Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 10:39   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Re: Viking anchor , now where have I seen this before.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
This is quite a claim. And it is made based on 2 weeks of anchoring around the Med? And you tested it against all the other anchors on the market, on your boat in all kinds of wind speeds with various scope and it is all documented and photographed too? Impressive.
well, I had to state something to steer the bowl again

Here is what we have done so far de facto:
35 setting and holding testes using 4X4 trucks and tractors in sand and mud, for Viking 10, 15, 20 and 25.

One extensive month with Viking 15 and Viking 10 in the med in all kind of seabeds with winds up to 30 knots with 12 tons 13.5 meters boat.

We have another month starting on the 5th.

One extensive month with Viking 10 used by exploring working10 meters motor vessel anchoring daily in high currents and winds in Israel.

3 weeks with Viking 20 used by Hallberg Rassi 52 in New York area.

3 weeks used with Bavaria 49 in the same area.

Some of the above documented most are not, it is a bit of a task to document the anchoring process when the crew is only 2 people.

So maybe saying it is the best design of all its too much but take my word for it: it is the best anchor me and another 4 experienced skippers have met so far.

If you don't trust my word, why should you, just spend the money and see for yourself, Oh we don't sell yet, we will start to accept orders at the end of the month.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:48   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK I don't recall that Noelex and Panope have recorded their findings with the Viking, but I'd like to see what they get, or got.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 01-06-2019, 10:57   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Seems like a fine looking anchor. Looks a lot like others already out there, so I’m sure it would work as well as the other spade-style.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:17   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK I don't recall that Noelex and Panope have recorded their findings with the Viking, but I'd like to see what they get, or got.
I believe they are connected to this forum, if they have time, I will take my chances.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:21   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Seems like a fine looking anchor. Looks a lot like others already out there, so I’m sure it would work as well as the other spade-style.
It just works. we spent a lot of time and money making the new Viking design to be very good exploring a lot of anchor designs, it works better, so far.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:59   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
It just works. we spent a lot of time and money making the new Viking design to be very good exploring a lot of anchor designs, it works better, so far.
Every anchor maker says the same thing.

I think the spade style anchors generally out perform most of the older plow/claw style in almost every way. But my experience with a few, and my reading of the various tests, tells me they all perform generally about the same. The variables involved in anchoring produce greater error bars around any specific testing conclusion.

This new one may indeed leave the rest of the pack behind, but that would require a pretty high standard of evidence. I’ve yet to see any such evidence from any anchor maker — and they all make the same claim of being the best.
Old 01-06-2019, 14:20   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

In case anyone missed them:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 01-06-2019, 14:48   #38

Boat: Cal 33-2

Until there is some real comparison testing by a reputable third party, this is just marketing BS. Viking should begin by spending some time cleaning up their website which is littered with typos and misspellings. It doesn't give one much confidence in the operation as a whole.
Old 01-06-2019, 23:32   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Every anchor maker says the same thing.

I think the spade style anchors generally out perform most of the older plow/claw style in almost every way. But my experience with a few, and my reading of the various tests, tells me they all perform generally about the same. The variables involved in anchoring produce greater error bars around any specific testing conclusion.

This new one may indeed leave the rest of the pack behind, but that would require a pretty high standard of evidence. I’ve yet to see any such evidence from any anchor maker — and they all make the same claim of being the best.
Indeed spade anchors are very good but they do have some downsides, spade is a ballasted type anchor, meaning its toe got to be heavy and its shank got to be light, either by inserting led between two layers of metal at the toe of the fluke or making the toe heavy using very thick metal, the way Raya did (RIP), and for spade, leaving the fluke hollow, again with two layers of metal welded together or made by casting.
the outcome is a very good anchor that is expensive to make with a high chance of having rust issues at the weldings of the above layers as well as a relatively heavy anchor with the small holding surface due to weight.
But undoubtedly a very good anchor.
Old 01-06-2019, 23:34   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Until there is some real comparison testing by a reputable third party, this is just marketing BS. Viking should begin by spending some time cleaning up their website which is littered with typos and misspellings. It doesn't give one much confidence in the operation as a whole.
That is what you have to say? typos and misspellings?
Old 02-06-2019, 00:08   #41

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Yes, the home page needs work. I could for example not find where the anchors are manufactured. Also, the tests on the youtube channel have 0 angle of attack, which is unrealistic.

I am sure this is a good anchor, as it looks almost identically to a Mantus. And the price is good. Unfortunately, it does not work for me, due to the roll bar.

For many years I have anchored with fisherman anchors, not once did I drag, even in very bad conditions. This does not mean that the fisherman anchor is the best anchor.

The best holding power for a given weight will be a Fortress.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:01   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Yes, the home page needs work. I could for example not find where the anchors are manufactured. Also, the tests on the youtube channel have 0 angle of attack, which is unrealistic.

I am sure this is a good anchor, as it looks almost identically to a Mantus. And the price is good. Unfortunately, it does not work for me, due to the roll bar.

For many years I have anchored with fisherman anchors, not once did I drag, even in very bad conditions. This does not mean that the fisherman anchor is the best anchor.

The best holding power for a given weight will be a Fortress.
The anchors are manufactured in Ukraine, you can find it in the "about" section here https://vikinganchors.com/about

Obviously, it is better to conduct tests with a boat, but from our Viking 10 and above we needed more than 2 metric tons pull power which is hard to achieve with a medium size boat, we will get to it in time.

About the "Mantus" thing
Once and for all here are the main differences for the naked eye, not getting into the "why" now, only the design differences.

Viking fluke:
Concave with enlarged rollbar mounting plates and enlarged fluke back shoulders and more surface at the heel side.
The fluke has holes to prevent mud piling for better ree setting, diamond-shaped toe, connected to the shank at the far end of the heel to maximize holding angle.

Viking shank:
Thicker than the "other one" made with HT 800 MPa steel with anchormate groove (works great), welded to a large thick boot supporting the fluke toe and shoulders at the back, assembled from the bottom up thru the fluke slot.
Using 7 pan head bolts assembled from the top to bottom to prevent friction while penetrating and setting and minimize mud chances to pile up when ree setting.
Slightly bigger rollbar radius and rollbar pipe diameter.

There are more but I think its enough for now.

you can find more info on our website (working on the typos and misspellings as we speak)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:45   #43

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Looks like it would work fine/great, but the "bigger than others" roll bar is a negative for me. It makes it hard to fit into my bow roller at the appropriate size. I use rocna but will upgrade to a one size bigger Ultra. Same shape, same holding, no roll bar (also meaning no grass clogs). But good luck...
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner;cho2900442
Looks like it would work fine/great, but the "bigger than others" roll bar is a negative for me. It makes it hard to fit into my bow roller at the appropriate size. I use rocna but will upgrade to a one size bigger Ultra. Same shape, same holding, no roll bar (also meaning no grass clogs). But good luck...
Thank you, if no choice i would stay with the Rocna, great anchor.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:39   #45

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I have the original, oversized. [emoji12]

My Mantus is a 85lbs Mantus. on a Lagoon 400 catamaran.
It sets instantly and holds great so far. 10..12t weight and a lot of wind age. The original Delta 25kg was OK too, but drags easier when reversing, the Mantus simply pins down the boat.

Probably a 25kg Mantus would be sufficient, but hey, the 38kg simply let's us sleep better.

Tags
anchor