Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 21:03   #1

Where Do I Put it ?

Where do I put it?
My 1987 Beneteau 432 needs a windlass. Some of the original 432's just had a capstan mounted aft of the anchor locker by about 4"'. The anchor locker has a hatch covering it and this is my issue. If I use the original location, The windlass will not be mounted over the anchor locker as described in the installation directions that came with my new Lewmar V3. I cannot mount it on the hatch as this would not work very well as you can imagine.
The original mounting location is forward of the V berth in a locker. This locker has enough room for the Lewmar V3 and a battery. The only problem is the chain pipe would not lead into the anchor locker. The anchor locker is about 3’ deep so I think I have enough room to drop the chain pipe about 9” and put a 45 degree bend in it to enter the anchor locker. Is this going to work? What else do I need to consider?
Does anyone else have a similar setup?
Should I mount it in the anchor locker instead? This may require some modification…….
What are your thoughts?
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ View Post
The anchor locker is about 3’ deep so I think I have enough room to drop the chain pipe about 9” and put a 45 degree bend in it to enter the anchor locker. Is this going to work? What else do I need to consider?
Does anyone else have a similar setup?
Your image isn't working - do you have a drawing of the bow of the boat in plan and elevation?

What you're talking about is a spurling pipe, and they work fine if designed properly and the chain has sufficient drop. You have a slight advantage with a horizontal windlass, assuming that's what you meant.

You can build rollers into the pipe, which will greatly help matters. The below pic is nothing like your situation but you get the idea. Horizontal windlass dropping chain and moving it where it's wanted by some distance. Two rollers.

craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The V3 is a vertical windlass, wanting a minimum vertical fall OF 12" from underside of deck to top of rode pile.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 21:36   #4

Craig, thanks for the pictures, Gordy is right the V3 is Vertical. When I clear the snow off the boat, I can take some pictures to show you what I have to deal with. It is going to snow again on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week so I will post some pictures next weekend.
Old 09-01-2011, 15:39   #5

Old 09-01-2011, 15:41   #6

Old 09-01-2011, 15:42   #7

Old 09-01-2011, 15:42   #8

Old 09-01-2011, 15:43   #9

Old 09-01-2011, 15:44   #10

Old 10-01-2011, 19:51   #11

Pictures are posted.....
any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:50   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We had a similar situation to yours. Our Windlass installation is detailed at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-3456-2.html commencing with post #22. In our case the chain leads from the Windlass over a curved nylon guide and into the chain locker. We have 3/8" chain and the weight of the fall is usually adaquate to ensure the chain feeds into the locker although occassionally, one needw give the chain a kick to keep it moving.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 16:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We had a similar situation to yours. Our Windlass installation is detailed at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-3456-2.html commencing with post #22. In our case the chain leads from the Windlass over a curved nylon guide and into the chain locker. We have 3/8" chain and the weight of the fall is usually adaquate to ensure the chain feeds into the locker although occassionally, one needw give the chain a kick to keep it moving.

FWIW...
Nice job. With all the work you put into that instalation, I hope you have not had any trouble since you put it in.
Old 11-01-2011, 16:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

FWIW...
I was thinking along similar lines if I need to put it in the anchor locker, I like your setup better with 2 doors on the anchor locker, I only have one and I think I would have to cut a good size hole in mine. Did you just cut two half moons around yours?
The center post in your locker, was it strong enough to mount the windlass on or did you have to beef it up?
The one on my boat seems pretty sturdy, but I would have to make it wider, it is only about 1.75"' wide. It has some pretty serious cleats mounted on it so I would guess it would be strong enough for mounting a windlass on it.