Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 09:44   #46

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Which spare anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Ben Lexen was the Aussie bloke who invented the winged keel that help them steal the America's Cup.
I was aware of that, but his designs, while understandably "the bomb" in Oz, have not become very familiar outside of Oz, to my knowledge, although clearly a lot of people poached his ideas.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:19   #47

Boat: Hobie 16
Re: Which Spare Anchor?

sorry if duplicate. I didn't keep up with entire thread. with a 40-ft mono you'd def not want anything smaller than FX-37 & maybe even next size up. Fortress is great for holding power, but can be problematic for setting in certain conditions. Have you heard of Mantus Anchors? It's a local company (TX) & he had some displays set up at after a recent regatta. The anchor breaks down for easy storage - def a plus for spares.
red.sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 16:20   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Which spare anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post

I haven't anchored in any storms before, however my theory would be to have a length of chain of approx 6m (18ft) shackled to the primary's heel and have the danforth off that - so that the anchors are in tandem/series. Which should theoretically take advantage of the Rocna's resetting ability and the danforth's ultimate holding power.

BTW, two anchors in series works quite well. I sometime use it aboard my boat with the combination of a bruce with a fortress off its head. Definitely increases holding power. A bit of a pain to retrieve the anchor off the head, but pre-rigging a short floating retrieval line off the head anchor helps with this issue.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:57   #49

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Which Spare Anchor?

If you want to save a little money and don't think you will be anchoring in mud a lot get a Guardian instead of a Fortress. It is made by Fortress and is identical except that the angle of the flukes is fixed rather than adjustable.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor