Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2010, 09:22   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
What Size Chain to Fit this Windlass

Time to replace the anchor chain but have run into a bit of a conundrum. I of course need to match the new chain to the gypsy in the windlass. The windlass is a S-L Seawolf 520. The gypsy is marked with V and 160 on one side and H and 160 on the other. That is close but does not match the part numbers (171, 180, etc) for any of the gypsy options in my S-L manual which do have chain specs attached for each option.

Next step was to measure the chain and compare with dimensions with new Acco chain. Using a caliper I got the following. Several links were measured to account for wear and manufacturing variation.

Diameter of the links is just slightly less than 7/16", between 0.415-0.425".

Inside length >1 1/8" or 1.12-1.15"

Inside width <9/16 or 0.56"

Overall length +/- 1 15/16"

Overall width +/- 1 3/8"

Almost exactly 10 links per foot.

So checking the Acco/Peerless website this does not match exactly any type chain I've checked so far in 3/8 or 7/16, BBB or HT. I even called 1st Chain Supply and spoke with a very nice person who verified my suspicions that my chain does not exactly match any type they list from Acco.

So any ideas? Should I try to match links/foot and get close to diameter and other dimensions? Does anyone know what the chain specs are for a Simpson Lawrence gypsy part #160?

In general what chain is recommended for the 42 Pearson, 3/8" or 7/16" (in my case would prefer to err on the side of too big)? I did compare the current chain with a section of 3/8" from an old anchor and the current chain is definitely larger.

Also, any recommendation on the best supplier for Acco chain? 1st Chain Supply seems to be pretty good but I'm open to suggestions. FYI depending on the size and type their prices were better than the current sale price at Defender.

Thanks
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 09:32   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Take the gypsy off and take it to WM and try the chain on.
Here's a good spot for chain.
Chain, Chain Supplies, Binder Chains, Lifting Slings and Hooks
Old 21-09-2010, 10:30   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Skip:

5/16" HT chain would work fine for your boat. If you are planning an all chain rode of what, maybe 200 ft, then replacing the gypsy might be cost effective versus buying 3/8" or so chain. I replaced the gypsy on a S-L Anchorman windlass for about $200.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 11:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Take the gypsy off and take it to WM and try the chain on.
Here's a good spot for chain.
Chain, Chain Supplies, Binder Chains, Lifting Slings and Hooks
Well, amazing as it may seem, even though I live in Florida it is about 2 hours to the nearest West Marine and I don't think that location stocks much chain. So for better or worse, I'm stuck with doing this by specs.

Thanks for the link but that is to 1st Chain Supply which is the company I'm dealing with already. Just wondered if they were the best game in town.
Old 21-09-2010, 12:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Skip:

5/16" HT chain would work fine for your boat. If you are planning an all chain rode of what, maybe 200 ft, then replacing the gypsy might be cost effective versus buying 3/8" or so chain. I replaced the gypsy on a S-L Anchorman windlass for about $200.

David
Hi David,

Since the current chain is 7/16", going to 5/16" would be dropping down 2 sizes. I don't think I want to go any smaller than 3/8" HT just to be conservative. Do not have any engineering data to justify that opinion, just based on what's on the boat and what I see on other, similar sized boats. I'm always open to discussion.

This model S-L is 26 years old so parts are problematic. Only source I know is Simpson Lawrence Yacht parts and spares and they only have one size of the gypsy for £125. At today's exchange rate and overseas shipping about USD$250 so would not end up saving anything in the long run. Also not sure what chain that gypsy is sized for and may not be what I want anyway.
Old 21-09-2010, 14:16   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Skip:

5/16" high tensile (HT) chain has a higher working load than 3/8" BBB chain which is close to what you have now. Don't know about 7/16" chain as it is not common. FWIW the working load of 3,900 lbs for 5/16" HT will pull out most anchors you are likely to use.

I talked to a very knowledgable guy at Lewmar US. Call them and ask to speak to windlass tech service. Can't remember his name, but he was great. He gave me correct part number for 5/16" HT and the name of a US dealer that had the gypsy I needed. When I had a problem with installing that gypsy he was very knowledgable about how to make it work.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 14:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Skip:

5/16" high tensile (HT) chain has a higher working load than 3/8" BBB chain which is close to what you have now. Don't know about 7/16" chain as it is not common. FWIW the working load of 3,900 lbs for 5/16" HT will pull out most anchors you are likely to use.

I talked to a very knowledgable guy at Lewmar US. Call them and ask to speak to windlass tech service. Can't remember his name, but he was great. He gave me correct part number for 5/16" HT and the name of a US dealer that had the gypsy I needed. When I had a problem with installing that gypsy he was very knowledgable about how to make it work.

David
Hi David,

Calling Lewmar sounds like a good option. Would like to avoid spending another $200 or more on a new gypsy if I can get the right chain.

I looked closely at the old chain for any markings. Would be very interesting (maybe even helpful) to figure out if this is BBB, HT or something else altogether. All I can find is a flat, oval shaped area on the end of the links that has a figure that looks like a tall, very skinny, upper case "J". Any idea what this might indicate?

Thanks
Skip
Old 23-09-2010, 10:40   #8

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Once upon a time in a place far, far away I had a PDF file with chain manufacturer's marks and sizes. This file seems to have gone on into the ether or the bit bucket and I cannot find a similar listing on the Internet. Anybody got a file or table they might be willing to share?

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 11:24   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Michael,

Don't know if all the info you mention is there but at least all link dimensions, load ratings, etc for all sizes and varieties of Acco/Peerless chain is available on the 1st Chain Supply web site at Chain, Chain Supplies, Binder Chains, Lifting Slings and Hooks

Skip
Old 23-09-2010, 12:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Progress report so far.

1. Called Lewmar and could not get beyond the CS rep that answered to speak to a tech. All she could tell me was what she read in the database which was pretty much useless.

2. Call SL Supplies in UK and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who has all remaining spares and is now building new parts, motors and even planning complete new builds of the old Simpson Lawrence windlasses. He was able to help me identify my gypsy and what chain it's rated for. The secret parts code for old S-L gypsies follows. The part number is three digits.

- first is the series number for the parts from S-L. Should always be the same for the same windlass

- second number equals the number of chain pockets in the gypsy.

- third number is the revision or modification number which is minor and any revision will work with the same windlass.

Example

My manual shows gypsy options;

RC151
RC161
RC171

My gypsy was marked 160 which is equivalent to the 161, or a 162, just the next revision in the part numbers.

If anyone needs full chain compatibility data for the S-L Seawolf 520 gypsies PM me and I will forward.

Skip
Old 03-12-2013, 05:11   #11
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: What Size Chain to Fit this Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

If anyone needs full chain compatibility data for the S-L Seawolf 520 gypsies PM me and I will forward.

Skip
i would love to have this information. will scour the gyp today for my numbers.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 20:51   #12

I have the same windlass with 160 stamped on the gypsy. I have read your thread but still did not find the answer to what chain would fit that gypsy. I would very much appreciate what chain you found that worked.
Regards
Rick
Rick Lovekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 21:11   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Hey skipmac...

Cannot answer your question but I have related info...

5/16 g7 chain from West Marine has almost the same size specs as my acco BBB in total outside length. I think the BBB is 0.1" longer. Didn't know this till I asked maxwell if I could trade in my 3/8" gypsy for one that would work with the G7 and they said it was not necessary because the overall dimensions were so close.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rick.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:43   #15

Thanks for the welcome into the Forum.

I was hoping for the chain compatibility information Skipmac offered in his post of 23 09 2010 dealing with his SL Seawolf 520 windlass with 160 stamped on his gipsy.

If I am correct in reviewing the thread it looks like the 160 is the same as a 162 which in my SL manual it says I can use 5/16 American Proof Coil G3 or 3/8 American BBB. Would anyone have advise on the choice between these two?

I live in Canada with the boat , a CC Endeavor 38 in Florida. I was thinking of buying the chain up here .I just want to make sure the chain will work.Presently I have a rope rode and want to switch to all chain.
My last boat (a Contessa 32) didn't have a windlass. I am looking forward to the ease of lifting the anchor by pressing a button , but before I spend the money on chain I would like to know it is compatible with existing the Sl Seawolf 520
Rick Lovekin is offline   Reply With Quote