Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 14:18   #61

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler
We have anchored in different remote spots around Galveston Bay during the summer only to be joined shortly by other boats (usually fishing boats). Our usual attire when anchored in these spots is birthday suits. When we climb out of the water after a dip you can often hear some funny comments and they are soon out of there. LOL

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 14:35   #62

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallswede View Post
We have anchored in different remote spots around Galveston Bay during the summer only to be joined shortly by other boats (usually fishing boats). Our usual attire when anchored in these spots is birthday suits. When we climb out of the water after a dip you can often hear some funny comments and they are soon out of there.
I don't swim nude in the rivers or bays out of fear that my "member" might look like something tasty to a fish.
Old 14-07-2010, 15:06   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I don't swim nude in the rivers or bays out of fear that my "member" might look like something tasty to a fish.
LOL, I thought I was the only one with that phobia!! I keep thinking that it may look like a lure for something getting hungry...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 18:40   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
On the serious side, I think the only sailing ladies I have seen topless were all French
You obviously have not anchored next to TabbyCat....
Old 15-07-2010, 09:15   #65
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyfunk View Post
if I discover someone has put their vessel too close to me, and in a manner that may cause a collision what can I do?
We have a very firm rule on board (LISTEN NICOLLE!!!) that we do not complain about other people anchoring too close for a FULL 30 minutes.

Why?

Because in most cases folks realise that the place they anchored wasn't quite the way they thought it would be in their minds eye.

It takes about 30 minutes for it to sink in.

(Actually it takes me 45 minutes but I pretend I'm smarter )

So when someone comes into the anchorage I go below and let them anchor in peace.

Then I come up to do some 'job' in the cockpit and give them a nice cheery wave.

Then I let them have their 30 minutes.

Mostly its long enough to sort things out and if they have anchored too close then they realise it and move.

After that I will make some sort of diplomatic approach: "I haven't anchored here before, hows the holding?..."
See the diplomatic diference? It allows them to 'save face' as the Japanes would put it, and move.
Cut a mans balls off in front of his woman or his family and he will never back down. Nor will he ever become your friend.

If there is an obvious problem like the original poster shows a towed in boat obviously badly anchored and unattended, then I would move my boat without getting grumpy as he has obviously bigger problems than me!

Finally can I tell you about the frekkin anchoring disaster they other day? It was my fault but I came into this anchorage and the wind changed by 90 degrees and so I dropped the pick (actually Nic did, I just yelled ) and then as soon as we dropped the wind switched back. As the 2 wind shifts were so fast different boats had swung at different rates and ..... oh stuff it: I just SCREWED UP!!!!!!!!

But sitting in the cockpit for 10 minutes it dawned on me the only way out of it was for me to move......

So give people 30 minutes.......... just the sort of latitude you would like when you make a disastrous mistake. Or the wind made it

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 09:59   #66

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
LOL, I thought I was the only one with that phobia!!
If you guys form a support group I am in!
Especially in the Amazon
The Straight Dope: Can the candirú fish swim upstream into your urethra?
Old 15-07-2010, 10:14   #67

Boat: CT54
I think MarkJ is a very wise man in his approach.
If everyone did what he does I doubt there would be as many uptight people in a anchorage.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 10:49   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
I think MarkJ is a very wise man in his approach.
If everyone did what he does I doubt there would be as many uptight people in a anchorage.
I agree about Mark, but also endorse TabbyCat's implied habits.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 20:12   #69

Boat: Crowther/DTP 49' "SeaVeyor"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We have a very firm rule on board (LISTEN NICOLLE!!!) that we do not complain about other people anchoring too close for a FULL 30 minutes.

Why?

Because in most cases folks realise that the place they anchored wasn't quite the way they thought it would be in their minds eye.

It takes about 30 minutes for it to sink in.

(Actually it takes me 45 minutes but I pretend I'm smarter )

So when someone comes into the anchorage I go below and let them anchor in peace.

Then I come up to do some 'job' in the cockpit and give them a nice cheery wave.

Then I let them have their 30 minutes.

Mostly its long enough to sort things out and if they have anchored too close then they realise it and move.

After that I will make some sort of diplomatic approach: "I haven't anchored here before, hows the holding?..."
See the diplomatic diference? It allows them to 'save face' as the Japanes would put it, and move.
Cut a mans balls off in front of his woman or his family and he will never back down. Nor will he ever become your friend.

If there is an obvious problem like the original poster shows a towed in boat obviously badly anchored and unattended, then I would move my boat without getting grumpy as he has obviously bigger problems than me!

Finally can I tell you about the frekkin anchoring disaster they other day? It was my fault but I came into this anchorage and the wind changed by 90 degrees and so I dropped the pick (actually Nic did, I just yelled ) and then as soon as we dropped the wind switched back. As the 2 wind shifts were so fast different boats had swung at different rates and ..... oh stuff it: I just SCREWED UP!!!!!!!!

But sitting in the cockpit for 10 minutes it dawned on me the only way out of it was for me to move......

So give people 30 minutes.......... just the sort of latitude you would like when you make a disastrous mistake. Or the wind made it

Great approach, thanks.
DRSandbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 21:06   #70

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
I like the idea of rafting up to them. Have them throw out an anchor for each of you. Get into a poker game (Texas hold'em of course) for boat titles. If you win, hire them to sail your new boat back to a marina, if you lose, present a title to an old boat you left scrapped back home.

Unless of course it is TabbyCat, then it is just strip poker, because you are starting way ahead....
Old 20-07-2010, 21:56   #71
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Pop a Bagpipe CD in.

By the roll...............slow.................march

(I was the lead drummer in a Pipe Band...the one that did the intial roll)

Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 11:01   #72

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
A friend of mine told me a story that might serve as a solution. He was one of a few boats at anchor in a cove (he is a cruiser, not charter) He picked his spot for privacy, away from the other few boats. Sure enough, a boat came and anchored too close to him. He said nothing, just gave them a friendly wave. 30 minutes later they were in the dink to go ashore. When they were out of sight he took up some of his chain. When they returned he pointed out to them that it appeared they might be dragging. They thanked him and then moved. Brilliant.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 17:29   #73

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Thanks Mark.

I also like Gadagirls' friends idea.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 18:35   #74

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
The Best of Metallica usually works, or some screaming kids...
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 22:22   #75

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
In some parts of Mediterranean the anchorages are crowded and its common to have neighbours close.
You do get used to it and it causes surprisingly few problems. Boats swing together and seem to naturally avoid collision even when anchored very close.
Even after several years I have not been hit by a boat swinging into me, but several boats have hit me after dragging and I managed to avoid many more collisions with dragging boats by taking some action.
Many problems occur when the wind dies and the boats on rope rode start to drift as the currents and wind act differently on different designs.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor