Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 09:36   #61

Boat: Tashing Baba 40
Re: Watching my yacht drift out into the bay

I had my boat drag while I was away up onto a mud bank. Incredibly sick feeling in your stomach to come around the point and see her laying on her side. Luckily, the anchor had reset enough during the drag to act as a kedge and I got her off with no damage.

I don't see any mention of anchor buoys. I have a 12" red buoy that I attach to the anchor with "depth + 5'" of light line, and it has our boat's name on it. The presumption is that even the most clueless can figure out "gee, maybe I shouldn't anchor between that boat and that ball"

Comments?

www.sv-agnesrose.org
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:52   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrout View Post
I had my boat drag while I was away up onto a mud bank. Incredibly sick feeling in your stomach to come around the point and see her laying on her side. Luckily, the anchor had reset enough during the drag to act as a kedge and I got her off with no damage.

I don't see any mention of anchor buoys. I have a 12" red buoy that I attach to the anchor with "depth + 5'" of light line, and it has our boat's name on it. The presumption is that even the most clueless can figure out "gee, maybe I shouldn't anchor between that boat and that ball"

Comments?

You overestimate the intelligence of the clueless. The anchor buoy will cause much more trouble or even harm than any positive effect (that is the consensus among long term cruisers I think)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:30   #63

Boat: Tashing Baba 40

I just noticed there is a whole thread on the topic - silly me. Haven't had internet in a while so not caught up. Never mind.

www.sv-agnesrose.org
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:37   #64

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You overestimate the intelligence of the clueless. The anchor buoy will cause much more trouble or even harm than any positive effect (that is the consensus among long term cruisers I think)
There are lots of those clueless people in the PNW.
I see them all the time in their dinghies as they motor up close and personal across my stretched out anchor rode while they rubberneck my boat.

About 1% of the time, they turn away to avoid it at the last second.

I makes me want to tie a comb section of bright yellow floating lines, each a couple feet long down the rode near the boat.

like this: _______|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||__________

Let your prop eat THAT you dummies !

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:37   #65

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
We had crossed over the Mona Passage from the DR, and anchored in Boqueron. Was there for several days, winds would come and go, seemed like everything was good. Went to do some errands, and was gone a good part of the day. When we got back, a couple cruisers came running up saying our boat was dragging. The boat was almost on the horizon, or so it seemed. One cruiser had a skiff with a bigger outboard and ran us to the boat, all the way, telling us how to anchor, what we did wrong, not enough scope, etc. Got on the boat and started taking up the all chain rode, and taking it up and taking it up. Our ride said something about more than enough chain. Anchor came up with the head of a mop wrapping the whole CQR. A good laugh, and for years, when we would meet up with friends, would be hailed as "KEEP on MOPPIN'".
A few year back I was cruising the Gulf Islands in BC and decided to anchor in Montague harbor for the nite. I'd been there a few times before, and liked the fact that it is fairly protected, and a large anchorage. I'd always anchored in the south side of the bay, but this time it seemed more crowded, so I decided to head to the north side. I found spot, and dropped my CQR in about 25' of water and backed down- and kept on going. I picked up the anchor but let it still hang in the water, and motored forward without paying attention, dropped it again, put it in reverse with the same result. Tried it a third time, and again, kept going. I figured that was why more boats were on the south side of the bay-must be poor holding on the north side, and decided to head over to the south side. This time I pulled the anchor all the way up the roller, and discovered a wine bottle with the top half broken off, but the bottom half securely jammed on the end of my anchor! What are the odds? That explained why I wasn't holding. It was on there so tightly that I had to break it with a hammer. I made sure the pieces were small enough to not let this happen again to some other poor soul, but haven't anchored in the north side since...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
(I use a NG anchor now and haven't had that problem since).
Never heard of an NG anchor. Please enlighten me
Old 09-02-2017, 10:57   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrout View Post

Comments?
Most people will assume it's a mooring buoy, clueless and those with a clue. Don't use one unless you welcome problems. If you use one often enough then eventually, you'll wrap it around your own prop... you'll figure it out.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:01   #68

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Nice. You are of the few boats around able to anchor in deep water with all chain. Pays dividends.
I'm 75 metres and often use every inch. Leaving Sydney for Tassie tomorrow and all that chain may well prove to be pretty useful.
Did you see the wind forecast for Sunday. Better stay North of the Bass Strait until that system blows through.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:02   #69

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Never heard of an NG anchor. Please enlighten me
New generation. All the anchors argued about, endlessly.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:10   #70

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
Anyone else had an experience where someone just doesn't give a stuff about your boat after their actions cause something like this.
My boat has collected a fair amount of scrapes and dents while tied up in the marina. Including a bent pulpit and broken anchor mount. Nobody has ever fessed up.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:14   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
New generation. All the anchors argued about, endlessly.
Gotcha. Thanks for the answer. BTW, got a Spade now...

Tags
yacht