Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2023, 11:26   #16

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Viking anchors-the next level

The roll bar anchor first appeared on German boats about 30 years ago, called either “ Bugel” or “ Bugle”. Pretty much every new anchor since that time has been a variation of a roll bar on a plow. No doubt enhancements have made in manufacturing process and subtle variations of the flare of the plow, the angle of the shank, plow-shank weight ratio, etc etc., retrieval method, stowing, on and on.
Eventually some anchor will be developed that will be ideal for mud. Something else great for grass. Still something else perfect for rock. Just about every anchor marketed in the last 100 years has some application it is uniquely suited for, but too many possible uses make it unlikely that one anchor will ever appear that is “ best” in all conceivable conditions. And I haven’t even started on boat loading variations, or rode , or scope, or….You get the picture.
Old 14-04-2023, 12:40   #17

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
Odin 10first glimpse

Izi, the Odin 10 looks very interesting.

You have my shipping address. 🙂

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 14:38   #18

I doubt anyone exists who can judge an anchor by its drawing or photos, so before tell anything bad/good I wait for the video of a Panope (AKA Steve) test.
As well as being impartial, he has all the data to compare it with most of those on the market
Eagle ITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 17:35   #19

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

This certainly looks interesting, can't wait to see how it does on Steve's test rig.

I wonder what the bolt near the tip is for.

Also, I noticed how short the shank is. The Viking and Mantus M2 also have short shanks with tall bends like that. Is that inherent to a stable/self-righting rollbar-free design? Or is it just taking advantage of a second design to offer a different shank shape for different anchor roller arrangements?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 17:38   #20

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I'll also add that while the Viking anchor's performance is very good in Steve's test, that many boat owners, including myself, won't be Viking customers until Izi gives up on the lighter-is-better marketing angle and starts making larger size anchors.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 17:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
The roll bar anchor first appeared on German boats about 30 years ago, called either “ Bugel” or “ Bugle”. Pretty much every new anchor since that time has been a variation of a roll bar on a plow. No doubt enhancements have made in manufacturing process and subtle variations of the flare of the plow, the angle of the shank, plow-shank weight ratio, etc etc., retrieval method, stowing, on and on.
Eventually some anchor will be developed that will be ideal for mud. Something else great for grass. Still something else perfect for rock. Just about every anchor marketed in the last 100 years has some application it is uniquely suited for, but too many possible uses make it unlikely that one anchor will ever appear that is “ best” in all conceivable conditions. And I haven’t even started on boat loading variations, or rode , or scope, or….You get the picture.
What you said about the perfect anchor for all conditions is true . But technology has given us anchors that are better in the majority of conditions than the old 70s flavor anchors I've had two new style roll bar anchors from different manufacturers and I cannot conjure up a condition I have experienced where a claw or a plow would have worked better
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 18:13   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
many boat owners, including myself, won't be Viking customers until Izi gives up on the lighter-is-better marketing angle and starts making larger size anchors.
I also find this marketing strategy off putting.

One of the practical problems with both of the Viking designs is that the shank attachment point is towards the crown of the anchor and further away from the centre of the fluke compared to similar designs such as the Rocna (MK 1 and 2), Mantus M1, Manson Supreme etc.

This does not create any problems if a very small anchor size (relative to the boat size) is chosen, but together with the long fluke of the Viking models it will cause the tip to foul the bow of many boats if a more realistic (in my view) anchor size was manufactured.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 18:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

One of the practical problems with both of the Viking designs is that the shank attachment point is towards the crown of the anchor and further away from the centre of the fluke compared to similar designs such as the Rocna (MK 1 and 2), Mantus M1, Manson Supreme etc.

This does not create any problems if a very small anchor size (relative to the boat size) is chosen, but together with the long fluke of the Viking models it will cause the tip to foul the bow of many boats if a more realistic (in my view) anchor size was manufactured.
Interesting observation I guess we won't know about that till we see a larger anchor. . I agree. The lack of larger sizes is a non-starter for me
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 18:38   #24

I suggest you send a copy of your anchor to Steve on SV PANOPE.
swisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 04:31   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9VKO-dOkpe8
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/t-EOC2HerCg
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 06:55   #26

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

That's a good point. That design seems to be functionally good, but it presents a fit challenge. On some boats (like mine) it would require moving the roller further out (in my case, I'd just ditch the slot in the pulpit and put a roller on the end to gain a foot of tip clearance). But my tip clearance limitation is tight enough that the Viking isn't the only anchor that would be an issue.

And yes, I haven't bought a Viking partly because of the combination of tip clearance and sizing. The largest size listed on the website is at the very smallest end of what I'd consider for this boat, and realistically, I'd want something a bit bigger.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 07:49   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Izi, the Odin 10 looks very interesting.

You have my shipping address. 🙂

Steve
Will do, when we are done, very curious to see how the Edge did.
Old 16-04-2023, 05:38   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izikalvo View Post
Will do, when we are done, very curious to see how the Wedge did.
Wedge
Old 27-04-2023, 20:02   #29
Marine Service Provider

Continue testing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odin 10 11.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	274701   Click image for larger version

Name:	odin 10 10.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	274702  

Name:	odin gurna 2IMG-20230424-WA0049.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	274703   Click image for larger version

Name:	odin 10 6.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	274704  

Name:	odin 10 14.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	274705   Click image for larger version

Name:	odin 10 9.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	274706  

Old 27-04-2023, 20:43   #30

More than having or not the rollbar, I see a huge difference between the shanks
A shank very different from most popular models (maybe it could remember the Bruce one), it could be very interesting

Look forward to see it soon in the hands of Panope

Tags
anchor