Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 13:00   #586

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I did similar testing, same cast of characters, but with a 2.5-pound Guardian.

• Grapnel, mushroom, etc. Agree, not worth extended testing.
  • Stones: Similar results to Panope.
  • Sand and mud. The Claw still sucked. The Mantus did about as you saw, holding 25-120 pounds, depending on the seabed. The difference was the Guardian. In sand and mud it behaved like a Fortress, going deep. In very soft mud it would hold well over 100 pounds, and in fine sand I gave up before I broke something, at 1000 pounds. It was a bugger to recover, requiring snubbing and the use of a windlass on the big boat.
I actually used the Mantus and Guardian to anchor my 34' catamaran on some 10-20 knots days in an open roadstead, to simulate how their big brothers might behave (rotate etc) is a real storm. They didn't drag, holding a boat with a lot of windage.

Though I did not test the 2.5-pound Danforth, I used to have one. For reasons I do not fully understand, Fortress and Guardian anchors outperform. Some is fluke size, the rest much be geometry.

And every bottom is different.

But until someone else makes a 2-pound anchor in dinghy sizes, Mantus doesn't have any performance competition. But they are not so cheap. But if it saves me from loosing my dinghy....

Yea, I had a Lewmar claw for my dinghy. It did suck...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 13:32   #587
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Yea, I had a Lewmar claw for my dinghy. It did suck...

I use the 2-pound Claw for kayak fishing. Easy to throw in the bottom of the boat, easy to pith out with one hand, no sharp corners, and I don't need much holding, just a few pounds. I keep a skinny rode on a Cuban yoyo. It is probably the best anchor for that specific use.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:17   #588

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

The Cooper anchor has impressed me. It sets very quickly and penetrates hard packed sand well.

I'm not sure about the distribution in North America. It is less than a third of the price of the Mantus dinghy anchor though.

https://cooperanchors.com.au/
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 09:58   #589

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 01:41   #590
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Once again great information - thanks for the hard work!

I have see mention of "Angles" (weights) being slide down the anchor rode to help with the catenaray but watching your video I can't imagine them making much difference?
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 06:43   #591

Thanks, Sos

I think you are correct about angles/kellets.

Might be useful during setting when using rope rode.

The 105 feet of chain that I used in the tests weighs close to 4 times as much as the 45 lb. anchors that I normally test. A kellet with equal effectiveness would need to be truly massive.

Steve
Old 23-11-2020, 11:11   #592
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings fellow mariners,

Let me be the first to congratulate Steve on accomplishing his goal. He states at the beginning of all his videos that he is in search of the “perfect” anchor. After many many hours, days, weeks, and years of searching, as well as performing extensive testing, it appears he has reached the pinnacle of anchor selection.

What anchor is it you might be asking yourself? Well I would suggest it was plainly visibly in his most recent video.

Wait for it.........yes it appears the 70,80,90 foot tall pine tree, or was that a spruce?, cedar?, oak?, cherry?, apple?, well whatever type of tree it is, it appears to be the only anchor which didn’t budge an inch under any and all loads Steve was able to apply to it.

Now perhaps it isn’t the most convenient anchor as it does require climbing some 30’ into the limbs above to obtain a strong tie off point. Although one could probably simply attach to the base of the tree with similar or perhaps even better results.

So now I am off to figure out how to get the 80’tall, 4’ diameter Douglas fir tree I have in my back yard to fit on my bow roller. I am soliciting ideas as to how best make it fit my 36’ sailing vessel. I also need to calculate the weight of my new “anchor” to be certain my boat can handle the additional load. What does an 80’ tall tree weigh? I currently have a 46 pound anchor on the bow. I bet they are close to the same.

In case you are still reading at this point, the above is clearly written in jest and I sincerely thank Steve for all his efforts and hard work. Even if he did drill holes in my Rocna and beat the crap out of it with a big hammer.

Thanks Steve!!!

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 11:15   #593

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwork View Post
Greetings fellow mariners,

Let me be the first to congratulate Steve on accomplishing his goal. He states at the beginning of all his videos that he is in search of the “perfect” anchor. After many many hours, days, weeks, and years of searching, as well as performing extensive testing, it appears he has reached the pinnacle of anchor selection.

What anchor is it you might be asking yourself? Well I would suggest it was plainly visibly in his most recent video.

Wait for it.........yes it appears the 70,80,90 foot tall pine tree, or was that a spruce?, cedar?, oak?, cherry?, apple?, well whatever type of tree it is, it appears to be the only anchor which didn’t budge an inch under any and all loads Steve was able to apply to it.

Now perhaps it isn’t the most convenient anchor as it does require climbing some 30’ into the limbs above to obtain a strong tie off point. Although one could probably simply attach to the base of the tree with similar or perhaps even better results.

So now I am off to figure out how to get the 80’tall, 4’ diameter Douglas fir tree I have in my back yard to fit on my bow roller. I am soliciting ideas as to how best make it fit my 36’ sailing vessel. I also need to calculate the weight of my new “anchor” to be certain my boat can handle the additional load. What does an 80’ tall tree weigh? I currently have a 46 pound anchor on the bow. I bet they are close to the same.

In case you are still reading at this point, the above is clearly written in jest and I sincerely thank Steve for all his efforts and hard work. Even if he did drill holes in my Rocna and beat the crap out of it with a big hammer.

Thanks Steve!!!

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Ha ha, thanks for the laugh Jake. 😊
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 11:35   #594
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Ha ha, thanks for the laugh Jake. ��

I once saw some climbers tie a top rope anchor to 12" oak tree.

My daughter and I were climbing around the corner, with me up some 5.10 and her holding the rope. We heard a "zip" sound, like spinning tires, followed by small branches breaking and a thud. We figured the Park service must have used a truck to pull a snag down. Then we heard some yelling, but not calls for help. Once I finished, we walked over to investigate.

Is seems the tree was a totally dead snag and had been for 15 years. No bark. Nobody was dumb enough to use it for an anchor... we thought. The "zip" sound was the rope going over the cliff edge, pulling the climber up, as the tree fell (sheer luck) up hill instead of onto them. Lots of finger pointing. Darwin was cheated.
Old 23-11-2020, 11:45   #595

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

OK, Jake nice joke.

I think the point is that at about F 6-7 the catenary of yr anchor is going to virtually disappear so it becomes straight. This emphasises the benefit of a long nylon snubber.

Once I have set the snubber I then let out another 10m/30ft of chain so that the loop of chain will then help soften any snatch in the waves.
Andrew
Old 23-11-2020, 22:32   #596
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thanks, Sos

I think you are correct about angles/kellets.

Might be useful during setting when using rope rode.

The 105 feet of chain that I used in the tests weighs close to 4 times as much as the 45 lb. anchors that I normally test. A kellet with equal effectiveness would need to be truly massive.

Steve
Thanks, Steve
Great demonstration, I wish you can test the yawing effect also which I believe significantly affects the chain angle to the seabed but then you will need to wait for a big blow in the forest, good job.
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:20   #597

Old 14-12-2020, 09:07   #598

Old 18-12-2020, 21:33   #599

I Check the fit of various sized shackles in all the test anchors. Most anchors could accommodate appropriate sized shackles, while others could not.

https://youtu.be/WxvlsL7en40
Old 18-12-2020, 21:41   #600

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Forgive me if I missed it but that one with the rock slot made me wonder if you have done testing of rock slots to see if they are of any value?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor