shock-loaded" when anchored and withstand the force of an 8,000 lb speed boat hitting their fence at 60 miles per hour. Based on all of the destruction tests our founder / chief engineer had done during the development of the product, he was certain that it could.

So go for it!

Regarding the warranty, use it...abuse it, beat it...mistreat it, all damage is covered.

Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 16:16   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
How about a test of anchors using little to no chain? Since chaffing would not be an issue as it is a short deployment , no chain on short scope would be a great test.

It would show what anchors depend on the weight of the chain to hold it in place, and what anchors use design to hold in place.
Tests using Nylon Rope only at 3 to 1 scope have already been accomplished on three anchors. The 100 pound Yachtsman (video #23), and the 65 pound Forfjord (video #28) both set fine using no chain.

Also tested was the 44 pound Bruce. Results confirmed the need for some chain on this design.

Old 24-02-2016, 16:31   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
So go for it!

Regarding the warranty, use it...abuse it, beat it...mistreat it, all damage is covered.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
Give ours a shot, bent shanks are covered under the lifetime warranty. Just don't drill a hole in the shank.
Thanks guys,

I'll try and work that test into the schedule.

Do not be disappointed if it does not happen as I am beginning to grow weary of all this testing. I am currently pushing hard to finish testing the anchors in my 6 "standard" tests. I hope to make a "wrap up" film with commentary and short clips from each test.

Steve
Old 25-02-2016, 06:08   #193

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Thanks guys,

I'll try and work that test into the schedule.

Do not be disappointed if it does not happen as I am beginning to grow weary of all this testing. I am currently pushing hard to finish testing the anchors in my 6 "standard" tests. I hope to make a "wrap up" film with commentary and short clips from each test.

Steve
I can understand you wanting to wrap this up and move on, at least for now, great work on this thread all throughout!

I think it's quite notable that both Spade and Fortress have actual lifetime warranties and neither has a whole list of disclaimers or any conditions other than you not do things like drilling holes in them that would obviously weaken them. I haven't researched the whole list of anchor manufacturers but I have checked the warranty of a few that specify so many conditions that I get the feeling that when a warranty claim becomes necessary, they're going to use all these conditions as an excuse to weasel out of standing behind their anchor, which would require buying a whole new one. In sharp contrast, both SPADE and Fortress have extremely simple and straightforward warranties and almost seem eager for you or anyone else to use it. I have personal experience with the SPADE warranty and found that they are just as eager to stand behind their products for the average boater as their advertising implies they are. Fortress seems to have a similar, unconditional policy. Just something else worth considering when choosing which anchor(s) to invest in.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:44   #194
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:

Steve
Steve, I want to commend you on your tremendous efforts with this very time-consuming, yet worthwhile project. You are creating legacy videos that will be of interest to boaters for many years to come.

I also understand the work involved. It is not just the anchor deployment and filming that is time-intensive, but also the editing and adding of captions / text at exactly the precise time during the pull tests.

Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Fortress seems to have a similar, unconditional policy. Just something else worth considering when choosing which anchor(s) to invest in.
What many manufacturers don't realize is with the time, energy, and effort they might spend harassing customers about the validity of their warranty claim, that they would be much further ahead, from a cost and customer service standpoint, to happily honor warranty claims.

A manufacturer can create a large, forever-growing contingent of product promoters with a terrific unconditional warranty. I can't tell you how many times during the past 19 years that I have had Fortress owners stop by our display stand at boat shows just to say, "Thank you, you guys are great!" after we took care of their warranty claim, hassle-free. It is something a customer will never forget.
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:20   #195

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

aw, com'on steve - what are ya gonna do if not anchor testing? sit around all day drinkin' martinis?

Just kidding I'll say it again, you are truly to be commended for doing this

By the way Fortress, you're completely correct re: the expense involved in checking an rejecting warranty claims. It is cheaper and much better customer service to just say "yes sir!" We'll send the replacement right out"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor