Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2024, 02:31   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What's your anchoring etiquette

From “Anchoring in Crowded Harbors” ~ by Darrell Nicholson, in ‘Practical Sailor’
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...rowded-harbors
Quote:
“... By “staggering” your position relative to other boats in a crowded anchorage, you prevent the chance that your boats will make contact...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 05:54   #77

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thin, the "first boat in" rule always seems like an idealized physics problem. It's an overly simplified set of parameters that rarely matches actual reality. In the real world, problems are usually far more complex, and messy.

In an actual busy anchorage, boats are coming and going all the time. Some will arrive early, some late, some stay for days, some for hours. Who's "the first boat" in these situations? How can one even tell?

If I come into an anchorage and there are a four, five... dozens of boats, who's the "first boat" that I supposed to match anchoring patterns to? Unless I can communicate with the other boaters, or unless there is something obvious going on with an unusual anchoring setup, the best I can do is assume people are anchoring to normal standards: 5-7:1 scope, with sufficient space between them.

I do think it is courteous, and right, to be respectful of all the existing boats in an anchorage. As 'the next boat in' I have to find a way to anchor safely, without placing any of the other existing boats at unreasonable risk. But if someone is laying out an unreasonable scope, or anchoring weirdly so as to block others out, then reciprocity dictates I no longer need to respect these folks.

In the real world, it likely means I have to go somewhere else.
Old 26-04-2024, 05:57   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Anchoring spots usually get interesting when boaters return to their boats after an evening of carousing, drinking, partying, etc.
Just trying to find the right boat is challenging for some.
Climbing back aboard, or trying to climb back aboard can have it's moments.
Then there are those that decide to leave the anchorage at night, invariable requiring much shouting, swearing and fist pumping, or finger pointing as the case may be.

I could write a book on the stuff I've seen...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 08:55   #79

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From “Anchoring in Crowded Harbors” ~ by Darrell Nicholson, in ‘Practical Sailor’
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...rowded-harbors

Does Darrell not realize that wind and current can change? Wind backs 40º in that diagram and suddenly they're anchored side by side and not staggered at all.

He's also wrong that it will "prevent the chance the boats make contact." It reduces that chance, but as different boats can behave entirely differently, if you are in the swinging circle of another boat, or another boat is inside your circle, there is always a chance you could contact.

In a crowded anchorage, it's best to ensure your anchor is outside of other swinging circles. If there's adequate room in the anchorage, it's best to ensure your swinging circle does not overlap any other vessel's swinging circle.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 09:25   #80

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

When we come into anchorages where we will be forced to anchor up near someone else, we usually sidle up alongside and ask how much scope they have out.

This frequently draws a blank expression, then we ask "how much chain do you have out?" That gets a response, but not everyone seems to know just how much they have out.

when we can we use 5:1. When we can't we go to 3:1 or if the weather/tides/current will not be an issue 2:1 (don't like this though).

If the anchorage is very crowded, we will go elsewhere if possible

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 13:25   #81

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Or you can do like a cruise ship I witnessed in St. Thomas. They just motored on in and dropped their hook in the midst of the anchored cruising sailboats and watched the fun as they straightened out their chain in the wind and all the cruisers had to scramble like crazy to pull up anchor and get out of the way.
Old 26-04-2024, 13:35   #82

Boat: Downeaster 38

This is how it’s done

Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 14:40   #83

I'm extremely conservative with the elbow room I give other boats. If I pull up where someone else is anchored, I know where their boat is and, if I ask, I have some idea where their anchor is, but ...

People change things up because they find they are dragging anchor or they decide to drop a secondary anchor (or even one off the stern). So, I am not comfortable assuming everyone is going to swing the same.

Around here, currents can easily get up to several knots, even at an anchorage. And, winds can be doing something entirely differently. Each boat reacts to this swirling cauldron differently. Not to mention that tides swing over 10 feet, so you need provide scope accordingly.

So, for me, if our two boats' circles overlap anywhere, I don't want to be there. It's partly just a privacy/peace & quiet thing. But, because I am so conservative in this way, I also try to avoid making plans where I MUST stay at a particular place.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 15:30   #84
Marine Service Provider

While there are rules a-plenty covering anchoring rights and wrongs, do's and don't's, there is really only one rule that matters...common sense rule...sadly lacking amongst many sailors...

It's much like driving a car, where the rules of the road are quite clear, but often one finds themselves in a situation where some out-of-the-box thinking is required. This is especially true in cases where there has been a vehicular accident, etc and one must resort to other means and methods to avoid or become an extension of the accident.

So too, in anchoring situations, where, should one find themselves in a "unigue" situation, to put it mildly, one needs to consider alternate methods to address a situation as it is, rather than expound on " rights" etc. In other words, try to make the best of a given situation and anchor accordingly.
Old 26-04-2024, 16:00   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorgan562 View Post
Does anyone, has anyone heard of a cursing book of etiquette?
https://www.wikihow.com/Swear-Creatively
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 16:16   #86

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
While there are rules a-plenty covering anchoring rights and wrongs, do's and don't's, there is really only one rule that matters...common sense rule...sadly lacking amongst many sailors...

It's much like driving a car, where the rules of the road are quite clear, but often one finds themselves in a situation where some out-of-the-box thinking is required. This is especially true in cases where there has been a vehicular accident, etc and one must resort to other means and methods to avoid or become an extension of the accident.

So too, in anchoring situations, where, should one find themselves in a "unigue" situation, to put it mildly, one needs to consider alternate methods to address a situation as it is, rather than expound on " rights" etc. In other words, try to make the best of a given situation and anchor accordingly.
If only it were that easy. I have to laugh when I think of my old friend who pulled out a Samurai sword once when a guy came in and anchored too close and refused to move! Not something I'd probably do, but the guy moved!

I gotta say, again, I get a little defensive about the local way/custom here to anchor bow and stern. I know to many this sounds like a bad thing, but it really works for all of us, or at least it has. As the older ones of us have moved on or quit cruising the islands I see more folks, probably reading these threads, dropping one anchor in the little anchorages and thereby dramatically shrinking the available space. Now if you have to stay out of the others' swing circles you've really ensured there will be little room especially if someone has been reading those things that advocate 10:1 scope!
What Foswick says about conflicting currents and winds is very true at the Channel Islands as well so that folks on single hooks will typically NOT see themselves swinging in unison. I guess all I'm adding, again, is don't curse us when you pull in and see us on two hooks. Try it, you'll like it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 18:32   #87
Marine Service Provider

I see little sense in trying to provoke a fight or argument with another sailor on another boat as that is hardly likely to solve anything, regarding anchoring.
Throwing out anchoring techniques, rights and privileges, etc, especially to someone that might have a snootful so to speak, is hardly likely to solve anything. This is assuming, we all speak a common language, which is not always the case.

I'm more inclined to take the approach that this is an area or incident to be avoided, whether right or wrong.
My goal, invariably, is to find a spot where I can sleep peacefully thru' the night, and will make my own assessments as to where best to drop the hook.

I tend the view these incidents in the same way I might view an anchorage with difficult wind or tidal situations and will chose a location that promises the best possible outcome for the duration I plan to be there.

Philosophically speaking, it's just cruising, and one must adapt to the weather, no matter what it might be, whether it's in our favor or not.
Taking the moral high ground is not always in one's best interest. Difficult to do at times, I agree, but sometimes the better option is to consider an alternative.
Old 27-04-2024, 02:53   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
In a crowded anchorage*, it's best to ensure your anchor is outside of other swinging circles*.
If there's adequate room in the anchorage, it's best to ensure your swinging circle does not overlap any other vessel's swinging circle.
* Indeed, and that is what his diagram [& Title] indicates.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 09:06   #89

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
* Indeed, and that is what his diagram [& Title] indicates.
True, the diagram does suggest that. But nowhere in the article does he state that. He also states that the vessels will all lie the same way which is patently false. He should have said to flock near like boats in size and characteristics, vis-a-vis windage and similarity of keel. Still not a bad idea to keep a watch for awhile at least to get a sense that you're moving like your neighbours.

While he gives some useful tips for measuring out the distance, surprised he didn't think to mention using radar or laser/optical range-finder to get the distance right. If you have the tools, might as well use them.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 11:44   #90

Geez, in a crowded anchorage just have everyone leave their AIS running so as to transmit and receive information and system notifications warning that two or more boats are going to have an allision with a neighbor and / or a vessel is dragging down on to you. Use the technology that one has onboard. Yeah, one could supplement with RADAR and GPS.

Or simpler just utilize moorings and the entire issue is resolved and with much greater safety, convenience, capacity and ecological consideration.

Anchor Not.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring