Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 18:31   #1

Boat: Celestial 48
What Anchor Line Would You Get?

My boat is 48' ketch, fairly low windage, and 23 tons. I currently have 300' of 3/8" BBB chain with 65# CQR and a Muir 1000W windlass.

I recently wanted to anchor in an area with 105' depth. I think I would have held OK in the current conditions with 300', but I was not comfortable getting off of the boat with that short of scope, so moved on elsewhere.

I want to keep an extra length of anchor line to shackle on to the end of the chain should this situation come up again (plan to revist the area soon). Also want line long enough so it count serve as a back-up anchor rode by its self. Trying to decide between:
  1. 250' of 5/8" 3-strand nylon
  2. 250' of 3/4" 3-strand nylon
  3. 250' of 5/8" mega plait nylon
  4. 250' of 3/4" mega plait nylon
The 3/4" size seems an overkill and would add significant bulk, but maybe I should use anyway?

What do you use, and recommend for use based on my boat?

Thanks for your input
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 18:41   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: What anchor line would you get?

Definitely the multi-plait - it will store in a fraction of the space of 3-strand. As for size, look at a recommendation table. 5/8" is probably stronger than the chain you have.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 18:48   #3

Boat: OEM, proportional

Wet nylon under cyclic loading isn't quite so strong anymore. 3/4 rather than 5/8, but it's your pocket.
Old 30-08-2012, 18:49   #4

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

3 would be my choice
Old 30-08-2012, 19:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Definitely the multi-plait - it will store in a fraction of the space of 3-strand. As for size, look at a recommendation table. 5/8" is probably stronger than the chain you have.

Mark
Well, almost exact match:
3/8" BBB 11000 lbs breaking strength
5/8" multi plait 10400 lbs breaking strength where 5/8" 3-strand about 11000 lbs.

Storage space is important. Will likely store in a bag in a locker, but able to keep ready on deck.
Old 30-08-2012, 19:05   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

for your 48 ft boat i would buy all chain---3/8 inch all chain rode.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 19:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
for your 48 ft boat i would buy all chain---3/8 inch all chain rode.
Well, already got 300' of chain. Not very often I use all of that. But sometimes would like more length, so shackling on a nylon line in that case just seems to make sense in those occasions.
Old 30-08-2012, 19:12   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
5/8" multi plait 10400 lbs breaking strength where 5/8" 3-strand about 11000 lbs.
In that case, I would go with 3/4".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 19:12   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You really want the 3/4" rode--quoted breaking strength is for the rope under ideal conditions, and does not take into account knots, splices, or chafe. BTW, let the chain out first, and don't add more nylon than the water depth if you are in an area of coral and/or rocks.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 19:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You really want the 3/4" rode--quoted breaking strength is for the rope under ideal conditions, and does not take into account knots, splices, or chafe. BTW, let the chain out first, and don't add more nylon than the water depth if you are in an area of coral and/or rocks.
I guess in the best case I would have at least an eye splice on the end of the line. How much does that reduce strength of line?

Agree with your point. If in 100' of water would not see letting out more that 100' of the nylon line in most cases (in addition to the 300' of chain). If really deep, and really blowing, and coral - well might be beyond comfort level at that point.
Old 30-08-2012, 19:24   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I'm not as big...but I have 150' of 5/16 G-4 and 200' of 3/4 3 strand anchor spliced on the end. Bite of 3 strand ready for another anchor.
Have 2 spare danforths so ya never know.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 19:59   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Dennis,

Hmm, lots of differing advice above... how unusual in an anchoring thread!!

So, here's my addition:

When anchoring really deep (ie your 105 foot neighborhood), I have found that the scope requirements seem to be less stringent, and 3:1 isn't so scary as it would be in 10 feet. But having some additional line available isn't a bad idea per se.

Because it would be seldom used, I think a smaller "safety factor" would be feasible, since wear and tear, sun damage etc would be minimal. Thus the 5/8 inch size would likely be ok. Further, if nasty conditions are f/c, one would likely try to find a shallower spot to anchor in.

Because of the storage factor (as others have mentioned) the plaited line will be better for you than 3-strand. An eye splice with thimble and a good shackle is the best means of connecting the two rodes (don't forget to mouse the shackle pin!)

Don Radcliffe's advice about not letting the nylon lie on the bottom is well said. If there are coral bommies sticking up from the seabed anywhere nearby, even more care is required to avoid the nylon coming in contact with the coral if you should swing a bit.

A further option would be to use dacron rather than nylon. I know that it has less stretch, but when coupled with 300 feet of heavy chain this becomes less of an issue, especially if you have close to 100 feet of the line to act as a shock absorber. The dacron will have better wet chafe resistance, a bit more strength, and possibly a better price... maybe!

FWIW, we cruised for 17 years and 86000 miles in our previous boat. We had 275 feet of chain and a very long bit of 3-strand 5/8" on the end of it. In all those years and miles we used the nylon ONCE. On our current boat we just have the (approximate) same length of chain and no nylon... no worries yet after a mere 42000 miles and 9 years!

Good luck with the decision!

Jim
Old 30-08-2012, 20:04   #13

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
You should go by the working load limit (WLL), not breaking strength. The WLL for 3/8" Acco BBB chain is 2650 lbs.

WLL is usually not specified for rope. New England Ropes has this advice:
Quote:
Working Loads:
No blanket safe working load (SWL) recommendations can be made for any line because SWL's must be calculated based on application, conditions of use, and potential danger to personnel among other considerations. It is recommended that the end user establish working loads and safety factors based on best practices established by the end user's industry; by professional judgment and personal experience; and after thorough assessment of all risks. The SWL is a guideline for the use of a rope in good condition for non-critical applications and should be reduced where life, limb, or valuable property is involved, or in cases of exceptional service such as shock loading, sustained loading, severe vibration, etc. The Cordage Institute specifies that the SWL of a rope shall be determined by dividing the Minimum Tensile Strength of the rope by a safety factor. The safety factor ranges from 5 to 12 for non-critical uses and is typically set at 15 for life lines.
You can decide whether the anchor rode is "non-critical use" or a "lifeline".
Old 30-08-2012, 20:32   #14

Thanks Ziggy

If use a safety factor of 12:
5/8" mega plait nylon: 10,400# BS / 12 = 866# SWL
3/4" mega plait nylon: 15,000# BS / 12 = 1250# SWL
Both of which are significantly less than the chain's 2650# WLL.

Looking at it another way, if assuming the desired line SWL is 2650# (the WLL of the chain), the safety factors would be:
5/8" mega plait nylon: 10400 / 2650 = 3.9
3/4" mega plait nylon: 15000 / 2650 = 5.7

Of course this assumes that the definition of SWL for line and WLL for chain are somewhat the same (which may not be the case, for if using the same approach, the 3/8" chain safety factor would only be 11000/2650 = 4.2). Also assumes that maximum tensile strength and breaking strength mean the same thing (which I think is correct).

Anyway, this discussion is pushing me towards the 3/4" size line as a choice.
Old 31-08-2012, 04:07   #15

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: What Anchor Line Would You Get?

The safety factors are different for different products and applications. I think they may be higher for rope than for chain because of potential effects of dirt, UV, etc. FIW, for my anchor rode I use 5/16" G4 chain with 5/8 plait nylon rope for a 32' boat, ~10,000 lbs displacement.

Tags
anchor