Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2023, 05:52   #1

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons
WINDLASS CHAIN IS SLIPPING. WHY?

Greetings,

I have installed a brand new 2023 Falkon horizontal windlass model 404732 with 13 mm Din 766 short link galvanized grade 43 chain rated at 10.6 tons. The chain was specified to Falkon before manufacture and is also new. Can anyone with the required knowledge explain why the chain is slipping. The chain is positioned at 90 degrees over the drum. Regrettably my video failed to load.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:04   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: WINDLASS CHAIN IS SLIPPING. WHY?

Is the chain slipping, or is the gypsy slipping??

Gypsy slipping probably just means the clutch is too loose.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:18   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

A video would help

Next step would be to measure the chain with a caliper and see if it matches the spec

Then look at the identifying marks (part number etc) on the chainwheel and confirm it is the right one
Old 09-08-2023, 07:29   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Too short chain drop after the windlass. The weight of the chain is the only thing holding chain in place on the gypsy.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:31   #5

Hard to say. without more info.. but some ideas... In no order, but worth consideration.

If the chain is brand new, and was hot-dipped galvanized, sometimes if the coating is nice and thick (which it should be) to can be a bit "lumpy" which makes the chain flow poorly and not fit tightly down in the gypsy. This usually fixes itself pretty quickly with use, and zinc is soft and the lumps wear off very quickly.

Check to be sure the gyspy is the right one. Lofrans gypsies have a size spec stamped or cast into them. Just because the invoice says the size is right does not mean the correct one was actually shipped. Same with the chain. Measure and be sure.

If you have a very short fall to the locker, it is certainly possible that the chain can be getting clogged on the way down. Lofrans spec for the distance from the gypsy the the top of the chain pile in the locker is a minimum of 30cm... do you meet that?
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:44   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Greetings,

I have installed a brand new 2023 Falkon horizontal windlass model 404732 with 13 mm Din 766 short link galvanized grade 43 chain rated at 10.6 tons. The chain was specified to Falkon before manufacture and is also new. Can anyone with the required knowledge explain why the chain is slipping. The chain is positioned at 90 degrees over the drum. Regrettably my video failed to load.
I have a horizontal windlass also (Lighthouse 1501.) The chain will occasionally skip (when new and now that it is 9 years old- full time use.) I have conferred with other owners of the same windlass and compared notes on successful mitigations.

I wrote an analysis with photos (shared Google Doc from my private account) of successful mitigations others have instituted if you are interested in details of my experiences and investigations. (It also contains a few future considerations/ideas for my windlass install which you can ignore.)

Best wishes resolving the issues with your system.

Cheers, Bill

PS: I will also attach a PDF of the current document. The above link leads to the current live document which is updated on occasion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Windlass - Chain Interaction_ Troubleshooting.pdf (1.02 MB, 38 views)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:02   #7

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

Thanks so much for the replies, One of the issues that has been suggested is too short a chain drop. I definitely have that problem. Ill go through the replies and check each suggestion raised. The spec being printed on the unit is very helpful too.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:55   #8

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I have discovered a few points that may assist. I assume chain skips on gypsy . Galvanising wearing off chain , teeth on gypsy worn ( in this case I have installed stainless teeth on gypsy ) just an M5 cheese head bolt ,tapped in to gypsy on ea. tooth. Lack of grip due to short chain fall. A simple device that applies pressure to the gypsy via a rubber wheel on a lever. My issue is a very heavy anchor + chain lift.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

this is normally problem bigger chain mor slipping.
solution see picture.

more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 13:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
this is normally problem bigger chain mor slipping.
solution see picture.

Hey More
I did not start this conversation but have a question re that delrin block in the picture it looks like a very smooth ride down I have a rubber rolller quite bumpy where can I order this picture's item
Thanks CK
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 15:25   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
A video would help

Next step would be to measure the chain with a caliper and see if it matches the spec

Then look at the identifying marks (part number etc) on the chainwheel and confirm it is the right one
I second using calipers to measure the chain. I suggest you measure 5 consecutive links and then take the average. I have found a fair bit of difference link to link.

When measuring the links you want the material thickness but also the length of the opening; front to back.

Last year I had chain wear out. It had minimum corrosion loss, thickness was good. But it had abraded where the links met, and so it was as if the chain had lengthened, become too long for the gypsy.

In any case, the first thing is to assure you know the the real link length.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass