Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2007, 08:53   #1

Windlass motor connections

A simple question for those in the know. On the motor for a Nillson Maxwell windlass which post is the positive and which is ground? I seem to remember the side post or "field" is positive. Old age is creeping in and the motor has been being rebuilt for the better part of a month, all thats left on re installation is power and the list is shortened yet again. many thanks.
stuffinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 10:28   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffinbox
A simple question for those in the know. On the motor for a Nillson Maxwell windlass which post is the positive and which is ground? I seem to remember the side post or "field" is positive. Old age is creeping in and the motor has been being rebuilt for the better part of a month, all thats left on re installation is power and the list is shortened yet again. many thanks.
Yo Stuff,

since it is not marked, it could be reversable. Try it.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 12:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Which model winch do you have. Is it reversing?? Reversing units have three posts. "A" is the Negative and "F1" & "F2" are the positive connections. If used as an up only, then which ever of those two makes the winch wind in the correct direction, but it shoudl normally be "F1".
If nit is a single feild winch motor, ie, it has only the two posts, then connect in direction that makes the winch turn in the direction you want.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 15:42   #4

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Windlass

I would use relays to operate the windlass once you have figured out which direction to wire the motor--rigged so that when anchor is down there is no electrical connection to the windlass motor from the battery system either positive or negative. If one does not do this it is possible to lose the galvanising from the anchor chain fairly quickly--or corrode some other part of the hull, since you have made the anchor an extra earth path for any electrolysis or stray currents leaving the vessel.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 17:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Mike, There is a better reason.

They don't make switches that you can mount on the deck that can handle that many amps. Using the relay is the only way to do this as the relay can use low amperage to open and close the switch. The other mistake you can make is to not replace the factory pigtails on the motor with proper sized wire. It needs to be as thick as the wires coming forward else you'll burn out the motor. You don't just splice onto the pigtails. There are tables that tell you how thick based on how far.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 03:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some typical Windlass Wiring Diagrams (Lofrans), illustrating Wheels description:

2 & 4 Wire:
http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com...re_diagram.jpg

3-Wire:
http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com...ng_Diagram.jpg

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 07:21   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have the instruction manual from Nilsson Maxwell and will try to post it tonight.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 05:47   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Pigtails

Paul Blais wrote:
The other mistake you can make is to not replace the factory pigtails on the motor with proper sized wire. It needs to be as thick as the wires coming forward else you'll burn out the motor.

Paul I find that statement hard to believe. I'm currently installing a windlass and no where in the instructions does it say to do this. It would seem to me that one should be concerned about the total resistance in the path to the motor. The length of the pigtails are so short that it would cause an insignificant voltage drop.

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 07:07   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
If I was at my boat I'd be able to look it up in the manual. Is it a vertical with fold out cranks for manual operation and a combination chain and rope winch?
Old 18-11-2007, 09:47   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Paul I find that statement hard to believe. I'm currently installing a windlass and no where in the instructions does it say to do this.
Neither did the previous owner. When they over fused the circuit the pig tails burned out before the main line could start on fire because they were sized correctly and the pigtails were not. That was a case where the mistake prevented the larger fire but it might not have worked they way in another situation. You can then run a single line from the selonoid to the windlass and not require any splice at all. I don't see the case where the pigtails are long enough very often. No splice is also a good thing too.
Old 18-11-2007, 13:29   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
The short pigtails serve as fusible links unless you remove them. Generally they are rated to carry the current recommended for the motor--but the main leads aft should be as heavy as you can get them and run in separate conduits. If you leave pigtails on and they do fuse--molten copper can start fires, even though it may prevent motor burn-out.

Make sure you use heavy relays so that the winch at idle is not part of the earthed system, or when the anchor is down the zinc will become a sacrificial anode and your galvanizing will not last very long.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 13:50   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']If you leave pigtails on and they do fuse--molten copper can start fires, even though it may prevent motor burn-out.[/FONT]
I can say from first hand experience they don't. The motor was as burned as the wires. It was an unusual situation primarily due to a fuse that was too high. I would agree with everything else Mike. There are a lot of details you just don't get in an installation manual. It's one of the reasons I still learn things here too.