Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2024, 13:42   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Which anchor as backup?

The Fortress anchor is a great kedge anchor and something I would recommend for most cruising boats. The similar, but less expensive Guardian is also worth considering if you are on a tight budget.

However, in my opinion a Fortress is often not a good replacement if the main primary anchor is lost. It works phenomenally well in soft substrates, but can perform very poorly in some other commonly encountered sea beds. It is also less reliable if there is significant change in the direction of pull.

The Bugel is still worth keeping (as a back up to the primary) even with a Fortress.
Old 01-08-2024, 13:50   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'd say it depends on where you plan to go. Some places you might need an anchor specially designed for rocky bottoms.

I would keep the Bugel, no question at all. The problem with anchors like CQR's is dealing with the pivot when it gets worn, because experientially, the anchor on which you used to rely, just won't hold any more. I think the Brittany anchor you have there was an attempt to suit grassy bottoms, as well as sand. No data on its reliability. The Bugel has a good reputation.

To me, the need for a Fortress depends on what your cruising plans are, and if you have many soft mud anchorages to explore, it could be a good choice, because it is adjustable for really soft mud as well as mud + sand bottoms. They do hold very well with straight pulls, but they do not re-set well, and may bend their shanks when the wind shift comes. But if you need to, say, anchor bow and stern to wedge yourself in a tiny spot, and you then feel cosy, it might be a really good for you.

Like I said, you should feel very safe with your Sarca (good choice!), but some people really enjoy tiny anchorages that can only accept one boat, anchored bow and stern, then either a real Danforth (we still have a #20 lb Danforth HT, which Jim had on his 30 footer when I met him) or a Fortress may be in your future.

Ann
Old 01-08-2024, 16:21   #18

Boat: Catalina 42

Agree that the cqr style hook is a knock off.

Mine says CQR Made in Scotland on one side of the shank and 45 lbs with a long serial number on the other side.

It’s available, anyone interested can pm me.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 17:36   #19

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepijn View Post
Here some better pics. I assumed it to be one. I see no markings whatsoever. Likely not genuine?
The CQR is marked Harbourfast 45 lbs.
Hi Pepijn, I agree with the mentioned already that the pic in this post is close to a Brittany anchor. I had one as spare. It had the name "Brittany" stamped on it, I tried it once in sand and weed, I thought it weas similar holding to Danforth. I never used it because I had to, so sold it. I still have 3 anchors left on the boat. The anchor I use is the same as yours: Sarca Excel.

For you, and not wanting to buy a new one, I would keep the Bugel, otherwise get a Fortress/Guardian.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:31   #20

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

A great second anchor is one that fits on the bow ready to deploy.
Go the the youtube anchor studies by S.V.Penope and make up your own mind.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 14:04   #21

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The question was whether to keep any of the three, not whether to buy another anchor. Knock-off CQR anchors are notorious, and even the genuine CQR can't hold a candle to modern designs (I could be convinced to part with mine). Get rid of it. Similarly, knock-off Danforth designs are suspect, although this seems to be a related design. I would do more research if I was considering keeping it, but most likely would sell it. The Bugel is another matter: if it is genuine it is quite a good anchor and absolutely worth keeping. If it is a copy from a known manufacturer it might be good too. There are a lot of homemade or small-shop built Bugel copies that may or may not be quality. The Bugel are not difficult to make and if everything is symmetrical and the right shape then it should be considered for keeping.

The question that should be asked is what anchors should be on a cruising boat. Personally I believe that the main anchor should be a modern design that will hold the boat in a blow. The second anchor should be a different modern design, the same weight as the primary anchor, and possibly a take-apart for storage. The third anchor should be a proper Danforth or Danforth Hi-Tensile, or a Fortress, mounted against the stern pulpit or in the lazarette. This is very useful for bow-in situations. The Danforth design is great at pulling in one direction but should not be trusted for swinging.

For the OP the Sarca should make a great primary anchor. The Bugel, if well built, would serve well as a secondary anchor. The Danforth-like anchor could be used on the stern, although consider a future upgrade to genuine Danforth or Fortress. Get rid of the CQR copy and you have a nearly ideal (IMHO) combination of anchors without spending any money.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 20:11   #22

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Fortress. I've winched myself off numerous sandbars with it. They are very hard to dig out afterwards.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 21:22   #23

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

I would scrap them all and get an alloy fortress, easy to stow flat or in parts, easy to handle, good holding power in sand and mud. Good for kedging, carrying out in a dinghy, can be tossed a fair way (well a lot further than a steel anchor) all round a great backup anchor that in the right conditions will serve as well as your main anchor if you lose that.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2024, 12:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeve21 View Post
I just replaced a genuine CQR of 40 something pounds with a Sarca Excel of near 50 pounds. I believe it is one size smaller than yours.

Back up is a Fortress that easily stands upright in a molded in space in the anchor locker.

The CQR is now in my shed. Heavier and harder to stow than the Fortress. I anchor mostly in mud, sometimes in sand. I'm a local coastal cruiser at this point. If I was going anywhere distant I'd probably bring all 3. Lose one in the boondocks and now you don't have a backup anymore......
I use exactly the same set up.
southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor