Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 22:47   #76
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Windlass Battery - deep cycle or starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post

There is no single solution for every installation and numerous factors have to be considered to arrive at the best solution for this instance.

So RamblinRod, for a windlass/thruster powered by a dedicated battery, with a dedicated charger, is it best to use a deep cycle or start battery?
A start battery will work, but a deep cycle is better. A GRP 24 Deep cycle (~85 Ahrs), can handle a 100 A draw for 15 minutes no problem. And don't forget, a 1200W windlass draws 100A when it is near stalled (most times it is drawing a lot less).
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 00:14   #77

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

54' boat
400Ah engine bank is amidship
Through a separator, and a 200A fused switch, the line reaches a dedicated electric board, and further on to the utilities (say 30'+30')

Utilities are always operated under engine (80A alternator) and for several seconds only (B-T 400A) or few minutes (windlass 120A)

Yes, it worked for 15years, but I wonder cables are a black untinned mass now...

Spare thoughts:
1. Starting afresh, I would reconsider a 24V system for the whole engine bank (engine starter, windlass, B-T) thus halfing Amperage on all the Heavy Utilities onboard
1.1 yes, I believe that 12V is a PITA.
1.2 electric engines and solar panels will both push the standards to 48V or 70V systems, in the next decades...

2. How to improve the systems now? In order of complexity:
2.1 an AGM deep cycle battery on bow, lined to a 30A eco-charger after the engine bank
2.2 a 60A lithium battery charged by dedicated solar panel ( 40W)
2.3 a DC generator

I think future is made up with:
DC generators+lithium batteries+inverters to AC

VAC to DC chargers are stupidly expensive, inefficient (55%) and will be kept in contempt in the years to come.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 12:10   #78
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
54' boat
400Ah engine bank is amidship
Through a separator, and a 200A fused switch, the line reaches a dedicated electric board, and further on to the utilities (say 30'+30')

Utilities are always operated under engine (80A alternator) and for several seconds only (B-T 400A) or few minutes (windlass 120A)

Yes, it worked for 15years, but I wonder cables are a black untinned mass now...

Spare thoughts:
1. Starting afresh, I would reconsider a 24V system for the whole engine bank (engine starter, windlass, B-T) thus halfing Amperage on all the Heavy Utilities onboard
1.1 yes, I believe that 12V is a PITA.
1.2 electric engines and solar panels will both push the standards to 48V or 70V systems, in the next decades...

2. How to improve the systems now? In order of complexity:
2.1 an AGM deep cycle battery on bow, lined to a 30A eco-charger after the engine bank
2.2 a 60A lithium battery charged by dedicated solar panel ( 40W)
2.3 a DC generator

I think future is made up with:
DC generators+lithium batteries+inverters to AC

VAC to DC chargers are stupidly expensive, inefficient (55%) and will be kept in contempt in the years to come.
Maintaining a generator is a PITA. Currently, they are a necessary evil if one wishes to operate high loads for long periods.

Your suggestion has merit for the near future.

But the distant future solution is Mr. Fusion. ;-)

Ramblin Rod
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, wind, windlass