Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 21:56   #1

Which Lewmar

I am doing up an older boat and have to get a windlass, can anyone recommend which Lewmar windlass would be good for a Van De Stadt 34?

Appreciate any advice
Norfolk Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 22:52   #2

Re: Which Lewmar

Should have said, using 8mm chain...
Norfolk Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:07   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Which Lewmar

Hi, and Welcome to CF!

To take a shot at your windlass question, here's my $0.02 worth.

1st, Definitely get one which has a warping drum that you can operate independently from the chain's wildcat. And IMO, the best route to go for such, is with a vertical windlass.
Especially as with a vertical windlass, it'll let you put a line on it/pull, from 360, thus greatly increasing the windlass's versatility & utility.

2nd. You need one with a minimum pull of 3x the weight of your heaviest ground tackle combination. And if it's not too much more money, go up a size from there.

3rd. You want something which has a remote (my preference being for such a device which operates via a wire, not a radio link). And also that the windlass allows you to operate it via a remote foot switch should you so desire.

If you're dead set on a Lewmar, go with one of their V series Vertical Windlasses
From talking with Evans Starzinger, he & Beth had a Lewmar V5 on Hawk for a good while, before they sold her. Which is a pretty good endorsement IMO.

That said, my personal preference would be for a Vertical Maxwell. One with the features described above, and which doesn't have an integral chain pipe. So that it can be mounted aft of the chain locker. Specifically, it's drive motor.

Thus, the motor doesn't live in that constantly damp environment, & it also would be positioned where it would be impossible for it to get splashed via errant waves or submersions via the hawse, when the bow is plunging up & down through the water.

That, & with a windlass thusly configured, it makes the windlass a bit easier to mount a little further aft on the boat. To assist in helping to keep as much weight as possible out of the bow.
In addition to, of course, Maxwell's multi-decade reputation for quality & reliability.

Ah, & for the record, were it me, I'd use 6mm (HT G40/G43 chain) on a boat that size. It's stronger than,, definitely lighter, & cheaper than 8mm PC or BBB when comparing WLL's.
That is, of course, unless your boat weighs 10t, & it thus requires 8mm chain.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar