Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2023, 06:59   #1

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island
Which Anchor should I use?

Hi all. Im about to be leaving my boat for a month or so and will be leaving it on anchor(currently on a dock right now).

I have a Morgan 41 OI and I have 2 anchors, a 44 Delta and a 15 Fortress Fluke style. The bottom is all sand/mud and roughly 7-10ft, with a 2ft tide. I was going to scope out 100ft of chain to be on the safe side.

Usually Id call it a day with either one but where Im anchoring, there are very strong currents, usually strong enough to overcome the wind so the boat points against the current instead of vanes into the wind. Im confused about which of my anchors would be better to use in this situation if my boat is changing direction constantly. Thank you for your advice!
TheDrunkenKetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 07:13   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Which Anchor should I use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrunkenKetch View Post
Hi all. Im about to be leaving my boat for a month or so and will be leaving it on anchor(currently on a dock right now).

I have a Morgan 41 OI and I have 2 anchors, a 44 Delta and a 15 Fortress Fluke style. The bottom is all sand/mud and roughly 7-10ft, with a 2ft tide. I was going to scope out 100ft of chain to be on the safe side.

Usually Id call it a day with either one but where Im anchoring, there are very strong currents, usually strong enough to overcome the wind so the boat points against the current instead of vanes into the wind. Im confused about which of my anchors would be better to use in this situation if my boat is changing direction constantly. Thank you for your advice!
Goodie another anchor thread - I'll get the popcorn

To be serious - the Delta will be better to turn with the changing tide - A fortress is not necessarily as good at twisting and resetting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 07:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrunkenKetch View Post

Im confused about which of my anchors would be better to use in this situation if my boat is changing direction constantly.
The Fortress 15 is a 10lb aluminum Danforth. Danforth's don't reverse well and the chain can foul on the tab or stabilizing bars.

IMHO you'd be better off with the 44lb Delta, set well at a scope of 10:1.

Normally I wouldn't put out that much scope, but if you have the room and are going to be gone for a month................
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 10:43   #4

I'd probably use a Bahamian moor (2 anchors off the bow) in this case. Especially with a reversing tidal current. It's exactly what it is for. Keeps the pull on both more or less in the right direction and limits the swinging room from long scopes.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 11:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

If setting out two anchors, make sure there is plenty of slack in both rodes, so when the boat swings it will swing over the slack rode and not into it.

I've done that before. Came back to the boat only to find the two rodes had twisted around each other several times, looked like a braid for about the upper 6'. Had quite the time to unravel it all.

I prefer the double anchor setup, as the boat will stay more or less in a 50' diameter circle, depending on wind and tide conditions.. With a single anchor the swinging room will be the lenght of the rode out, ie, with 100' out, the diameter increases to 200', a big difference.

Finally, be aware that a boat on a single anchor, will sometimes have the rode trailing alonside the hull, making it look like it's anchored from the stern in certain wind against tide situations. This situation can sometimes cause the keel or rudder to get entwined in the rode.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 11:40   #6

Maybe you can use both
I think it's called "bahamian mooring", and it is conceived specifically for tidal changes

This is an example:

Bahamian Mooring.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bahamian Mooring.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	274615  
Old 28-04-2023, 12:12   #7

Your Delta is the easily sufficient for your length of boat per the Lewmar site but at 50,000 lbs the 44 is probably is a better size. Two anchor system would be best.

Will the boat have anyone on board while you are gone? Personally, I would leave it at the dock, knowing my boat is safe but that’s me. Would insurance cover you being away for a month?
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor