Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 12:05   #1

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Windlass, battery, solar panel

Is it possible to run a windlass solely off a good size SLI battery refreshed by a solar panel for a Bruce 33, 150 feet 3/8 BBB chain, 300 feet 1" rode
Tx
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 13:37   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Windlass, battery, solar panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Is it possible to run a windlass solely off a good size SLI battery refreshed by a solar panel for a Bruce 33, 150 feet 3/8 BBB chain, 300 feet 1" rode
Tx
Bill
I'm not sure what a "SLI battery" is, but assuming you just mean a plain old flooded lead acid battery bank, yes, it is possible. Just need to size the capacity of the bank and solar large enough.

I believe the safe, continuous discharge current of your flooded lead acid bank is about 20% to 25% of the total capacity. You have the current draw of the windlass, so size the bank accordingly. Will need to also have large wires to avoid the voltage drop. There are charts everywhere on the web to calculate the required wire size for a 3% (and 10%) voltage drop.

The amount of needed solar is based on how much energy you use each day and, indirectly, the size of the bank. There are dozens of threads on this forum that directly answer this question.

All that said, using the engine's alternator to power the windlass has advantages. One, you generally shouldn't "pull" the boat using the windlass. Two, the Peukert effect may make running the windlass directly from the alternator much more efficient from a charging perspective.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 13:51   #3

Boat: Bayfield B36
Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecutter36

" you generally shouldn't pull the boat using the windlass." Why??
I have a windlass that should pull me off a grounding. What is wrong with using it to pull me up to the anchor or even pulling UP a piece of reef ?
Stonecutter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 14:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter36 View Post
I have a windlass that should pull me off a grounding. What is wrong with using it to pull me up to the anchor or even pulling UP a piece of reef ?

Don't know, but whatever make your windlass is, I bet they caution you from using the windlass to pull the boat up to the anchor and recommend instead you using the engine. Myself, I am guilty, I use the windlass to pull the chain tight, then stop, boat begins to move, pull the slack out, stop, repeat until I am over the anchor.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 14:17   #5

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter36 View Post
Just a function on how hard you care to push your windlass. Pulling the boat forward in calm condition wouldn't be taxing. When there is 30 knots of wind and waves? You'll want the engine to give you forward movement. It's a similar reason to not using the windlass as a cleat for the chain; that is, when at anchor, using a chain hook to take the load off the windlass and placing it on a stronger bow cleat.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 14:56   #6

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

SLI battery,,,starting/lighting/ignition i.e. just a plain car battery :-)
Bill

Quote:
Tx
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:59   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

I don't understand why anyone is on your case, you just asked if you could run your windlass off a battery. I have a group 27 agm just for the windlass and it never has a hard time. The windlass motor will overheat before the batt gets low. For several years I had a diode inline to it so the volts were low, like 12.6 and it still worked fine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 17:03   #8

boat delivery guy tried to pull up a stuck anchor, stalled it and melted out the solder in a couple of commutator connections. 200 euros later, all good (not!)
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 17:29   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes, it is.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:46   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Tx
Bill
sure, assuming the details allow
Old 09-08-2016, 08:53   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

With solar, unless it's a big array, don't plan on multiple anchor up iterations in a day. The battery recharge will be low amperage and take a bit of time to recharge the battery. A bigger battery will help but take longer to put back more amps. In typical anchor usage, wouldn't be an issue but could be if you are the type that likes to shift positions many times in short order. Of course, if you can also charge the windlass battery with the engine, it wouldn't be an issue.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

The purpose for which the windlass is designed is to lower and recover the ground tackle, not to move the boat. Similarly, when at anchor, loads should be taken by a chain stopper or snubbing cleat, not the windlass gearbox. Of course, we all break these rules from time to time and in so doing, sometimes break the windlass.
Too soon old, too late smart.
Hang in there
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:04   #13

Hi Bill:
I have a setup like that on my sailboat. A 22 pound Delta fast set, 125 feet of 1/4" chain with a small Maxwell windlass. Battery is an interstate group 29 deep cycle. I have 30 watt solar panel with a controller on it. I have anchored up to three times in one day and still had enough "juice" to get the anchor lifted. I DO NOT pull the boat to the anchor instead I put the boat in forward at pretty much idle and use the windlass to retrieve the chain and lift the anchor to the bow. I then manually pull it onto the bow roller and pin the chain in place. This is a basic setup, it has worked for me for two years now. Also the battery is not connected to anything else on the boat (stand alone power source for the windless).
Good luck
Bruce
Allure2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:47   #14

This seems to be a poor idea. Not only does a windlass battery need to be charged fully each time but you may find yourself in a situation where you need to anchor and re anchor several times to be safely secured. Without engine or other back up charging ,especially AT NIGHT, you'll be the creek without a paddle.
Any windlass will and can bring the battery charge down extremely fast. Just one of those nights that a storm come running through and you have tyo either pick up and re anchor somewhere else you'll find yourself without a windlass.....not a good idea.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:45   #15

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I agree, a battery seams the best way to power a windlass. Recharging by solar or other means depends on the rest of the boat setup.
I believe the 'caution' in the documentation for the windlass saying don't pull the boat with it is there because there is no temp cut out or warning on the motor. Theoretically if you hauled the boat for long enough either the motor would burn up or catch fire as they are not continuous duty rated. The manufacturer would either face a warranty claim or fire liability. By advising against it they reduce both and it becomes your fault for not following instructions. The only alternative would be a bigger, heavier and more expensive motor.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar, wind, windlass